Gps Navigation System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gps Navigation System

Will a G.B. or European disc work without any mods? The import came complete with Toyota NVN V60 system and Jap disc but I don't understand Japanese. Have recently been told all i have to do is put in a G.B. disc and the system will work o.k. Could do with some more feedback before i go and make the purchase.
    Last edited by mikew; 19 July 2004, 19:00.

I have the same system in my surf, it's ok for radio cd's and cassette and that's it, no chance of getting the nav working as they work off different systems.

Comment

Greetings from the colonies;

Probably not what you wanted, but here is what I did.

Next step is a carputer with the GPS hooked up etc.

ANZAC

Comment

I would bob over to http://pocketgpsworld.com/index.php for all things GPS.

Ask your questions on the forums there, you may get some help.

Alternatively take a look at the geodata providers websites to see if they offer map discs for your particular model.
        http://www.navteq.com/index.html
        http://www.teleatlas.com/homepage.jsp
        Ian
        One day my paranoia will go away!

Comment

Originally posted by mikew
          Will a G.B. or European disc work without any mods? The import came complete with Toyota NVN V60 system and Jap disc but I don't understand Japanese. Have recently been told all i have to do is put in a G.B. disc and the system will work o.k. Could do with some more feedback before i go and make the purchase.

Are they not llike DVDS in that a region coding is enforced?????
          [ie Region 1 US, Region 2 UK etc]
          Gaz

Comment

No they are not region coded.

It depends on the GPS software that you initially buy as to which country maps you can get but other countries are available to purchase seperately.
            (Mainly Western Europe and North America)

The dedicated systems, such as the in-car sat nav will have specific software and it depends if map discs are available for that particular kit. Thats why I suggested checking the geodata providers for disc compatibility for a particular system. Other than that you are free to buy and use any maps that are available to you.

I have a PDA based GPS and all I need are the map discs for each country I am visiting. I currently have maps for the whole of Europe.

If I decide to visit North America I simply purchase the North America map disc for my system.
            Last edited by icsys; 23 July 2004, 00:09.
            Ian

Comment

A good system for use is by using a PDA with Tom Tom on it the whole package including mounting hardware and GPS soft and hardware will set you back about £450 but i did see a newpackage from the same stable that GPS dedicated. I use this system in a truck on a ay to day basis and i swear by it.
              Im not a gynacologist but ill have a look

Comment

For anyone considering a GPS system I would recommend a PDA (pocket PC) based system. You can get portable dedicated systems such as the TomTom GO but you will be stuck with street navigation.

I would assume having a 4x4 you may want to go off-road at some point so by adding topographical software to the PDA such as Anquet or Memory Map you can have Ordnance Survey maps. Ideal for those green laneing expeditions as street routing software is useless off-road.
                Ian

Comment

Originally posted by icsys
                  For anyone considering a GPS system I would recommend a PDA (pocket PC) based system. You can get portable dedicated systems such as the TomTom GO but you will be stuck with street navigation.

I would assume having a 4x4 you may want to go off-road at some point so by adding topographical software to the PDA such as Anquet or Memory Map you can have Ordnance Survey maps. Ideal for those green laneing expeditions as street routing software is useless off-road.

Correct.
                  PDA based sat nav arrived wednesday last week and I've been playing with it since. Short blast off road near congleton monday read on the display - unrealiable GPS wait till position mapped". Flicked from tom tom nav to GPS screen and it gave the grid ref, speed and direction of travel no prob and showed the tracking sats.
                  Guess I will be dipping into the pocket again soon for topographical software!

Fish
                  If it smells like fish, eat it!

Comment

I am using a laptop, with MS autoroute (for streetnavigation) and Fukawi (OS maps for greenlaning).
                    The UBS GPS receiver I bought on ebay from Hong Kong, about £25, works great!

In the truck I use the main laptop screen, or close the laptop,and a AV connected 7.5' inch monitor mounted on the dash. They have touchscreen ones, but bit expensive for me.

Trying to get the satnav screen in the surf running (is disconnected now, and I am no electrician, might blow up my beloved Surf), satnav has AV input, so only thing to do is to connect laptop with the satnav.

Comment

Originally posted by mikew
                      UK Toyota satnav was CD to start with then changed 2 years ago to DVD. Maybe your local dealer can try taking one out of a stock used vehicle and see if it works, and if so order the lates version (but it wont be cheap!)

Comment

A good site for SATNAV gizmos etc http://www.expansys.com/
                        also try http://www.globalpositioningsystems....product_id=761
                        Last edited by marky; 29 October 2004, 15:50.
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                        (")_(")

Comment

FREE SPEED CAMERA DATABASE DOWNLOAD with this product
                          Taken from advertisers web site

This info is freely available from here

http://www.pocketgps.co.uk/uksafetycameras.php

And the Checkpoint programm needed to run it properly is freely available from here

http://poiplace.oabsoftware.nl/index...Iregister3.php

Both work great and the POI data base for the Gasto, Spec & Redlight cameras is updated regular.

Might help someone out if they aren't awaire of this software.

Comment

Originally posted by kazam401
                            Taken from advertisers web site

This info is freely available from here

http://www.pocketgps.co.uk/uksafetycameras.php

And the Checkpoint programm needed to run it properly is freely available from here

http://poiplace.oabsoftware.nl/index...Iregister3.php

Both work great and the POI data base for the Gasto, Spec & Redlight cameras is updated regular.

Might help someone out if they aren't awaire of this software.
                            This is a great site. if anyone has AutoRoute this is great. Lists all the Speed Cameras in the UK and some in Europe all onto your maps on screen. Good Link

Thanks
                            Lewis

[CENTER]1984 Land Rover 110 V8 Lpg
                            2003 Honda Accord Vtec

[url]www.landrover-110.co.uk[/url]

[email]lewis@landrover-110.co.uk[/email] [/CENTER]

Comment

Can't wait

As stated bought the following package below:
                              TomTom Navigator 3 + HP iPAQ 2210 Pocket PC + Arkon Powered GPS PDA mount + 256mb SD Card + extra 512MB SD Card + Free Download of Speed Cameras for just under £449.

I can't remember how exited I have been for a long time around xmas waiting for something so simple to turn up on the doorstep. Hopefully it'll arrive at work tomorrow...please!!!!
                              Gaz

Comment

Working...
                              X