Wind Deflectors - To Remove or Not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wind Deflectors - To Remove or Not

Before I got my Surf, I thought - stupid looking things - they'll be first against the wall when I get one. Now I've got one, I'm beginning to warm to them (a bit). Of course I guess everyone else thinks the same as I used to so before I lose the willpower completely, if I take them off - can anyone tell me:

Is it still a Surf without them?
    Is it true water runs in when it rains?
    Does it increase/decrease wind noise?
    Will it leave marks/bits of foam stuck to the doorframe?
    How much can I get for them if I flog them?
    I I flog them, will that make it more difficult to sell (can't imagine doing that unless trading up)?

Cheers

Kev

I think they look pants...
    Yes!!!
    Dont know - you have aircon though
    Dont know - i guess more noise
    You can always get marks out
    Quite a bit on eBay, £50ish? someone help me out here
    Hard to sell if not a full set I would imagine

Tim
    Tim
    Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Is it still a Surf without them?

Taking all the tinted plastic and chromed bathroom fittings off your car and removing all the "Hilux" and "Surf" badges has a certain appeal.

Is it true water runs in when it rains?

Only when you open the door and you can probably remember to open the door a bit then wait a second before you get out so you don't get wet.

Does it increase/decrease wind noise?

The plasticky things increase wind noise and fuel consumption. They also restrict your vision quite alarmingly when its raining or dark.

Will it leave marks/bits of foam stuck to the doorframe?

Unless you're very careful removing them you may rip a lot of the lacquer off the door frame.

How much can I get for them if I flog them?

Probably quite a lot but why deprive yourself of the pleasure of putting them in a pile and kicking them into pieces that will fit in your dustbin.

I I flog them, will that make it more difficult to sell (can't imagine doing that unless trading up)?

Depends if the car has any huge strips of paint missing after the removing but the way Surf prices are going these days it wont really matter - youre going to lose a fortune anyway!

Comment

I used to think they were a waste of time, but they have their uses, especially with the amount of rain we get, I like fresh air in the car and they work really well letting you have the window open a little.

The Bullet looks good, they match the sunroof deflector and rear spoiler well, but took them off the 2.4 that didn't have any other plastic and it looked smoother.

Its your Surf, do what you want.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
          I used to think they were a waste of time, but they have their uses, especially with the amount of rain we get, I like fresh air in the car and they work really well letting you have the window open a little.

The Bullet looks good, they match the sunroof deflector and rear spoiler well, but took them off the 2.4 that didn't have any other plastic and it looked smoother.

Its your Surf, do what you want.
          never had them on to start but do now, as Tony says like the window open a bit so dont get rain in when its raining, as a smoker me fag dont get wet either as I flick me ash out the window.
          Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
          My choice
          Back off

Comment

if you take em off i'll ave em, first refusals please.

Comment

Well, thanks for all the advice. The situation has become a little more complicated after I had a closer look at them. Someone has use silicone sealer to fill the gap between the front deflectors and the door frame. Nice looking job and I suppose it makes them quieter, but presumably impossible to remove without high risk of cosmetic damage. On reflection, that actually makes it simpler - not more complicated - they'll just have to stay. I've noticed too that they are not the standard Toyota badges ones but have EGR on them and the front ones are much deeper than I've seen, with a dark red tint that matches the wine colour of the truck nicely. I guess I'll be keeping them now, unless anyone has any ideas about the silicone.

Cheers

Kev

Comment

Took mine off and got £40.00 for them.

They hinder visibility a lot, and make driving two tons of steel very hard sometimes around town.
                I'd rather be scared to death than bored to death

Comment

Have decided to keep them - the recent rain made me realise how useful they are - open the window and keep dry.

There is a full set on ebay right now -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...494461570&rd=1

- up to £62, so they seem to be an appreciating asset.

Cheers

kev

Comment

Originally posted by exmee46
                    I've noticed too that they are not the standard Toyota badges ones but have EGR on them and the front ones are much deeper than I've seen, with a dark red tint that matches the wine colour of the truck nicely.
                    Sounds identical to mine - I was a bit iffy about them as they do make reversing in the dark a pain, especially with the windows tinted as well.

I've got used to them and just wind the window down now, and as others have said - if you like to have the window open or are a smoker they're actually pretty useful.

Comment

Sounds identical to mine - I was a bit iffy about them as they do make reversing in the dark a pain, especially with the windows tinted as well.

What you seem to have missed here is, you are in a surf, when revesing, the only thing to worry about is brick walls and other surfs!

You can get the slim line and full size jobbies on here,
                      http://www.4x4accessoriesandtyres.co...w_deflect.html

Personally, the only thing I don't like about them is, your fag can and will bounce back in when you flick it out the window.
                      Due caution should be used at all times!
                      Or, open the window a tad more!
                      Back in the world of Surfdom

Comment

Maybe I'm just short but they dont affect my visibility at al!.
                        I like them, but then again I have a full set of door deflectors (the later sort which fit better), and the sunroof deflector, and the rear window deflector.

The rear window deflector is particularly good in summer when the window is down as you get no exhaust smell through the window with it on.

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                        X