Help! Identifying the rear axel type for Diff Locker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Identifying the rear axel type for Diff Locker

Hi guys, am wanting to install a Lockright rear diff locker for my KZN130 and need to identify the rear axel.. does anyone know whether its an 8" 4 pinion 30 spline or an 8" 2 pinion 30 spline or something completly different!?? the only writing i can see on the diff is N2 and 370..
    any help grreatly appreciated! as i dont want to be stuck hanging over a cliff again waiting for the fire brigade to locate me and winch me back to safety!! (and i KNEW if i had diff locks i coulda got outta that one..)

cheers guys
    Klaran
    Last edited by MonsterSurf; 12 June 2008, 19:50. Reason: clearer title

most surfs are 4 pinion, not seen one that wasn't, the last number of your axle code will 2, 4 or 5.

2 is 2 pinion, 4 is 4 pinion and 5 is 4 pinion LSD.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Tony your a star, thankyou
      This is exactly what i needed to know
      Cheers
      K

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
      most surfs are 4 pinion, not seen one that wasn't, the last number of your axle code will 2, 4 or 5.

2 is 2 pinion, 4 is 4 pinion and 5 is 4 pinion LSD.

Comment

Just wanting to be sure

My Axel Code is in two parts A343F G294
        so i presume that will be the 4 pinion 8" 30 spline axel..? really want to be sure before i order one from the states
        Thankyou
        K

Comment

G294 is the axle code, the other bit is the transmission type or something.

Broken down it means

G = 8.0"

29 = 4.1 ratio

4 = 4 pinion
          =========
          =SOLD UP!=
          =========

Comment

Fantastic, thankyou for the info, you know more than Toyota GB Technicle !

Just finished stripping, cleaning, regreasing and putting new boots on the CV Driveshaft..quite a trip, and of course cleaning and regreasing the wheel bearings and overhauling the calipers..has to be done every now an then!

Originally posted by nero279 View Post
            G294 is the axle code, the other bit is the transmission type or something.

Broken down it means

G = 8.0"

29 = 4.1 ratio

4 = 4 pinion

Comment

could you do a write up and pics of the locker install if you go ahead?
              It would be a good addition to the forum.
              Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post

Yes of course, it would be a pleasure, the Lockright is a 'fit and forget' type, nothing further needed to operate it, it automatically engages itself when it needs to, yet still allows the wheels to turn at different speeds for cornering, bullet proof by all accounts, and fitted to all UN vehicles.. but the best bit is they are a fraction of the price of a ARB Air locker, delivered to the UK for under £200 and fitting is well within the scope of a good home mechanic.. well... we'll see about that haha
                i'll take pics and do a post when i get it
                Cheers
                K

Comment

just be careful on wet roads.... sideways action is not unheard of... at least with the air locker, you control when it is locked....
                  1993 HiLux Surf (mine)
                  1998 RAV4 (hers)

Comment

Originally posted by MonsterSurf View Post
                    Yes of course, it would be a pleasure, the Lockright is a 'fit and forget' type, nothing further needed to operate it, it automatically engages itself when it needs to, yet still allows the wheels to turn at different speeds for cornering, bullet proof by all accounts, and fitted to all UN vehicles.. but the best bit is they are a fraction of the price of a ARB Air locker, delivered to the UK for under £200 and fitting is well within the scope of a good home mechanic.. well... we'll see about that haha
                    i'll take pics and do a post when i get it
                    Cheers
                    K

Excellent!

I'll need one soon, 'cos only the offside side wheel spins when doing burnouts.

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
                      Write up here
                      Brian

Comment

Sounds a bit like the detroit truelocker (LSD)

http://www.neneoverland.co.uk/www/parts/detroit.htm
                        Gaz

Comment

Working...
                        X