yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boy's Off Roading In Sth Wales - The Aftermath!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boy's Off Roading In Sth Wales - The Aftermath!

It was our annual wkend away this wkend just gone. We went to Pontypool in Sth Wales, 12 of us, in 3 trucks (keep the fuel prices low) and we had a great time. I'm not sure of the exact location of the off roading, maybe some on here will know? It was only about 15mins from Pontypool.

Some great vids and pics captures throughout the wkend, i will share some for you below.

I put the Surf through some real tough stuff and, as always, she was amazing! Only got stuck once throughout.

I need a little advice also. I did give it some stick this time and it serves me right cos i have damaged something. in 4wd, there is what seems to be a grinding on the front end, so not sure if front prop uv, or maybe a CV joint? It doesn't do it at all when in 2wd, as i drove the 160 miles home with no probs. Even on full lock both ways, no prob. Only in 4wd, and that only seems to be when i turn?

Anyway.... some pics of the trip below...

And a drowned Maverick!

Any ideas fella's?
    www.vidamusic.co.uk

Did the front wheels suddenly grip after being off the ground?
    i.e. You hoofed it up a slope in 4wd, grabbed some air and came down and there was a crunch?

Comment

I was thinking the same as Vince. Also, front CV joints, when they are gubbed, are only noisy when in 4wd.
      Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Yup, you have to get off the pedal before you land!

Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
          Did the front wheels suddenly grip after being off the ground?
          i.e. You hoofed it up a slope in 4wd, grabbed some air and came down and there was a crunch?
          Yes pretty much Vince. It was actually about 2 seconds after Pic 7 - when i landed - HARD - it crunched, ya can hear it on the vid, and when i came to a stand still it kinda gripped solid for a second, as if it was trapped or something?
          www.vidamusic.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by VidaMusic View Post
            Yes pretty much Vince. It was actually about 2 seconds after Pic 7 - when i landed - HARD - it crunched, ya can hear it on the vid, and when i came to a stand still it kinda gripped solid for a second, as if it was trapped or something?

You've probably shagged the front diff then!

They are the weakest link in the Surf's drivetrain.

Drain the oil to see if any metal bits drop out to confirm.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
              You've probably shagged the front diff then!

They are the weakest link in the Surf's drivetrain.

Drain the oil to see if any metal bits drop out to confirm.
              oh no?!!!!!

That sounds bad!!
              www.vidamusic.co.uk

Comment

Mud

Hi love the pictures of your truck covered in MUD thats the way i used to love comeing home like. Looks like a nice site shame you cant remeber the name.
                Attached Files
                Live Life To The Full

Comment

I remember Boyo doing same thing (bouncing front wheels while on the power) and wrecking his front diff and a TCA with the same symptoms you have.

Sometimes 'slower and cleverer line' is the answer - as you may just have discovered.
                  Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by slobodan View Post
                    Yup, you have to get off the pedal before you land!

Awesome photo.

Comment

Don't
                      At the end of a days offroading, we always used to find a ramp from a river or other natural jump.

And wreck our suspension/diffs/etc before the long drive home.

Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Bl00dy hell them pics are ace!

I went out and under the truck earlier, checked UV joi t and they seem ok. I could turn the front prop freely, but it wasn't exactly a smooth action? It turns fine for about 3-5 turns then gets stiff for a half turn, then free again?

Also, bottom CV joints have grease coming out of them and they look a bit flat?

Does any of this sound familiar? I need to have it done soon as I'm giggin down in Hastings next wk which will be prob a 5th drive sth from home!
                        www.vidamusic.co.uk

Comment

There isn't a 'bottom' CV joint, only inner and outer. What are you checking?

Comment

Ball joints I suspect. If they're leaking grease they're bu99ered and need replacing. REALLY bad things can happen when they seize - like your wheel coming off.

There's no UV joint either - or if there is, you might get a tan off it. It's just a UJ, or Universal Joint.

I know thrashing around and getting air can be fun, but be prepared to be fixing your truck every time. You cant REALLY blow them up or leave them in the sea and expect them to keep working.
                            Last edited by Apache; 23 February 2011, 20:29.
                            Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                              Ball joints I suspect. If they're leaking grease they're bu99ered and need replacing.
                              Mindful of the slanging I got in another thread, I didn't want to prompt him. But that's my thoughts, leaky BJs; there's nothing worse...

Comment

Working...
                              X