yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KZN130 , problems after new radiator fitted.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KZN130 , problems after new radiator fitted.

My radiator had to be replaced due to rusting and pinholes.
    Prior to the replacement I had had no overheating problems, etc.
    The new radiator was fitted yesterday at a garage and it took ages for them to clear what seemed to be frothy air bubbles, they ran the motor for about an hour before it cleared.
    They said it could be the cylinder head gasket going/gone, but as I had not had any overheating problems that would be surprising.

This morning I checked the radiator level and it was OK, so no leaks.
    Drove about 8 miles and noticed white smoke/steam coming out the exhaust.
    I stopped and with the engine running it turned a bit bluer.
    The water temp was on N .
    Accelerating and stopping produced large clouds of bluer smoke and as I limped back to the garage, I felt the power seem to be fading.

The garage are going to take a look and let me know the damage.

Having read some of the head gasket threads on here, some seem to have had similar problems to me and it wasn't the head gasket.

Any comments would be appreciated.

I would mention the Surf is '93 with 200k miles and most of the important bits (incl the old radiator) are still original.
    My perpetual dilemna is , do I spend money, or look for something else.

Wishful thinking It's just a Head Gasket, but it sounds doubtful ...
    I've not had the the unfortunate Head Gasket problem me self, but for me I'd fix the Truck n it will be a good en for another 5+ Years or more ....
    Fingers crossed n Good Luck

14+ Years of Surfs .... n Faultless to a "T" is my Yota !! So I got another ....
    Buncefield Burner

Comment

At least if you fix it, you will know how good the engine is and that it will last for a good few years to come, as said above.

Buy someone else's and you could just be getting into the same issue again.

Comment

I have decided to fix it, rather than risk buying a cheap bag of nails.

The problem is that 3 garages won't touch it and one that was preparing a quote has come back and said that they don't have the compatible timing belt tool for the Surf, so can't quote.

I have a friend that only fits cambelts and he is saying thats crap, he is trying to get me a quote elsewhere.
        He also mentioned that I should consider just fitting a new cylinder head, in case mine is cracked.

Is the KZN130 prone to cracked cylinder heads ?

I also keep wondering if it is the cylinder head gasket.
        Everyone seems to be surprised that my motor has no history of overheating, rad needing topping up, burning oil, etc.

Any ideas what else it could be ?

I think this is getting more expensive by the hour.

Comment

Total crap on the timing belt tool, there isn't one, all they need to do is correctly line up the timing marks on everything.

I'd be prepared for the cylinder head as there do seem to be a few 3 ltrs having thus issue and it is more likely than the gasket.

Comment

They are tools.The timing belt on the 1KZ-TE has it's own inbuilt tool. It's called the Hydraulic Tensioner.

Nev.

Comment

Originally posted by Cranfield View Post
              I have decided to fix it, rather than risk buying a cheap bag of nails.

The problem is that 3 garages won't touch it and one that was preparing a quote has come back and said that they don't have the compatible timing belt tool for the Surf, so can't quote.

I have a friend that only fits cambelts and he is saying thats crap, he is trying to get me a quote elsewhere.
              He also mentioned that I should consider just fitting a new cylinder head, in case mine is cracked.

Is the KZN130 prone to cracked cylinder heads ?

I also keep wondering if it is the cylinder head gasket.
              Everyone seems to be surprised that my motor has no history of overheating, rad needing topping up, burning oil, etc.

Any ideas what else it could be ?

I think this is getting more expensive by the hour.
              Doesn't have to be expensive just done right first time !!
              A very wise move from 3 garages not getting their hands on ya Pride n Joy (They obviously don't know Surf's) or had problems with em in the past ...
              Ya Cambelt friends advise may of been a wake up call as to how some garages operate for profit !! (Some harrowing stories have been posted on here over the years)
              Sounds like ya need the help of Tony N's advice/knowledge or other Surf Guru's we have on here or someone who's done theirs in your area... if ya feel confidant to try n do it ya self, If only I was 20 years younger/fitter ....
              Good Luck

14+ Years of Surfs .... n Faultless to a "T" is my Yota !! So I got another ....
              Buncefield Burner

Comment

Just an update on this issue, for the benefit of anyone else that has/or may have this problem.
                I received this email from the diesel fitter who is doing the job (my cambelt friend);

" made a start on it this afternoon and I will be going in again tomorrow to lift the head off.

On removing the radiator, I found the cooling system to be very badly contaminated with engine oil. This is going to take some time to clean out and you may have to have it flushed two or three times before it becomes acceptably clean, and even then expect to have small amounts of oil in the system.

The inlet side of the engine is full of black carbon jelly, I will send you some mobile pictures tomorrow, and I will need to soak the inlet manifold for at least 24 hours in solvent to clean it.

Most of the vacuum pipes are rock hard and will probably split soon, I will replace them as I refit the head and all jubilee clips etc. It’s mainly preventative maintenance and whilst you wouldn’t know any difference, it will pay off in the long term. "

This seems to be long term damage, but as I have posted earlier, my vehicle had no adverse symptoms and was running normally until the radiator pin pricks appeared.

Comment

The last and final report:

"Here’s todays progress report. I got the head off eventually, the bloody thing fought all the way, and it has a huge crack over number three cylinder. So the new head will be fitted.

I removed the injectors and glow plugs and noticed that the glow plugs have very badly burnt tips. These could easily break off and find their way into the combustion chamber so I suggest we replace them"

Well, at least I now have confirmation of what the problem was, hopefully the money I am spending will give me a few years more life out of the old girl.

Comment

Buy a amc head and itll out last the rest of the vehichle

Comment

Working...
                    X