Browns garage, Haywards Heath, west sussex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Browns garage, Haywards Heath, west sussex

Asked on the forum for a recommended garage in sussex area for my 2.4td auto surf and was pointed to the above named garage, I know several people from here take their 3L surfs there without issue and perhaps they are familiar with those, they are however in my opinion not familiar, or even clued up about the 2.4L variety.
    Haven't had the surf more than a couple of months (I'm fairly new on this forum, met a few of you etc.) and as the 100,000km cambelt change was due soon I thought I'd get a major service on the surf plus a few other bits n bobs done, the p.a.s. belt was slipping slightly too, those of you who I joined on the isle of wight trip can testify to that, so it was a major service to include the following :-
    change all fluids (incl. transmission, engine, coolant & axle oils),
    change all belts incl. cambelt,
    change all filters,
    change glow plugs &
    grease all nipples.
    The surf started first time every time before it went to the garage, £800 later when it was returned it was a different story..... it was a pig to start, ran seriously lumpy for the first few minutes and was blowing more smoke than before. This was not a good sign....
    They had told me on the phone that there was no power to the glow plugs before I collected it (bear in mind that it started fine before it went to the garage) and I took that at face value as it was always a bit sluggish when pulling away after it had just been started, which is why i'd asked for the glow plugs to be changed, anyway after some searching on the forum and looking under the bonnet they had indeed assembled the isolator washers incorrectly on the glow plug supply, not exactly what i'd expect after an £800 bill. I reassembled the washers in the correct sequence but couldn't test now as they'd blown the 80A fuse by grounding the glow plug supply.
    Phoned them the following day to complain and the mechanic firstly denied removing the glow plug bar - after I pointed out he'd changed the glow plugs and therefore must have removed the bar he then protested that he'd reassembled the washers as they'd come off - again I pointed out that the car started fine before they worked on it and now was next to impossible to start so I didn't believe that.
    Eventually they offered to collect the car to sort the fuse etc. and I told them that they had better make sure that if they'd caused any further problems by shorting the glow plugs they had to fix it.
    They rang to tell me this evening that the car is being returned tomorrow and that they had fixed an "earth return fault????" on the glow plug relay and that had always been there and would have meant i'd never had any power to my glows, strange I pointed out once more how it had always started before they had it..........
    I'm now awaiting my surfs return, hopefully fixed and working this time, I will of course update this post then, in the meantime I certainly would not recommend Browns garage for any work to a 2.4td auto surf, the manager even had the cheek to ask me why i'd wanted the glow plugs changed in the first place???? Has he never heard the customer is always right and they have a choice in where they purchase goods and services??? End of the day I did them the favour by giving them my business, they then returned the favour by charging me £800 for breaking my surf, go figure.
    Last edited by L3Mm1n6; 6 June 2007, 22:40.
    Dyslexics of the world, UNTIE!!!!

O.K. So, after being collected on a low loader yesterday by the garage to rectify their mistake, they did agree on the phone to deliver it back same day, not surprisingly they phoned at the end of the day to say it wouldn't come back until today.
    Another heated conversation and threats of charging them for a days car hire if it wasn't back by 9:00am and it arrived this morning on said low loader at 8:30am, no apology in fact no conversation at all, was just handed the keys and off they went.
    The glow plugs are now working however which is evidenced by the fact that it now starts again, there was on the other hand no evidence, that I could see, that anything other than replacing the fuse had been done to remedy the alleged relay earth return fault.
    All in all, not a positve garage experience.

Comment

Although I haven't commented until now I am aware of the problems Doug has experienced.

I had suggested Brown's to Doug and had nominated them to appear on Roughtrax's list of good garages.

I now feel awful in light of Doug's experiences and can only apologise for recommending them, whenenver they have worked on Hippo I have had no problems - I have contacted Barry to withdraw Brown's from his list.

Once again Doug sorry for what has occured, and I hope the truck is ok now.

Trev
      Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Trev, no apology is neccessary and yes the surf seems fine now, I know you recommended them in good faith and I hold no-one but the garage liable.
        All I can say is that if they weren't confident or competent to work on it, the latter of those seems the more likely in my experience, then I wish they had just said that in the first place.

Comment

far too many mechanics do that, they think that that every customer is a numpty who dosn't know one end of a car from the other.

however to claim they haven't removed the bus bar to replace the glowplugs is plain diabolical. they guy must of been a qwik-fit-fitter before!!
          Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

OK people, another update, it now seems that after doing all the work the radiator is now leaking from the bottom pipe. The mechanic must have rolled in drunk the morning he worked on my surf.
            I noticed this might be an issue about a week after they finally sorted the glow plugs when I replaced my front bumper as the front lower crossmember was wet on the passenger side, before it went in it had lost no water - I know because I checked the level on several occasions.
            So when I went and checked it yesterday, low and behold the expansion tank was bone dry and on removing the cap on the thermostat housing it took about 1.5 litres to top it up.
            They would surely have had to remove the rad to get at all the belts to change them and I had asked them to drain and refill the coolant anyway (it was written on the list I gave the missus to give to them when she took it in) so clearly yet again they haven't checked another part of the work they carried out.
            What a complete shower they are and of course when I phone them tomorrow I know they're gonna deny having ever touched it, obviously the cam belt fairy came in overnight and changed the belt without removing the radiator.
            ( Browns garage mechanic ---> <--- Me)

Comment

hows yr surf goin now?<<<<<from the breakdown truck that dropped yr other poorly car home?lol

Comment

Originally posted by L3Mm1n6
                What a complete shower they are and of course when I phone them tomorrow I know they're gonna deny having ever touched it, obviously the cam belt fairy came in overnight and changed the belt without removing the radiator.
                ( Browns garage mechanic ---> <--- Me)
                While not sticking up for them, shoddy work is shoddy work, but you don't have to remove the rad to do the belts, but I do drain the coolant as the pipes across the cam cover need to be moved and the top rad hose is better off out the way.

Just a heads up so you don't give them a chance to say you don't what you're talking about.
                4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by breakdowntruck2
                  hows yr surf goin now?<<<<<from the breakdown truck that dropped yr other poorly car home?lol

Tut Tut!!

Comment

not stiring lol,i picked up their sons car!lol

Comment

I have had my 2.4 Surf for nearly 2 years, love it to bits even though the head cracked and died on me (as i was expecting) getting to know mine pretty well..... Anyways i am the M D of Owen Garages Ltd in Haywards Heath i like surfs. My garage is where Browns Garage used to be 2 or so years ago. Quite happy to work on them if asked.

Comment

I drive past every Saturday, I've got the noisy green surf
                        Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Working...
                        X