Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pros/Cons, Advantages/Disadvantages, Likes/Dislikes of Manual vs. Auto

Hi All,

I'm looking for opinions on autu vs. manual transmission. I'll be buying a 2.4 gen2 soon, and should probably be keeping my options open. I'll be using the Surf for commuting, carrying wife & two kids at weekends, getting onto beaches, down country tracks to fishing lakes, and with luck in a couple of years, towing a 17-ish foot angling boat. Which transmission best suits my needs? Does it matter?

Thanks,

Mark
    :

I have a 2nd gen 2.4 auto and feel it's the better option for the surf for me, I always hated auto's for taking some of the "control" from the driving but thats mostly when I was trying to drive faster and using the manual to slow down for corners etc. The surf isn't designed for that, it's the 1st car I have had that I havn't felt the need to push it harder. The auto makes for a more relaxing drive especially in traffic. I also think auto's make off roading easier for a beginner which I am, experienced off road drivers may prefer a manual but many of us aren't very experienced and the auto stops you guessing the wrong gear for a slope or burning the clutch too much. I'm sure someone will disagree with my choice and there are other points against it like fuel economy and more expense if it goes wrong but I would go for the auto again. Good luck with your purchase whatever you choose.

Comment

Originally posted by silvtr1000
      Hi All,

I'm looking for opinions on autu vs. manual transmission. I'll be buying a 2.4 gen2 soon, and should probably be keeping my options open. I'll be using the Surf for commuting, carrying wife & two kids at weekends, getting onto beaches, down country tracks to fishing lakes, and with luck in a couple of years, towing a 17-ish foot angling boat. Which transmission best suits my needs? Does it matter?

Thanks,

Mark
      As your in Dublin, think of the traffic, I've been driving autos on and off since I got an automatic Vectra in '94, their value is becoming more and more apparent of late with the traffic problems in Dublin. When I jump into the girlfriends current manual Vectra I initially get the drivers buzz from the manual gearbox and have fun on back roads but once I hit the traffic, as I always seem to, I wish for an auto again.
      Having owned Vectra's and Surfs ('93 2.4 manual) in both auto and manual (along with numerous other vehicles of every persuasion) I think i'd go auto everytime now unless I wanted a pure offroad or sports machine (ie lotus or similar real sports car).

With regard to towing, I've towed with many cars, but neither surf. Favourite of all I've had for towing was the 2.0 auto vectra, autobox responded to towing perfectly. Also towed a few cars (straight-tow) with my last Jag, but that was dodgy, couldn't feel them there and kept forgetting their brakes had no hope of stopping me!!
      Last edited by Morr; 1 July 2004, 13:04.
      Maurice
      Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

So that's 2 - 0 to auto? Anyone got anything to say about manual?
        :

Comment

Ive got an auto 2.4ssrx & i tow 1600kg no problem
          Attached Files
          (\__/)
          (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
          (")_(")

Comment

i vote for the auto too, although i drive a diesel new shape transit, and wish that was an auto too, auto's are easier to drive (yes you still get very strong engine braking when selecting 1st or 2nd esp in L4), the only downside is slighty poorer MPG, slight powerloss, and lack of sportyness (is that a word??)
            [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

autobox

Hi the only bad thing l can say about autobox,s is that you can not bump start them if your battery goes flat.

PS my cheap auto is still here.
              Live Life To The Full

Comment

The clutch is more likely to burn out on a manual when under stress i.e Offroading & extreme towing
                (\__/)
                (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                (")_(")

Comment

Personally - auto all the way. I've towed, and offroaded with my auto and had no probs, I've also driven and offroaded our manual surf so I can make a fair judgement.

Only time a manual would be an advantage to me is in very steep decents off road when the manual gearbox would give you more control, that siad the engine braking on my auto is very good! Not enough of a benefit to make me swap.

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Hi All,

Thanks,

Mark

If your looking to tow very often you may be as well waiting to find a 3.0lt for those extra horses, and the auto box through the onboard wizardry is always in the correct gearing for the driving conditions, & its just so easy to drive. This is my first auto and I'm hooked.

Fish
                    If it smells like fish, eat it!

Comment

How much worse it the auto mpg over manual - what's typical for a 2.4td auto?

I would imagine bump starting (by which, I assume you mean push starting) any Surf - auto or manual - would be a bit of a struggle, no?

Hilux Bob - why do you think I'm asking? Hold that auto - she may be mine yet! I'll know for sure on Monday. Are you rallying this lot to persuade me to take yours?

Fish - the 3.0 isn't an option here in Ireland, for me anyway - nearly €1300 annual road tax, and I doubt I'd get an insurance quote below €2000.

Mark
                      :

Comment

Fish - the 3.0 isn't an option here in Ireland, for me anyway - nearly €1300 annual road tax, and I doubt I'd get an insurance quote below €2000.

Mark

OUCH!!!!!

sorry to hear that Mark.

Fish
                        If it smells like fish, eat it!

Comment

How much worse it the auto mpg over manual - what's typical for a 2.4td auto?Our 2.4 manual and our 3.0 auto both do between 24 and 28mpg depend on the nature of the trip

I would imagine bump starting (by which, I assume you mean push starting) any Surf - auto or manual - would be a bit of a struggle, no? I kinda meant tow starting from another truck....However Tony did have a go at pushing on once...
                          Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

He wouldn't ask the folk inside to get out and help?
                            :

Comment

Does it matter?

No. Both work fine.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
                              X