Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• retread tyres

Hi all

What are the general opinions on retread tyres versus brand new ones?

For example these are available on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/x4-255-70R...item3f108c2062

Having visited the RMA website http://www.retreaders.org.uk/default.htm retreads are in thoery as good as new tyres, if made to their standards.... but is this always the case or is there a real risk of buying something that tears itself apart under a bit of stress?

Equally if anyone has second hand 255 70 R15 tyres they are looking shot of, please let me know.

Cheers David
    Last edited by DavidB; 12 December 2011, 18:44.

Personally i wouldn't touch them, any of them, no matter how good the manufacturer claims they are.

Others may have different views.
    If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

I've had bad experience with remoulds on a different vehicle so I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. I was driving at high speed on a motorway after getting them fitted the same day and a 6" x 2" piece of tread came right off

Comment

Nothing wrong with well made remoulds, but I think a bit of research into the manufacturer is worthwhile. I had a couple of Colways on a previous Surf ( BFG AT copies) and they were fine. Ive heard or read that INSA are good remoulds, and an old workmates brother, who was a salesman with Dunlop informed me that the majority of aircraft tyres are remoulds.
        Сви можемо

Comment

I'm with Bogus, but remould Mud Terrians don't feel as nice as new big brand M/T's, they tend to be older less advanced tread patterns.

Wouldn't have to many issues with modern remoulds.
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Just seen link, those tyres are not daily driver or road tyres!

They'll be noisy and suck in the wet compared to All Terrains, but work ok offroad.
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I was looking for a pair for two rear AT's in that size and had been previously been offered remoulds for £90 each by a local garage which i dismissed at once, one because they were remoulds and two because elsewhere I was offered new General Grabbers at £96 each fitted... but still hoking around for cheaper tyres I saw that link and it made me wonder if they were worth considering..... I get the impression that you may get what you pay for, despite the hype.

Thanks for the replies.

Comment

Know a couple of people running Malatesta`s, infact I`m thinking changing to Kaimens myself next year, awesome offroad tyres but as mentioned above not road friendly at all, they absolutely howl at anything above a walking pace and are pretty much unbalencable (not sure thats a word, sorry ).

With the price difference between remoulded and budget new road tyre`s being so small it`s really not worth buying remoulds these days unless you can get a really good deal, if you can get a good deal then personally I wouldnt turn down a good remould, plus you tend to get an unlimited lifetime guarantee with a quality remould.

Comment

Working...
                X