Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd Gen Headlight Wiring Loom Upgrades

Gentlefolk,

Is your 2nd Gen Surf suffering with dim headlights... it could just be that the loom is a little tired... to be honest, it probably wasn't upto the job in the first place.

You have tried cleaning your bulbs...
    You have tried cleaning the lenses, inside and out...
    You have tried uprated bulbs...
    You have tried blue/white bulbs...
    You have tried warmer bulbs...

List goes on.

The problem is likley to be that you are suffering from a voltage drop on the OEM wiring loom. You need to add an upgrade harness to get more current to the back of the bulb.

This can cost you anything from £95.00 upwards.
    http://www.piaa.co.uk/lamps/lampshow.asp?ID=relay part number PHS2H

Or I can make them up for you.

Premier Loom, which will allow you to leave the main beam on when you flash or use your full beam, for use with most modest upgraded bulbs. Obviously too much heat in the headlamp will damage the reflector.

£52.45 plus postage, and 10% will go to the upkeep of this website

AndyL

Photo below is of the Mark 1 prototype, more photos to follow shortly.
    Mark 3 is just about to be fitted to Jotto's truck for the Mac4x4 challenge.
    Attached Files

Dont mean to dis you Andy, but it looks like a lot of money for just a few wires. Maybe you can educate me on this.
    Cheers
    Del
    Derek :
    1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
    [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

Comment

Del,

perhaps it is, I am not making a great deal of margin on this, 10% of the sale price is going back to keep the forum going, and a little bit for my time making the kits up (takes about an hour for both sides now that I know what I am doing).

Its also been most of my spare time making the kit work and fit, over the last 6 weeks.

Don't begrudge another member a small cottage industry...

Hey I could cover it in PIAA badges and charge twice again...

AndyL

Comment

The loom pictured is just for one side so in total you have 4 relays, 4 inline fuse holders and fuses,all the connectors plus the wire and the wrapping to keep it all together.I don't think it's an unfair price.
        I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

Actually Jotto, there are six inline fuses (1x30amp and 2 x 15amp each side) and 4 relays (2 each side), and all the associated wire, H4 bulb connectors, crimps...

Its all high current rated stuff, and the fuses will go first. On each loom, 15amps should give you an effective 200w of illumination with both elements going at the same time, at a running 13.45v... more than bright enough for most. Don't forget this is each side.

Its all wrapped up in nice spiral wrap... its something I would have in my truck... if I could buy it somewhere... £95.00 to have PIAA on it and it still won't light both elemets at the same time doesn't cut it for me.

Saves someone the effort of mucking about with it themselves.
          Takes about half an hour to fit, including removing and replacing the overflow and washer bottle.

AndyL
          Last edited by AndyLala; 16 March 2005, 07:50.

Comment

good work...wish I could take u up on it but will be strapped shortly....smaller tent, Car tax, MOT and Insurance due..all in all about £700-800 out of the back pocket
            Gaz

Comment

that was one of my drivers in getting it done. I need to make a bit of extra to catch up paying for last christmas... I shan't be greedy about it, but every little bit helps...

you just say when Gizmo.

andyL

Comment

Andy, i dont begrudge you anything. I was just asking a question and voicing my opinion. Best of luck with your sales
                Derek :
                1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
                [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

Comment

So you want some...?

Major improvement....

From having a vague cut off on the main beam... it is now a crisp line.

I still think I need to re-aim the headlights... but it does in fact illuminate the road in front... didn't before...

Double checked my bulbs... and they are PIAA H208 which according to the website are only.... 60w main and 55w full beam. Although they do 'look' brighter...

H208H4 60/55=135/125W
                  http://www.piaa.co.uk/bulbs/bulbshow.asp?ID=xtwhite

Will be testing with Jotto's uprated bulbs leter on in the week... let you know how that gets on... and you will get some feedback from him...

andyL

Comment

Andy,

Got any more detailed info in fitting so people can see exactly whats involved? Also where do the inline fuses live once it's all installed - are they accessable?

Cheers
                    Simon
                    No longer a Surf owner.

Comment

Absolutely,

You will need to remove the brackets that hold the batteries down.
                      You will need to move the washer fluid bottle out of the way.
                      You will need to remove the rad overflow bottle.
                      You now have access to the rear of the bulbs.

You will need to connect each loom to the battery on each side of the vehicle, +ve and -ve (easiest...) [two looms, two batteries - currently]

Remove the H4 bulb OEM socket from the back of the bulb.
                      Plug in the new H4 Bulb socket.
                      Tap into the OEM loom for the switch feeds. (colour coded)

You will need to replace the rad overflow bottle.
                      You will need to replace the washer fluid bottle out of the way.
                      You will need to replace the brackets that hold the batteries down.

About 20 minutes work, all told.

Main fuses and feed fuses are all located within 12" of the battery, inline in the loom, very accessible provided you have reasonable size hands...

I will do an in depth instruction/fitting sheet with photo's when we put the test loom into Jotto's Surf.

Comment

Any news on these looms ?

Comment

Well I have had the loom fitted for 2 weeks now with no problems, and the lights had quite a lot of use over the mac 4x4 weekend. The lighting seems to be a lot better as I can now see my lights on the road
                          I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

Folks,

some more news. I have had a redesign since Jotto's version so we are up another version number. I have tidied up the relay and fuse mount.

All those who have asked, will get a reply before the end of the week confirming what it is they asked for specifically. Payment and delviery instructions will be included.

I would like to ask though that all who asked just drop me another mail as a reminder... thanks... this blasted computer has been playing about for the last few weeks... why do they always pick the most inconvenient time to do that?

andyL

Comment

Working...
                            X