Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toyota Star City Birmingham

Hi

I took my baby in yesterday at 9:00am to have a new timing belt fitted. I was told it would take a couple of hours.
    Called back at 12:00, was told to call back at 3:30 as it wasn't ready yet.
    Called back at 3:30 and was told to come and collect it at 17:00.
    Went to collect it at 17:00 and was told to come back tomorrow as the mechanic did not realise that it was so complicated to get everything off to get to the timing belt, and vice versa to get it put back together after replacing the belt. The rep told me that this was because it was an import. I booked the car in about 4 weeks ago and they knew it was an import as they had to order the belt in. When I was shown the job sheet when I bought the car in, it had IMPORT in capital letters across it. Phoned today at 11:20 and told that I will be called when it is completed. I'm not going to hold my breath waiting.
    [font=Comic Sans MS][i][size=+3][color=red][b]Paul[/b][/color][/size][/i][/font]

[b][size=+2]1992 2.4TD SSR-X AUTO[/b][/size]

Originally posted by The Griff
    Hi

I took my baby in yesterday at 9:00am to have a new timing belt fitted. I was told it would take a couple of hours.
    Went to collect it at 17:00 and was told to come back tomorrow as the mechanic did not realise that it was so complicated to get everything off to get to the timing belt, and vice versa to get it put back together after replacing the belt. The rep told me that this was because it was an import. I booked the car in about 4 weeks ago and they knew it was an import as they had to order the belt in. When I was shown the job sheet when I bought the car in, it had IMPORT in capital letters across it. Phoned today at 11:20 and told that I will be called when it is completed. I'm not going to hold my breath waiting.
    hope they quoted you a price before hand!
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Hi

That stinks, just hope they are not goig to bill you on a hourly rate

Conker
      [center] [/center]

Comment

All is well!
        Got it back today aout 13:30. Timing belt done, running well. Only paid original quote. (£180) They also changed the water and anti-freeze and replaced a water pipe for free. Manager could'nt be more apologetic. I think I had a decent outcome?
        [font=Comic Sans MS][i][size=+3][color=red][b]Paul[/b][/color][/size][/i][/font]

[b][size=+2]1992 2.4TD SSR-X AUTO[/b][/size]

Comment

All is well!
          Got it back today aout 13:30. Timing belt done, running well. Only paid original quote. (£180) They also changed the water and anti-freeze and replaced a water pipe for free. Manager could'nt be more apologetic. I think I had a decent outcome?
          Well as far as I can see that is a good result.
          A genuine appology goes a long way.
          Sounds as if you have found a good dealer there.

Conker
          [center] [/center]

Comment

All is well!
            i think the mechanic got it round his neck and you've paid the price, £180 for a timing belt is dear
            [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
            [size=5][/size]
            [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

Originally posted by gemini
              i think the mechanic got it round his neck and you've paid the price, £180 for a timing belt is dear
              I would not say it is that dear for a main dealer.
              I would expect labour to be around £40 to £50 a hour .
              A genuine cam belt is prob in the region of £30
              4 ltr of antifreeze prob £15 plus.

I do admit that a good back street garage would have prob been cheaper.

It would also be interesting to see the quote given for the next guy who goes in there and asks for a cam belt change.
              I bet it won`t be £180 again.
              [center] [/center]

Comment

Originally posted by Conker
                I would not say it is that dear for a main dealer.
                I would expect labour to be around £40 to £50 a hour .
                A genuine cam belt is prob in the region of £30
                4 ltr of antifreeze prob £15 plus.

I do admit that a good back street garage would have prob been cheaper.

It would also be interesting to see the quote given for the next guy who goes in there and asks for a cam belt change.
                I bet it won`t be £180 again.
                sounds to me like that mechanic should be in a back street garage, a day and a half to change a cambelt, koi had his head fitted and was halfway round devils pit in that time, just shows when you say "import" they use it as an excuse to make out the job is twice as difficult and overcharge
                [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
                [size=5][/size]
                [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

In the sticks

Last year I bust the head on my surf , bought a second hand jobby and had a local garage fit it. They also did the timing belt too. Total cost £200. So I think you were done!

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB
                    Last year I bust the head on my surf , bought a second hand jobby and had a local garage fit it. They also did the timing belt too. Total cost £200. So I think you were done!
                    I don't actually think that it is that dear for a 2.4 timing belt. I've done 3 now, takes about 2 hours if everything comes apart easy. So with a genuine belt, 2 hours labour, antifreeze and labour at £45 per hour you aren't far shy of 3 hours. So the guy took a bit longer than I would, but then it was his first probably.

When I first got mine I couldn't be bothered to change the belt so I paid someone to do it. Cost me £100 including new antifreeze and an oil and filter change. I supplied the belt. That was from a backstreet garage who does all the Surfs for the guy I bought it off so he knows what he is doing on them. I didn't think that about £80 labour was bad - and he doesn't have any big overheads.

Don't think that The Griff got too badly stitched at all.

Now a 3.0 - £180 would be about £100 too much cos it is really easy.

Cheers

Comment

Toyota Hiace is supposed to be same arrangement so they should be used to it.
                      PS the Hiace engine wont do as a replacement for the surf something to do with crankcase sensor thing. But is physically the same engine.
                      STEVO will tell you more on this
                      Last edited by marky; 4 March 2004, 19:00.
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                      (")_(")

Comment

Working...
                      X