Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surf just conked out

Well bugger
    Just drove up the road and the Surf conked out.
    It had been running a bit lumpy thanks to it being really ###### cold today - I'm running on a 95% veg 10% petrol which is usually fine but maybe this oil is a bit different and solidified in the fuels lines or summat.

Once I lost power and the engine died (no check lights came on) I tried to restart and it turned over but wouldn't catch.

Changed fuel filter, filled the new one up with redex and diesel and tried again but to no avail.
    If its just the cold, then all is well, when its warmed up I'll start up and change the mix.

However, I did think though that as I lost power that I heard a 'psssh!' noise, like a hose popping off underneath, but I'm not sure as I did have the sat nav jabbering away.
    If this is the case is there anything obvious it might be? Particularly if the engine was laboring too much due to the thick veg?

Had a look underneath and there's nothing obvious and I've not lost any fluids.

Any thoughts or general mocking welcome

Overfuelling by 5% by my reckoning...
    "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
    www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Originally posted by biosurf View Post
      Any thoughts or general mocking welcome
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX7wtNOkuHo

Comment

seal's in the fuel pump ? been know to be trashed by cooking oil and petrol i use 70% oil 30% diesel my self but when i ran 90% i did pump seal's in my rover sdi
        http://www.mudmuppet.com

Comment

Have you removed the fuel filler cap since it happend?

Does the primer head go hard when you pump it?

When cranking, does it 'sound' normal?

Comment

Alternatively, putting 95% oil in a petrol engine spells trouble to me....
            "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
            www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
              Have you removed the fuel filler cap since it happend?

Does the primer head go hard when you pump it?

When cranking, does it 'sound' normal?
              Yep, I removed it and stuck some diesel in for good measure. I do have a blocked breather but always leave the cap slightly loose so there was no hiss.

Primer head went hard after a lot of pumping - must have been at least 40-50 pumps.

Cranking sounded normal I think, possibly higher pitched than usual. Maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfracer View Post
                Alternatively, putting 95% oil in a petrol engine spells trouble to me....

Comment

Yep, I removed it and stuck some diesel in for good measure. I do have a blocked breather but always leave the cap slightly loose so there was no hiss.

Primer head went hard after a lot of pumping - must have been at least 40-50 pumps.

Cranking sounded normal I think, possibly higher pitched than usual. Maybe.
                  If the cranking noise was faster then I would suspect a broken timing belt, especially as you say the engine died suddenly and no check light.

I hope it's not though and could just be an electrical failure.

Comment

I'm with wolfracer on this one . Putting 95% diesel and 10% petrol may be the problem. Running 105% fuel may be overloading it a bit
                    PayPal for stickers : scuffsnscrapes@hotmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                      If the cranking noise was faster then I would suspect a broken timing belt, especially as you say the engine died suddenly and no check light.

I hope it's not though and could just be an electrical failure.
                      Knowing my luck its the timing belt.

I'll have a look when I've got a minute. Is it just a case of taking the cover off and looking?

Or indeed using the search function... ahem

Thanks Vince

Comment

Knowing my luck its the timing belt.

I'll have a look when I've got a minute. Is it just a case of taking the cover off and looking?

Or indeed using the search function... ahem

Thanks Vince
                        Just pull it away at the top far enough to touch the belt and see if it's slack.

Comment

Sorry to hear ya having problems Paul.....
                          I'm running about the same mix as you, 95% WVO n 5% Petrol of late just in case oh n a dash of Millers (no not the beer)
                          Hope it's not ya belt
                          Good Luck

Jess
                          nearly 10 years of Surfs
                          "Cos short cuts can cost more in the long run"
                          Buncefield Burner

Comment

Cheers Jess
                            I put a container under the truck with the same mix in overnight and it's still completely fluid so probably not the veg.

Crossing fingers and everything else that it's not the belt.

Comment

Well, if it is the belt, at least next week your interior lights will stay on a lot longer before the battery goes flat

Sorry!
                              Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Working...
                              X