atf fluid & change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• atf fluid & change

hi folks, iam thinking of changing the gearbox fluid in my 95 3.0 second gen surf as i have never done this before i was wondering if any 1 could tell me the best way of changing the whole lot and what fliud to use & anything else i might needto buy thanks

regards paul

afaik, you don't need to change it if it still a nice red colour, if it is brown, then it needs changing. As to how to do it properly, I have no idea. Have you tried the search function?
    "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
    www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

thanks mate i will give it a go just now

Comment

To change it completely, pull the driver's side ATF hose off the radiator and let it dangle into an empty bucket.
        Then pull the passenger side ATF hose off the radiator and dangle it into another bucket thats full of new transmission fluid.

Start engine and let idle. The old fluid will flow into the empty bucket, and the new fluid will be sucked out of the other bucket into the transmission.

Keep an eye on the fluid thats coming out, when it comes out the colour of the new fluid going in, switch off engine and reconnect hoses.

Make sure the end of the hose in the bucket with the new fluid is always submerged.

Once you've reconnected the ATF hoses, start engine again and check fluid level on dipstick.

Comment

thanks bushwacker any idea what fluid to use & were to get it

Comment

Any motor spares place will have it even Halfords.

Make sure it says Dexron 3 or DEX III on the container.

You'll need approx 6.5 litres for a complete ATF flush/replacement.

You can use the same fluid for the power steering too.

Comment

yeah i c that roughtrax has got it but says atf & power steering so will do mate

Comment

guess same principle applies 2.4 auto box.

never heard of changing fluid by this method.

obviously renews oil in torque convertor as your flushing through whole system.

better than just draining from sump plug.

thanks Bushwacker

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                  To change it completely, pull the driver's side ATF hose off the radiator and let it dangle into an empty bucket.
                  Then pull the passenger side ATF hose off the radiator and dangle it into another bucket thats full of new transmission fluid.

Start engine and let idle. The old fluid will flow into the empty bucket, and the new fluid will be sucked out of the other bucket into the transmission.

Keep an eye on the fluid thats coming out, when it comes out the colour of the new fluid going in, switch off engine and reconnect hoses.

Make sure the end of the hose in the bucket with the new fluid is always submerged.

Once you've reconnected the ATF hoses, start engine again and check fluid level on dipstick.
                  A big thanks from me as well !

Comment

Aye cheers, good idea will be doing it before moving in March.
                    The sh$t gets deeper ...but still swimming

Comment

Working...
                    X