Kumho kl71 or BFG MTs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kumho kl71 or BFG MTs

I think I have narrowed my choice to these.
    I'm limited to what I can get in 285/75/16.
    I don't want to change wheels.

Kl71s £392
    BFG MTs £444

So given the £52 price differance my question ,am I nuts considering the kl71
    Anyone running the BFG muds or kl71s in this 33" size?
    If so what they like on the road
    Brian

grizzlys on steels for the extra 50 quid http://www.bronco4x4.com/productDeta...=908&catID=147

and keep whatever your running now for road use, assuming your only changing coz you want some muds
    =========
    =SOLD UP!=
    =========

Comment

I thought bronco went bust?

The tyres are for alloy wheels I've sitting in the garage would like to use them.
      I have 31" General Grabber ATs that I wll keep for road use till they are dead.
      Brian

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
        I thought bronco went bust?

The tyres are for alloy wheels I've sitting in the garage would like to use them.
        I have 31" General Grabber ATs that I wll keep for road use till they are dead.
        colway went bust about the same time, not sure if bronco actually went bust or if people were just getting confused. Seems bronco are still alive and kicking atleast in the retail side of things, but may just be selling existing stock but ceased manufacturing?

IMO all 3 are good tyres, the kumhos will have better road performance, the bfg's will last longest, I think the grizzlys would have the edge offroad but at the expense of diabolical on road properties. Both the BFGs and kumhos perform reasonably well onroad from what i've read on here, although i find the kumhos quite noisy, but they were allready part worn when i was given them ( GWH200) and told they had got noisier as they've started to wear.
        =========
        =SOLD UP!=
        =========

Comment

Thanks Ian so kl71s is capable tyre.
          Im only about 14mile to work and hopefull of picking up a run about later n the year so truck would sit most of the week.

Anyone got experiance good or bad on the BFGs
          Brian

Comment

Hello mate!

Ive just ordered some BFG muds.

Im not sure how they are going to handle etc. an i have no idea what Kumhos are like. Ive heard nothing but good things for both - the one majour thing is that the BFG will outlast the kumho (unless you get a puncture eh clay?)

So for that tiny difference in price you could be looking at a few thousand miles more use.

Also - check out 305/70/16 - the true 33x12.50!!

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.p...6b0s2222p11220

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.p...6b0s2222p12014

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.p...6b0s1682p11219

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.p...6b0s1682p12004

Comment

Cheers mate yep that's where I'm ordering from once I make my mind up Or I am push in favour of one based on forum opinion.

The 305/70 kl71 is cheaper than the 285/75 more rubber less money?
              Supose it's just an extension of the 15" being cheaper than a 16" despite th 15" having bigger side walls.

I was going for the 285/75 as I hopped the 11.5" width would reduce any rubbing issues what you lot think?

Should I go 305/70 this is just over a 12" wide tyre correct?
              Brian

Comment

I would go for 305's mate.

Ive seen a few comparisons when i was thinking about keeping my current 16" alloys.

305 looks soooo much better - Im not in a place to get in the narrow vs wide tyre debate because i dont know much about that side of it!

But either way, 305 will rock your socks!

it shouldnt rub that much more, its pretty much the same height as a 285/75 an only a bit wider!

IMHO - 305/70/16 BFG MT - you wont go wrong mate!!

Comment

I've got 33" BFG's. They are noisy, but that's subjective. They are a lot noisier than the Geolander AT's it came in. They are a lot noisier than the 31" macho's I had on my Sammy. They are less noisy than when I first got them , they would squeal like a piggy on roundabouts. Noisier than Kumho, I don't know?
                  Also my aerials broken so I haven't tried to drown them out.
                  Sounds great when cutting through mud though
                  They seem to handle well though both on and off road, but I've not pushed them hard in either situation yet.
                  Wax on, wax off

Comment

Funny how subjective noise is, I think BFG Muds are much more quiet than my Macho type muds on my Hilux.

I have 255/85/16 BFG M/T's 33.3" dia without the width of "normal" 33"'s
                    I Love Wales

Comment

IF i was buying tyres again now, I would be buying something nice for the road. And something cheap for the mud - if i could get colway muds again I would - they never let me down and IMO were better in the soft stuff than the kumhos, sure they were soft compound noisy fast wearing remoulds - but they were cheap as chips and performed really well in the mud even once they were cut up and missing tread blocks. But that's the problem with them after 15000 road miles and a load of abuse offroad they were less than legal to use on the road due to the cut's and damage sustained off road. Whether a harder compound tyre would be more resistant to offroad damage i'm yet to be convinced.

BTW the colway m/ts are/were the exact same tread pattern as BFGs.

Width - it's more down to the offset of the wheels whether they will rub or not. I like the look of tall narrow tyres, aslong as they're not sat so far back under the arches they look stupid. Didn't smiffy have some taller narrower tyres at one point? Sure there's pics somewhere.
                      =========
                      =SOLD UP!=
                      =========

Comment

Here is mine with narrow(ish) tall tyres. Just a 2" suspension lift to fit these 33"'s

I Love Wales

Comment

Personally having used BFG ever since I bought my first Surf, that's what I'll be sticking with when I get my 33's in the near future - the wear rate is superb. Also, the KL71's are a directional tyre which means you couldn't swap 'em round if you needed to!

Cheers, Nick
                          "The force will be with you, always!"

Comment

I got 33 inch bfg's. I put them on for the 1st time on saturday, and used them in the rain all weekend. They r fine.

Comment

heres a pic of my kl71 33.12.5.15's

im thinking of looking at bfg muds next time round,but these have been a really good tyre(so may stay with them,dunno yet)
                              Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Working...
                              X