Bristol Import Centre advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bristol Import Centre advice

Hi...newbie not entirely sure what I'm doing with message boards so I hope I posted this right?

Has anyone bought from Bristol Import Centre and what do they think of them?

Looking to buy a 3.0 Surf from a dealer (bad experiances with private I'm afraid and paranoid about dealers stitching up a girlie). Read all info on site but trying to find a 'reputable' dealer near Bristol. Been to Bristol Import Centre and it seems quite highly priced (and WON'T negotiate!). Also gave me that guff re 2.4's coolant settling on way over so a rad flush is all thats needed to make sure head not cracked....
    Unfortunately don't seem to be able to locate anyone else better near here (could go Wales, Birmingham, Reading if any in stock) so wondered if anyone out there had any comments on this dealer? Or knows of good one within 100 miles that sells pre 1996 models?

Hope I can find my way in to any replies (would insert a smilie but cant even manage that!)

RB

RICA there are a few members in your area that will be able to help you. watch this space
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

if you know what you are looking for or if you know a good
      mechanic there is a direct inport auction site just out side
      Portbury docks.As said you save yourself some hard earned cash
      cheers chris 91 2.4td ssr good old girl!
      GOT NO COWBOYS HERE?

Comment

Thanks...I will await advice eagerly

Dont really feel confident enough to check out a vehicle at auction myself....and heard that all best ones are snapped up by dealers leaving the junk for us mere mortals?

I'm just a big fraidy cat....

Comment

bristol import centre

rica

this maybe too late but i have just bought from these guys - i shared your worries about dealers/private. they were ok and true to their word with me.

the thing that swung it for me was seeing clarkson chuck one off a block of flats! they seem to be built to last these toyotas.

colin at b.i.c. is the guy i dealt with, they even offered a loaner when mine was delayed a few days. at the end of the day you get a warranty mot and they taxed mine, cant really ask for more than that, and so far so good - touch wood.

cheers
          NO MORE TRUCK

Comment

BIC - Experience so far

I have also bought from Bristol Import Centre, and dealt with Colin. The whole experience was painless.

Didn't have much luck negotiating the price down... managed about £500 off the 9.5k price tag, taking into account the 6 months tax and immobiliser. Also got a 3 month warranty - though it had the typical £500 per claim limit. Others were available at a price, of course. It was quite low mileage.

They also state they are BIMTA approved, and say all the cars are checked. See here: http://www.bimta.org/SearchResultsDe...ankdetails=108

They have lot's of different trucks, and plenty of 2nd/3rd gen Surfs. The exteriors all seem in great condition. Some interiors slightly tatty, but a good clean would probably sort them out. (They also have Mazda Bongo's. Quite mad things!)

It wasn't until I got it home I realised my toolkit was incomplete. They promised to send the pieces to me - I'll let you know if they turn up!

They seem very knowledgeable, compared to some other garages I visited whilst looking. They buy cars direct from Japan and send someone over every few months. One thing, which I had not heard of, was the vehicles are graded. Apparently, there is a grading system used in the Japanese auctions. Grade 6 is like new with very low mileage. Grade 1 is very tatty. If it's ungraded, you should steer well clear. My Surf is grade 4, so I'm told.

So one question to ask other garages may be 'Is the Surf graded?' If they have no idea what you are talking about, then perhaps you should look elsewhere? I'm no mechanic... and I tend to fall for flannel! But it seemed to all make sense!?

Cheers, and good luck - Jimbob

Comment

Ref: Auction Grading

Originally posted by jimbob_steele
              .... One thing, which I had not heard of, was the vehicles are graded. Apparently, there is a grading system used in the Japanese auctions. Grade 6 is like new with very low mileage. Grade 1 is very tatty. If it's ungraded, you should steer well clear. My Surf is grade 4, so I'm told.

So one question to ask other garages may be 'Is the Surf graded?' If they have no idea what you are talking about, then perhaps you should look elsewhere? I'm no mechanic... and I tend to fall for flannel! But it seemed to all make sense!?

Cheers, and good luck - Jimbob
              REF: AUCTION GRADING

If you are thinking of buying from a dealer, who has imported the vehicles himself, he should have a copy of the Auction Inspection Sheet - which you should ask to see.

The dealer would certainly have has access to a copy of this before buying the car and would probably have the original. I imported mine myself and found the original sheet in the glove box - presumably put there by the auction staff.

This sheet is completed by Auction House staff in Japan and gives you the condition of the vehicle as it entered the auction. It states the grade of both the exterior and interior it also shows a plan view of the vehicle with any scratches, dents or other imperfections indicated. It also has the Chassis No and Mileage (kms) on it. See an example here.

From what I have read and from my personal experience, the cars are generally in a better condition than you might be expecting from looking at the sheet... if the sheet shows a small scratch (A1) - you will probably have a job to find it!
              Never argue with an idiot... they drag you down to their level - then beat you with experience!!

Comment

Brownstone

Rica,
                You've probably got your Surf sorted by now, but if you haven't check out BROWNSTONES at Bitton. They were very flexible and honest. Affraid I haven't got their number at the moment but they do have a good web-site to browse.
                Other good contacts @ Bristol are Barry at ROUGHTRAX Keynsham (topman) and Terry at BRISLINGTON MOTOR COMPANY, good service and very resonable timing belt job.
                Hope this helps,
                Ian
                [size=4][color=lime]WORK TO DRIVE[/color][/size]

[size=4][color=lime]DRIVE TO WORK[/color][/size]

Comment

Bristol Import Centre

Hi ..
                  I "vetted" 13 dealers before I bought my 2nd gen.SSRX 3ltr from the above.I am,10 months on 90 percent happy with them from all aspects.I dealt with John Leighton who is no longer there but .. the truck is in superb condition,and the mileage was genuine.The price I paid £7500 I was - and am happy with.I dont think I would get them to do all the various ancillary work again though,rather I would take it to a Toyota dealer to give it the once over.- Better peace of mind - still - I,ve had no probs with them.

regards
                  Surfin
                  enjoy - it,s later than you think !

Comment

Hi
                    Interested to see the dealer I bought my surf from (Oct 2004) being discussed. Dealt with Colin who tried his best but wasn't always on the ball with everything!

Able to bargain with him with a bit of pushing and he was also happy to have any work done that I felt was needed prior to purchasing it, however, the garages he used didn't appear to be too honest. Instead of replacing a split gator they just cleaned it, the wheels were no way near balanced plus other bits.........but, when we pointed this out to Colin it was rectified, shame that Colin didn't check the work properly himself though.

Unfortunately this all happed in dribs and drabs and resulted in weekly trips across the bridge from Wales to Bristol for about a month! Colin did however loan a vehicle while mine was 'delayed'. (Fuel and bridge tolls began to mount up though!)

Overall it was a bit of a frustrating experience and I nearly gave up on getting my surf at all, but it was worth the wait in the end ( and better than the Nissan Mistral I had on loan!)

Oh yeah, and then someone 'lost' the V5 for about a month before I got it!

Comment

Working...
                    X