Full Length roof rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full Length roof rack

Hi Guys, Is there such a thing as a full length roof rack for my 1994 Surf ?, or do i just have to make one instead

Have a look at the one on Andy's truck in the surf's for sale section.You never know he may sell his seperate to the truck
    http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=54036
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Sorry guys... can't do it separate... its part of the truck now...

Drilled through the roof, and braced against the internal roof braces...

Custom built from a selection of Eezi-Awn bits and pieces....

Comment

Originally posted by AndyLala View Post
        Sorry guys... can't do it separate... its part of the truck now...

Drilled through the roof, and braced against the internal roof braces...

Custom built from a selection of Eezi-Awn bits and pieces....
        Not to worry, ive been scouting about on tinternet and what i want you cant get
        so iam going to just make it, far easier and i get what i want

Comment

Have a look at the Eezi-Awn tracking and feet... makes a nice mount for whatever you have in mind. Get a few more internal roof braces and braze/weld them in...

Either that or try and find a safety devices internal roll cage, and mount through the roof into that...

Comment

make it...

http://www.elphick-pooley.co.uk/htm/...r.htm#roofrack

http://www.elphick-pooley.co.uk/imag...tpark3_600.jpg
            @africa4x4cafe
            [url]www.africa4x4cafe.com[/url]

Comment

Sold one 2 weeks ago..................not that you wanted to hear that
              If at first you don't succeed.........give up.

Comment

I built mine out of Unistrut and chequerplate.
                To secure the rack at the front I used a pair of Toyota roof bars (much lower profile than the Thule or Halfords ones) and for the back I used two glass lifters!
                THESE to be exact.

As they are the aluminium body version (not the crappy plastic ones) I drilled the handle in two places straight through with 6mm and then opened the the top hole up to 11mm (hollow handle) so that when I wet the roof and 'suctioned' them on as far out as I could (for strength) my bolts could go through vertically without me having to worry about drilling at any specific angles as they maneouvered themselves into place.

I can jump about on it as much as I like and it can carry some serious weight with no flex!

I have now built a surf board mount on it too (with more unistrut and some threaded bar for the pads to go on) which lifts the board high enough to go over all the camping gear and spare wheel too which is awesome for keeping all the important stuff like people and food inside in the dry with enough boot space to be able to easily move things around to find sweets and pasties without going outside into the pouring rain!

I'll try to take some pictures when I can as it's a relatively cheap build and is so easily customisable just by getting a few bracket you can attach pretty much anything too it and the completely deconstruct it an any time with just a spanner should you want to.

Thanks,

Ray.
                I've got a plan and it's as hot as my pants!

Comment

Originally posted by Justbrad View Post
                  Sold one 2 weeks ago..................not that you wanted to hear that
                  He probably doesnt mind to much. It was a year ago

Comment

Oh yeah!!! Lol!! I always forget to look at the date.. Doh!
                    If at first you don't succeed.........give up.

Comment

Originally posted by lord_flashart View Post
                      I built mine out of Unistrut and chequerplate.
                      To secure the rack at the front I used a pair of Toyota roof bars (much lower profile than the Thule or Halfords ones) and for the back I used two glass lifters!
                      THESE to be exact.

As they are the aluminium body version (not the crappy plastic ones) I drilled the handle in two places straight through with 6mm and then opened the the top hole up to 11mm (hollow handle) so that when I wet the roof and 'suctioned' them on as far out as I could (for strength) my bolts could go through vertically without me having to worry about drilling at any specific angles as they maneouvered themselves into place.

I can jump about on it as much as I like and it can carry some serious weight with no flex!

I have now built a surf board mount on it too (with more unistrut and some threaded bar for the pads to go on) which lifts the board high enough to go over all the camping gear and spare wheel too which is awesome for keeping all the important stuff like people and food inside in the dry with enough boot space to be able to easily move things around to find sweets and pasties without going outside into the pouring rain!

I'll try to take some pictures when I can as it's a relatively cheap build and is so easily customisable just by getting a few bracket you can attach pretty much anything too it and the completely deconstruct it an any time with just a spanner should you want to.

Thanks,

Ray.
                      Any chance of Pics ray ? I'm curious .......... the finished article that is !!!!
                      As somebody once said "THIS THREAD IS NO GOOD WITHOUT PICS"

Jess
                      "Cos short cuts can cost more in the long run"
                      Last edited by Diezel Weazel; 1 September 2010, 17:36.
                      Buncefield Burner

Comment

Plus one for pics please Ray. I like the demountable option...
                        "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
                        www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

I'm on it, I'll get the pics sorted ASAP.
                          I've got a plan and it's as hot as my pants!

Comment

Originally posted by lord_flashart View Post
                            I'm on it, I'll get the pics sorted ASAP.
                            Good news, I'm keen to try this out as well...
                            Driving from the UK to SA for Combat Stress.

Comment

Another plus one on the pics - well up for building my own
                              ======
                              Just gotta finish doing the next mod...

Comment

Working...
                              X