Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Overdrive - ECU?

Hi all,

My trusty KZN130 Surf has developed a recent fault. When driving the auto box holds the gears for longer, almost as if the ECT is on, and there is no overdrive gear. From searching the forums here, it appears a common cause for these symptoms is a faulty ECU,
    Does anyone have an ECU they could lend me to test or buy?
    Any help would be much appreciated....

sounds like it. Pull it out and have a look. you can sometimes see the dead caps

Comment

Hi,

I don't remember if the 2nd gen has a diagnostic port in the engine bay, near the power steering bottle?
      If it has, it's worth pulling the OD code. Sometimes those issues are caused by the Autobox solenoids.

Use a paper clip to bridge the Te1 and E1 pins, with engine and ignition off.
      Then go and turn the ignition key on (but not the engine). As you do that, the OD (overdrive) light will start flashing on the dash display. Count the flashes. IE: 4 flashes, then a pause, then 3 flashes. That means code 43.

Then post the code on here. Its worth a try since it's such a quick check.

I had similar symptoms (altho' I lost first gear) and it was one of the solenoids, code 62.

Cheers

Comment

Thanks for the quick advice. the diagnostic port is in the engine bay on the NS inner wing. I tried the bridging as suggested, but when I turn on the ignition, the O/D off and the check engine light just flash constantly. I will try pulling out the ecu next to look for bad caps as also suggested.

Comment

Well I pulled out the ECU and there does not appear to be anything obviously wrong no bulging caps or anything. Hopefully some kind soul will lend me one to test.....
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Stelar; 5 March 2016, 19:45.

Comment

I have had no joy so far in sourcing a replacement. Does anyone know if the ECU can be repaired easily, for example, replacing all or some of the capacitors?

Comment

Hi, in the UK google the ECU doctor.

You post them your ECU and they repair it, bench test it and post it back. Good reviews all round.

Over here we get a TV repair guy to replace the faulty caps.

Cheers
              Last edited by tashtego; 21 March 2016, 18:39.

Comment

have you tried driving with the OD off then turning it on as you drive? If it is working you will see the revs drop as it shifts gear.

Have you checked and maybe changed the tranny fluid?
                SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking more of just replacing the caps myself

Comment

Hi Charvell, I have tried turning the OD on and off with the button, and it makes no difference, it never gets to top gear. Tranny fluid is good (about a year old)

Comment

Originally posted by Stelar View Post
                      Hi Charvell, I have tried turning the OD on and off with the button, and it makes no difference, it never gets to top gear. Tranny fluid is good (about a year old)
                      Is the level good, checked with the engine running and running through each gear and back to park? What color is the fluid?
                      SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

The tranny fluid is ok, it's red and the level is good.
                        I am going to replace all the caps in the ECU as soon as I get time, I will post some pics and the results, probably in a couple of weeks

Comment

I don't know about the gen 2 but the gen 3 overdrive does not come in unless you are doing 70 mph or more.
                          When the No 2 solenoid failed in my soarer gearbox it meant that the box lowest gear for starting off was second gear consequently the take off was sluggish compared with normal, a new solenoid cost me £220.00 from Toyota.

Comment

Originally posted by soramad View Post
                            I don't know about the gen 2 but the gen 3 overdrive does not come in unless you are doing 70 mph or more.
                            When the No 2 solenoid failed in my soarer gearbox it meant that the box lowest gear for starting off was second gear consequently the take off was sluggish compared with normal, a new solenoid cost me £220.00 from Toyota.
                            Not my 3rd gen. I have overdrive at 50 and maybe even less. Did you mean 70Kph rather than Mph.
                            Сви можемо

Comment

Originally posted by soramad View Post
                              The overdrive light comes on even when stationary. The gearing then changes, regardless of speed. At least that's what happened with all the autos I have owned.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                              X