Southerncounties4x4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Southerncounties4x4

Hello everybody, been lurking for a good long time now, reading about the pros and cons of getting into owning a Surf........Mostly pro's . Anyway to the crux of it, has anybody got experiance of Southerncounties4x4, located just east of Dartford, Kent.

Any info is greatly appreciated

Thanks

Doyle

Originally posted by Doyle
    Hello everybody, been lurking for a good long time now, reading about the pros and cons of getting into owning a Surf........Mostly pro's . Anyway to the crux of it, has anybody got experiance of Southerncounties4x4, located just east of Dartford, Kent.

Any info is greatly appreciated

Thanks

Doyle
    I very nearly bought a red one off them three weeks ago. I only didn't because I happened across one I liked better with the same warranty. They were prepared to negotiate on price, offered a three month warranty as standard (with the option to add another 12 months for a paltry £140!!) and offered to run me up to Bluewater with the wife and kids whenever I wanted it serviced (which they would do at cost!). Best dealer I came across by far, and I looked at ten surfs before i bought. I only just missed out on buying the blue one thay had that until recently was owned by Brian May!! It was high mileage and smelled of roadies however!!

Comment

Contaminated, thankyou. Any others?, going to try to pop in there in the next couple days.

Doyle

Comment

Contaminated, thankyou. Any others?, going to try to pop in there in the next couple days.

Doyle
        ur welcome. let us know how u get on

Comment

Originally posted by contaminated
          ur welcome. let us know how u get on
          Just got back, bit disapointed really. Not with the dealer but becuase they had none in stock. They may be getting a 3.0l in next week apparently.

Doyle

Comment

dont mean to put you off cos of my bad experience but. . .

i bought mine form southern counties and got a 12 month warrenty with it.
            I was told before i bought it that it had already had then head done and was in good condition, they were very helpful and genuine sounding people.

then the day after i picked it up the alternator failed, just bad luck i suppose so i rang them up and being based about 200miles away form them at the time i wanted a replacement posted out so i could have a local garage fit it and retur the faulty one, would they do this! no! took a lot of calls and getting grumpy before they finally agreed, then it took them almost a week to sort it.
            not impressed!

after 3 months the head went. Not impressed again! just bad luck i thought. . .to be fair they were tru tot he warrenty and fixed it free of charge, but it took them 10 weeks to get it back to me, thats way too long!
            And to add insult to injury the night after i gotit back i was drivnig home and the throttle jammed on full, and i took a detour over a roundabout before switching off the ignition to get !!! ot stop. Seems their mechanic had not rplaced the throttle assembly prperly and it ahnd jammed. just bad luck again?

then a few days later it overheated again, they hadnt properly flushed and burped the coolong system so i had an airlock, minor niggle but still a niggle.

then, when i realised i was going to have to get it MOT'd cos they had mot's it about 4 months before selling to me, i found that it had no foglight, or switch or wiring for the switch so it appears they were abit dodgy with the paperwork too. . . god knows what else is in store for my poor surf!

basically to cut a long story short i am completely dissappointed with their behaviour, one or two problems i could have dealt with but all of the above and not even an offer of any form of compensation and the way they didnt even have the decency to get back to me when i called them while it was in the workshop, i always felt as if i was chasing them and putting them out when really they should have bent over backwards to help me!

dont mean to whine, but you did ask . . .

Matt
            Last edited by Amedias; 18 May 2005, 15:06.

Comment

Originally posted by Amedias

I was told before i bought it that it had already had then head done and was in good condition, they were very helpful and genuine sounding people.

then the day after i picked it up the alternator failed, just bad luck i suppose so i rang them up and being based about 20miles away form them at the time i wanted a replacement posted out so i could have a local garage fit it and retur the faulty one, would they do this! no! took a lot of calls and getting grumpy before they finally agreed, then it took them almost a week to sort it.
              not impressed!

after 3 months the head went. Not impressed again! just bad luck i thought. . .to be fair they were tru tot he warrenty and fixed it free of charge, but it took them 10 weeks to get it back to me, thats way too long!
              And to add insult to injury the night after i gotit back i was drivnig home and the throttle jammed on full, and i took a detour over a roundabout before switching off the ignition to get !!! ot stop. Seems their mechanic had not rplaced the throttle assembly prperly and it ahnd jammed. just bad luck again?

