service intervals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• service intervals

I have just read some of the posts on servicing . Iwas told by a dealer that the service interval for the 1997 3.0 TD SSRX i am thinking of buying is annual with an oil change every 6 months.

I read on here that this is not so - oil changes every 3000 miles with 2 proper services each year. Can someone confirm which it is for the above model.

If it really needs oil changes every 3000 miles ,is it an easy diy job?

I love the vehicle and need a 4x4 to tow a caravan with and can cope with low mpg so I was shocked to see how high service costs can be.

Oil change should be cheap and dead easy. Not sure if it's the same on the 3rd Gen but 2nd Gen has the oil filter on the nearside just under the inlet manifold. You'll probably need a filter wrench to get it loose and there should be a drain hole under it so that any oil that comes out of the filter runs down under the engine to the drain pan you use to catch the sump oil. Sump drain plug should be at the bottom of the sump.

Service kits are easy to obtain from Milners, Roughtrax or your local Toyota dealer. For and oil & filter change your looking at about £25 in parts. If doing the fuel and air filters as well Milners kits are about £15 plus postage although these two can last to the yearly service.

Use good quality diesel grade oil for your oil change. I use either Castrol GTD or GTD Magnatec, although any good quality oil will do as it's not in the engine as long as some so you don't need the really expensive stuff.

The other thing to do is make sure you grease the drive shaft and steering joint nipples regularly, especially if you take it off-road.
    Mike G

Comment

Originally posted by Tallyman
      .... Not sure if it's the same on the 3rd Gen but 2nd Gen has the oil filter on the nearside just under the inlet manifold. You'll probably need a filter wrench to get it loose and there should be a drain hole under it so that any oil that comes out of the filter runs down under the engine to the drain pan you use to catch the sump oil. Sump drain plug should be at the bottom of the sump......
      Yep, 3rd Gen's are the same

....The other thing to do is make sure you grease the drive shaft and steering joint nipples regularly, especially if you take it off-road.
      Before you go insane looking for the grease nipples on the steering, don't. the 3rd Gen uses rack & pinion steering which has no nipples.
      Driveshaft greasing is still the same tho.
      Maurice
      Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Hi Morr,

Don't you have steering swivels on the 3rd Gen then. I was talking about those rather than anything on the steering rack/box. There may not be nipples in them but I'm sure there will be blanking plugs for grease nipples.
        Mike G

Comment

Service intervals

Hi Morr,

Don't you have steering swivels on the 3rd Gen then. I was talking about those rather than anything on the steering rack/box. There may not be nipples in them but I'm sure there will be blanking plugs for grease nipples.
          Thanks for the information.
          Is it correct then that an oil and filter change is needed every 3000 miles.
          What is a proper service imterval on a 3rd gen?

Comment

Yes, officially, oil every 5,000km (~3000 miles), then oil and filter every 10,000km (~6000 miles).

I do the fuel filter every 20,000km and air filter every 30,000km, unless covered in muddy water!

Comment

Working...
            X