Fitting an aux temp gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitting an aux temp gauge

If I buy one of these - http://www.rspec.co.uk/index.php?mai...fdb1088028355b

How do I plumb it in? Do I need to buy a tube where the sender sits and cut my top hose? Im guessing the most accurate would be the top hose as thats the Hot water return..

Thanks in advance, I just want to be sure before spending
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

http://www.rspec.co.uk/index.php?mai...fdb1088028355b
    私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

I think the 38mm is for the 3rd gen, I thought the 2nd needed a smaller diameter.
      Neal

Comment

Think it is 32mm??
        Neal

Comment

Okay thanks!!

Not looking forward to the read out
          Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Do a quick search to be sure of the size as I’m not 100% on it, I know I needed the one as posted by Blackpoolsparks but I'm sure the2nd gen was different. It probably will be quite an eye opener when you compare it to the factory gauge.
            Neal

Comment

Originally posted by Shalershasker View Post
              Do a quick search to be sure of the size as I’m not 100% on it, I know I needed the one as posted by Blackpoolsparks but I'm sure the2nd gen was different. It probably will be quite an eye opener when you compare it to the factory gauge.
              Ok I'll look when I'm a little less tired and alcohol induced.
              I think it will be alarming, since under heavy load, the temp needle moves and covers the stalk of the temp picture on the gauge.
              Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

My 2nd gen took a 38mm tube for my additional temp guage sender unit adapter.
                Mike G

Comment

Top hose is 32mm on the 2.4 and 38mm for the 3Ltr.

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy View Post
                    If I buy one of these - http://www.rspec.co.uk/index.php?mai...fdb1088028355b

How do I plumb it in? Do I need to buy a tube where the sender sits and cut my top hose? Im guessing the most accurate would be the top hose as thats the Hot water return..

Thanks in advance, I just want to be sure before spending

Tony!
                    Get of that Fartsbook and use the bl00die search button!

Comment

I have just fitted an auxillary temp gauge on my 3 litre. Gauge came with sender kit for £14.99 from McGill Motorsports (shop and ebay seller).
                      I fitted the sender to the cast aluminium elbow which bolts to the head and goes to the top hose. This seems to have a mounting point for a sender cast in to the top - maybe for a different model.
                      Needed a (16mm?) drill to clean up the inside of the casting hole and a 10mm one to actually drill through into the coolant passage. The thread was tapped with a 3/8 BSP tap (I think) borrowed from my local garage.
                      Everything works well and it is interesting to see how much the coolant temperature fluctuates (between about 70 degrees C when driving gently on a cool night to 95 degrees C when towing a horsebox uphill).
                      The interesting bit is that the Toyota gauge doesn't move from it's middle position under any of these driving conditions.

My only issue with the gauge I have chosen is that the backlighting is a bit too bright and is distracting at night.
                      Cheers,
                      Mark

Comment

i fitted a boost gauge that was too bright so i used one of the spare dash bulb sleeves (green mine are) which worked to a certain extent but was still distracting so it might be an idea to find a lower wattage bulb and just replace the one supplied with the gauge
                        I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

I had a look at the gauge body and it seems to be a sealed unit with a LED hardwired inside. Not a simple bulb change unfortunately.
                          Something for others to think about when choosing which gauge to fit.

Comment

If it's an LED, can you not fit a 12v variable resistor to the wire that is for the LED's power?
                            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy View Post
                              If it's an LED, can you not fit a 12v variable resistor to the wire that is for the LED's power?
                              Good idea. I will investigate.

Comment

Working...
                              X