then a few days later it overheated again, they hadnt properly flushed and burped the coolong system so i had an airlock, minor niggle but still a niggle.

then, when i realised i was going to have to get it MOT'd cos they had mot's it about 4 months before selling to me, i found that it had no foglight, or switch or wiring for the switch so it appears they were abit dodgy with the paperwork too. . . god knows what else is in store for my poor surf!

basically to cut a long story short i am completely dissappointed with their behaviour, one or two problems i could have dealt with but all of the above and not even an offer of any form of compensation and the way they didnt even have the decency to get back to me when i called them while it was in the workshop, i always felt as if i was chasing them and putting them out when really they should have bent over backwards to help me!

Matt
              Thanks Matt, I've found a couple of more dealers ,not more than a couple of miles away from southern counties, that I like the "feel" of. Going back to them at the end of the week to see what sort of deals could be struck.
              The other dealers are EXCEEDS and Fleet Autos in Northfleet.

Doyle

Comment

I have one in stock in East Grinstead 15 mins off jn 6 of the M25

www.virtuallyinsane.com/surf

private sale

shameless thread hijack
                [color=darkorange]
                [font=Comic Sans MS][size=3]Nick
                1994 3L Turbo. Manual. SSR-X Limited[/size][/font]
                [/color]

Comment

Originally posted by malum
                  I have one in stock in East Grinstead 15 mins off jn 6 of the M25

www.virtuallyinsane.com/surf

private sale

shameless thread hijack
                  Nick, would be interested, but my upper limit is £1000 less than you asking, unless you fancy a '95 peugeot 405glx diesel estate in px, only got 180000miles !!! (reckon its worth 600).

Doyle
                  Last edited by Doyle; 17 May 2005, 18:18.

Comment

Nick, would be interested, but my upper limit is £1000 less than you asking, unless you fancy a '95 peugeot 405glx diesel estate in px, only got 180000miles !!! (reckon its worth 600).

Doyle
                    sold now
                    Last edited by malum; 20 May 2005, 19:08.
                    [color=darkorange]
                    [/color]

Comment

Originally posted by Amedias

then the day after i picked it up the alternator failed, just bad luck i suppose so i rang them up and being based about 20miles away form them at the time i wanted a replacement posted out so i could have a local garage fit it and retur the faulty one, would they do this! no! took a lot of calls and getting grumpy before they finally agreed, then it took them almost a week to sort it.
                      not impressed!

Matt
                      blimey!! perhaps I had a lucky escape. Mind you a dealer is always going to be nicer before you buy.

Comment

sold now
                        DOH!

Doyle

Comment

DOH!

Doyle
                          sorry

It's off to a good home. It's going to be hammered up and down the beach on the southcoast by a coast guard
                          [color=darkorange]
                          [/color]

Comment

sorry

It's off to a good home. It's going to be hammered up and down the beach on the southcoast by a coast guard
                            All not lost, just put a deposit down on another. Identical to yours, but auto. Just has to be MOTED and registered, hopefully ready for next weekend

Doyle

Comment

All not lost, just put a deposit down on another. Identical to yours, but auto. Just has to be MOTED and registered, hopefully ready for next weekend

Doyle
                              Now have the car, Bought from Fleet autos in Northfleet, Kent. http://www.7seaters.co.uk/. You can see pics in here http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/coppermine....php?cat=10094 . The Surf has 87,000kilometers on the speedo, is in great condition ( 1 tiny dent on o/s rear 1/4 and a scuff on the front n/s bumper extension) and the interior is almost like new, unlike some other that I looked at . Dealer was easy to deal with and let me have the car for what I think is a good price. I paid £4620 with 4x new tyres, years mot and 6 month tax. Car has 3 months warranty, hopefully won't be needed!, the Surf drives superbly. Oh yeah, had to wait a few extra days for the car, while the dealer had to get a new rear window motor!.

At the moment, Doyle is a happy man

Doyle
                              Last edited by Doyle; 11 June 2005, 10:35.

Comment

Working...
                              X