Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mixing MT and AT

Hi Folks,
    What are your thoughts on having 2 MT treads at the back and 2 AT`s on the front. (Apart from looking naff!) Size 31/10.50/15. I`ve got free-wheeling hubs. The reason is I currently have Colway AT`s and want to buy 2 MT`s now and 2 later when finances permit. Some people say it`s taboo but I dont see a problem.
    Cheers,
    Chris
    Powered by Toyota!

I have heavier treaded tyres on the back and have no problems. However I do make sure that I only engage 4WD on VERY loose / slippery surfaces.
    My other cars a QUAD
    (sv1000spilot on surf forums)
    http://www.devonandcornwall4x4response.co.uk/index

Comment

The only real issue is the size difference, not all 31x10.50 are the same size, differing sizes would cause wind up in 4wd. In 2wd i don't see a problem at all, and certainly not with the FW/Hubs.

I'm tempted to go kingpin MTs from www.mjmotorfactors.co.uk for my next set of muds, i've seen single tires that cost the same as a set of 4 and i was more than happy with my old colway muds (which were pretty similar) until one fell off the rim driving out of an offroad site with a puncture.
      =========
      =SOLD UP!=
      =========

Comment

Thanks, so should be fine as long as I only use 4wd when needed. When off-roading, I`d keep the hubs locked and select 4wd for tough, loose, muddy sections and de-select when normal dirt-track , grass etc.
        I could live with that.
        Nero,
        I looked at those tyres as well but the delivery shoots the price up.
        These are my choice:
        Maxxis Buckshot mudders @ £59 from Camskill
        Toyo Transpath MT @ £67.00 from Value Tyres.
        Both are the delivered price incl. Vat.
        If I were to spend a little bit more then the Maxxis Trepidor would be my choice as more serious off-road tyre and I love the side-walls!
        cheers for now,
        chris