Tyre size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyre size

Ok so my tyres are worn out and I'm looking at my replacement options. I would like to go for a bigger size. I'm currently running 31/10.5/15 on the orriginal rims. I also have the car lifted 2". I'm thinking of either going for 32" or 33". Obviously the advantage is more clearance for off road, but what I'm wondering what are the negative effects. For example how much is the fuel economy and on road handling effected by increasing tyres size. Also what's the widest tyre I can squeeze onto the stock rims. Thanks for advice.

Stock rims are 7J I think, so a 10.5 is maximum really. A 2" lift wont give you enough clearance for 33s, though 32 will just about fit.
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

what size?

Would 32's fit under ok for offroading without any rubbing? I too have a 2" suspension lift and am running 265/75/15 colways which have done well. I'm now looking to get some muds as I am doing a lot more offroading now. Getting stuck repeatedly a few weeks ago on a trial has embarressed me into buying muds as the last were Colway AT's (although are just barely legal and were more like road tyres with the lack of tread).
      I'm used to the 265/75/15 measuring method but don't know how this converts in the other method. I have stock wheel rims which I gather put to a 10.5 clearance but I just don't know what I need to look at for inch wise.
      I use it daily on road too but I love playing in the mud - which there is plenty of over here at the moment. I aim to get some road tyres before the end of the year too but need a good MT which won't wear too quickly on the road. I've heard the best to go for is BFG?
      Anyone help?
      Blue 2nd gen all the way!
      Member of the 115,000k club

Comment

a 265/75/15 is a very unusual size.

Not many do that size anymore.

If you get a 32x11.50 then you might find you have slight rubbing with articulation. They are just as expensive as a 33x12.50r15 so i'd say Best bet is work out if you want to go for a 33x12.50 an if you do complete the lift. be it either body or suspension lift to suit.

the mpg doesnt take a massive knock, it drops sure but its not unbearable. Road handling is on my own truck at least, better then stock.

its a much stiffer firmer ride an the wider wheel base from the 12.50 aspect of the tyres helps it sit on the road quite nicely.

I'd finish the lift!

Comment

When you say finish the lift how do you mean? Which would be easier? bearing in mind I'm not that mechanically minded. I'll give things a go though. I ended up chickening out of doing the suspension myself before snd got my mechanic to do it.

For 32" 11.50 would I need wheel spacers?

I understood that a two inch lift (suspension) was really the max you could do without having to extend other things? Bit strapped at the mo too.
          Oh yeah and my apologies they are 265/70/15's that I have on at the moment not 265/75/15.

I'm not too concerned about the ride, since I put the 2" lift on with es9000 procomps on it is a much stiffer ride by far than before.

Thanks for helping on this one, really appreciate it. I've only had the surf for just over a year and I'm slowing growing in confidence in doing things myself but I couldn't without the help of everyone on here. Another big round of applause for the forum. My smurf wears her blue star with pride!
          Also quite funny cos the landrover owners over here are all surprised in the capabilities of the Smurf.

Comment

Originally posted by PC-Surf View Post
            When you say finish the lift how do you mean? Which would be easier? bearing in mind I'm not that mechanically minded. I'll give things a go though. I ended up chickening out of doing the suspension myself before snd got my mechanic to do it.

For 32" 11.50 would I need wheel spacers?

I understood that a two inch lift (suspension) was really the max you could do without having to extend other things? Bit strapped at the mo too.
            Oh yeah and my apologies they are 265/70/15's that I have on at the moment not 265/75/15.

I'm not too concerned about the ride, since I put the 2" lift on with es9000 procomps on it is a much stiffer ride by far than before.

Thanks for helping on this one, really appreciate it. I've only had the surf for just over a year and I'm slowing growing in confidence in doing things myself but I couldn't without the help of everyone on here. Another big round of applause for the forum. My smurf wears her blue star with pride!
            Also quite funny cos the landrover owners over here are all surprised in the capabilities of the Smurf.
            By finishing the lift i mean add a 2" body lift to the truck. Surfenstein does them from £65+VAT+Del.

If you have a body and a suspension lift you can fit 33x12.50 tyres on the truck an its probably the best set up for these trucks.

plus it looks really cool!

Wheel spacers will only ever make things worse on a Surf.

They push the wheel further out giving a much larger 'arch' if you will that the wheel needs to get from lock-lock. The only time you would need a set is if the wheels had a positive offset an caused the tyre to rub on the upper wishbone. That shouldnt be the case at all. So you can save yourself the £120+ or whatever they cost nowadays!

Comment

Cheers thanks for that you're a star.
              I'm looking accross the forum now but how easy is it to install the body lift myself?

Comment

Cheers thanks for that you're a star.
                I'm looking accross the forum now but how easy is it to install the body lift myself?
                Its not that hard. Some basic tools an trolly jack with some wood are pretty much all thats needed.

your just undoing 10 bolts that hold the body to the chassis.
                Lift one side an place block spacers between the body an chassis, drop the new longer bolt into place, repeat the same side an tighten up.

The Radiator on the 2.4 needs to be lowered on some brackets, Other wise it sits higher then the Rad Cap causing airlocks etc.

Some minor trimming may need to be done around the transfer case shifter an possibly where the steering column passes through the bulkhead into the engine bay.

Theres a few detailed write ups an whilst it seems daunting seperating the body from the chassis its not as bad as it sounds.

For less then £100 you'll end up 2" higher. You can fit some 33x12.50 tyres which would cost the same as a 32x11.50 an i promise you mate!

you'll bl**dy love it!

Comment

Cheers Rod

Cool. Thanks again for your advice. Now looking up the write ups and gonna see about getting this lift. Mine is a 3ltr KZN130 so shouldn't have to muck with the radiators.
                  I'll let you know how it goes!

Comment

Cool. Thanks again for your advice. Now looking up the write ups and gonna see about getting this lift. Mine is a 3ltr KZN130 so shouldn't have to muck with the radiators.
                    I'll let you know how it goes!
                    even better if its a 3.0ltr mate!!! a lot easier.

The rad is a fiddly lil sh!t!

an breeatheeee

Comment

Just been looking at the body lift bit on yota tech does look too bad. BUT I have an automatic, will I need to extend the ger stick in that like with a manual??

Comment

Just been looking at the body lift bit on yota tech does look too bad. BUT I have an automatic, will I need to extend the ger stick in that like with a manual??
                        Not needed on an automatic mate.

You might need to trim a tiny bit around the hi/lo selector but the main gear shift is fine.

Comment

Right gonna give the vatchman a ring at his headquarters when I get paid this week for the 2" body lift kit, just sourcing tyres now. Looks like I'll be going for the Mickey Thompson muds 33". Undecided as yet. as soon as I get her lifted the tyres will be ordered.

Comment

Right gonna give the vatchman a ring at his headquarters when I get paid this week for the 2" body lift kit, just sourcing tyres now. Looks like I'll be going for the Mickey Thompson muds 33". Undecided as yet. as soon as I get her lifted the tyres will be ordered.
                            Ohhh! Micky thompson!!

Comment

Working...
                            X