Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocker Absorber Needed

Please Help,
    Off side front shock absorber for a toyota surf. It has to be one that is controlled by the hard/soft switch on the dash board.
    Urgently required as mine has a big hole in it, consiquently my surf is off the road.
    My Surf is the 2.4 ssr-x 1993 K reg

Originally posted by allamax
    Please Help,
    Off side front shock absorber for a toyota surf. It has to be one that is controlled by the hard/soft switch on the dash board.
    Urgently required as mine has a big hole in it, consiquently my surf is off the road.
    My Surf is the 2.4 ssr-x 1993 K reg
    Replacing just one damper is generally not advisable, these should always be replaced in pairs, ie front or rear sets complete. Changing just one will leave opposite sides of the vehicle with different damping and therefore handling and braking characteristics.
    Suggest you seek a secondhand pair from the same vehicle, or better again, fit new ones, at least that way you know what you are getting, with used ones it it virtually impossible to perform other than the most basic of tests on them by hand, so until they are fitted you don't even know how good they are.
    Original Toyota ones cost an arm & a leg, but plenty of cheaper options are available, aftermarket ones will not be electrically adjustable, but this is not a problem.
    Most people here seem to have had good luck with the dampers supplied by Explorer ProComp, they're certainly cheap enough.
    Maurice
    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

i think i,m right in saying that the hard/soft switch only affects the rear dampers, but i,m certain some one more knowledgable than me will let you know for sure

ship

Comment

Originally posted by ship
        i think i,m right in saying that the hard/soft switch only affects the rear dampers, but i,m certain some one more knowledgable than me will let you know for sure

ship
        No and yes.

You have mail Allamax....
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thanks for your advice buddy, i am aware of the issue of fitting only one shock, but it is only a temporary measure until i get the money together to get 2 new ones. I've put searches on breakers websites all over the country and nobody has any. Not even Ebay has any. Seems like they're rare items indeed. As for the aftermarket ones, I just like the idea of being able to switch from a soft ride to a hard ride, for now anyway.
          Again thanks for your advice and concern.

Allan

Originally posted by Morr
          Replacing just one damper is generally not advisable, these should always be replaced in pairs, ie front or rear sets complete. Changing just one will leave opposite sides of the vehicle with different damping and therefore handling and braking characteristics.
          Suggest you seek a secondhand pair from the same vehicle, or better again, fit new ones, at least that way you know what you are getting, with used ones it it virtually impossible to perform other than the most basic of tests on them by hand, so until they are fitted you don't even know how good they are.
          Original Toyota ones cost an arm & a leg, but plenty of cheaper options are available, aftermarket ones will not be electrically adjustable, but this is not a problem.
          Most people here seem to have had good luck with the dampers supplied by Explorer ProComp, they're certainly cheap enough.

Comment

we have got a pair in the shed let me know if you still want them.

Comment

Yes

Hi,
              Yeah i'd like to have them, How much would you want for them.

Thanks

Allan

Originally posted by maggs
              we have got a pair in the shed let me know if you still want them.

Comment

[QUOTE=allamax]Hi,
                Yeah i'd like to have them, How much would you want for them.

Thanks
                Last edited by maggs; 15 August 2005, 22:32.

Comment

Working...
                X