EBC Greenstuff pads recommended.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EBC Greenstuff pads recommended.

I had the Greenstuff pads fitted to the surf recently. I originally bought them to help prevent my rims from being coated in black brake dust.

I have noticed instantly more bite and on the long drive home yesterday there were a few places where I noticed the improvement from them. The first was coming down a long steep hill which was a 30mph limit. I was able to use the brakes without any difference in feel from the beginning to the end. Whereas before I would have began to feel them fading off. Also, later on the M25 they showed their worth when used heavily.

I don't really know why but the roughtrax pads I bought previously used to give me vibration after a long period of driving. They were pretty poor when in situations as per above, too. I did originally change the rotors for another set of roughtrax discs but the vibration remained, but only after a long drive. I've also new callipers fitted.

AND there is hardly any dust on the wheels. Actually there is more dust from the gravel road we drove down at the camp site than anything else.

Time will tell on the condition of the rotors after so many months of using the Greestuff pads but currently I feel they are well worth the extra £10 or £15 they cost compared to the roughtrax OEM pads.
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Now he tells us after I've just bought the OEM ones from Roughtrax

Brummie
    I've taken a vow of poverty To anoy me send money

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy View Post
      I had the Greenstuff pads fitted to the surf recently.
      Linky?
      "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
      www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Winky.

Comment

I would be using RedStuff over GreenStuff. Just my personal preference having used them for a very long time now.

It's not the lightest truck in the world and at 70-80mph it's quite a bit of weight to stop quickly. I've run RedStuff pads on my other Jap with grooved/drilled rotors, but running YellowStuff the last 4years, and i started running RedStuff recently on the Jag with some new grooved rotors all round. Suffice to say they are a huge improvement over OEM pads. No more dust than OEM and excellent bite from cold.

I've been toying with the idea of getting some new slotted rotors and redstuff pads for the truck. I need to see if i can find some uprated shoes for the rear.

I noticed a very cool thing the other day when rotating the tyres on the truck. 3rd Gens run 4-pot calipers up front, and i noticed the pads are identical to my other Jap so i'm going to swap the OEM pads out of the truck for some spare part worn RedStuff pads i have left over to see what the difference is with OEM rotors.

I'll report back when i've done. Your GreenStuff comments sound promising so i'm hoping for equally good and better from the RedStuff.
          Now it's time to play!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
            Winky.
            Dipsy.
            "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
            www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfracer View Post
              Linky?
              Of course,

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthrea...highlight=pads

However looking back, the .pdf from EBC is no longer available via that link and I couldn't find where it has been moved to. I looked back through my invoice and found the part number. Here that is:

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m31b0s3100...es_Brake_Pads_
              Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfracer View Post
                Dipsy.
                La la.
                Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by ROMEROTECH View Post
                  I would be using RedStuff over GreenStuff. Just my personal preference having used them for a very long time now.

It's not the lightest truck in the world and at 70-80mph it's quite a bit of weight to stop quickly. I've run RedStuff pads on my other Jap with grooved/drilled rotors, but running YellowStuff the last 4years, and i started running RedStuff recently on the Jag with some new grooved rotors all round. Suffice to say they are a huge improvement over OEM pads. No more dust than OEM and excellent bite from cold.

I've been toying with the idea of getting some new slotted rotors and redstuff pads for the truck. I need to see if i can find some uprated shoes for the rear.

I noticed a very cool thing the other day when rotating the tyres on the truck. 3rd Gens run 4-pot calipers up front, and i noticed the pads are identical to my other Jap so i'm going to swap the OEM pads out of the truck for some spare part worn RedStuff pads i have left over to see what the difference is with OEM rotors.

I'll report back when i've done. Your GreenStuff comments sound promising so i'm hoping for equally good and better from the RedStuff.
                  I originally was looking at Yellowstuff. If you look back at my other thread I mention I couldn't find conclusive part numbers for our trucks. These are the first upgraded brake pads I've ever had so can only go on these, really. I'd be happy to note your tests.
                  Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy View Post
                    I originally was looking at Yellowstuff. If you look back at my other thread I mention I couldn't find conclusive part numbers for our trucks. These are the first upgraded brake pads I've ever had so can only go on these, really. I'd be happy to note your tests.
                    I've had a quick look at the EBC site and those particular GreenStuff 6000/7000 series pads are specially made for trucks so it looks like you have the right pads for purpose.

ETA: I wouldn't use YellowStuff because they need several good dabs of the brakes before they are up to temp and working properly. RedStuff are good from cold and i imagine GreenStuff to be even better from cold.
                    Last edited by ROMEROTECH; 1 August 2011, 23:01.
                    Now it's time to play!

Comment

Originally posted by ROMEROTECH View Post
                      ETA: I wouldn't use YellowStuff because they need several good dabs of the brakes before they are up to temp and working properly. RedStuff are good from cold and i imagine GreenStuff to be even better from cold.
                      Iv used yellowstuff before an they never needed to be warmed up they always bit instantly for me!

Comment

It's supposed to go Green < Yellow < Red. Yellow and Red are documented to require warming up before they operate optimally. This is a very rough statement and could mean they work better when warm, or that they are crap when not warm. Green aren't supposed to be warmed up at all. Yellow is middle of the three and Red is for high end.
                        Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

I'm happy with my black pads.

Comment

:nods:

I fitted drilled and grooved discs and decent pads to my Legacy, cos they used to smell horrible and get hot quickly. Never really felt the Surf needed upgrading, even on 33's.

But then I don't drive the Surf like the Legacy.
                            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I'm happy that you're happy
                              Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Working...
                              X