Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vacuum pipes...Again!

Hi All...

Ive recently got a 1990 surf 2.4TD manual...i bought it not working...a bit of an unfinished project from the previous owner...the head cracked and the guy fitted (well started to!) a complete recon engine...

anywho...none o the vacuum pipes were conected...ive found a load of info about where they conect from previous posts and think most of them are now in the right place...the only one im struggling to find a home for is the pipe that comes from the alternator....its in to the steel pipe across with the turbo pipe..then.???...

i got a lot of info from the line digram that has been posted before..however i just cant find where this bit should conect to!...

that aside...its running now altho its lacking power above 2000rpm...im hoping it could be down to this pipe?....

Cheers all..and i must congratulate you on a great forum

Ta

Sparkz
    Last edited by sparkz; 31 December 2006, 17:09.
    sparkz
    http://www.elite4x4.co.uk/

Originally posted by sparkz

anywho...none o the vacuum pipes were conected...ive found a load of info about where they conect from previous posts and think most of them are now in the right place...the only one im struggling to find a home for is the pipe that comes from the alternator....its in to the steel pipe across with the turbo pipe..then.???...
    thats the pipe that give vacuum to all the junk on that side of the motor, you need to connect it a set of steel pipes bolted to the intake manifold, then these go of to the EGR and stut down valves.

Is this your truck? The pics show a EFI pipe, but 90' should be non-EFI, if its a non-efi motor, the hose run to the intake elbow and hooks on the fitting that goes under the bracket that holds the two solonoids....

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

[QUOTE=TonyN]thats the pipe that give vacuum to all the junk on that side of the motor, you need to connect it a set of steel pipes bolted to the intake manifold, then these go of to the EGR and stut down valves.

Is this your truck? The pics show a EFI pipe, but 90' should be non-EFI, if its a non-efi motor, the hose run to the intake elbow and hooks on the fitting that goes under the bracket that holds the two solonoids....

[QUOTE]

Hi Tony...thanks for your help on this...

that isnt my truck. but it looks exactly like it...the only pic i have of my engine at the moment...is it as i bought it (in peices!...see attached engine in peices pic)..its all built up and working now...just im not at home with the truck at the mo..

i found a bank of steel pipes earlier coming up as shown in the other attached pic...and another single steel pipe at the back of the engine...close to the bulkhead...but they all seem to have pipes conected already

i hope this makes some sence...

i know the truck is a jap import..and the engine in it is a new shiney (reconditioned one)...

i should be able to get some actual pics later today when iget home if this doesnt thro any light on my engine identification

also looking at your pic...i see the pipe coming across...altho i dont have 2 solinoids on that bracket...only one...like in my 1st pic :s

Thanks again for your help
      Last edited by sparkz; 31 December 2006, 18:02.
      sparkz

Comment

OK, if you truck is non-EFI (90' should be), the hoses look like this, with all the connections behind the intake elbow......

and you should have 2 soloinds on that bracket.

If its a EFI, they are different, with one solonoid on the bracket, and the steel 'manifold' for all the hoses to join together in front of the intake elbow, like your first pic.

Are you sure you not trying to fit a EFI motor into a non-EFI truck?

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
          OK, if you truck is non-EFI (90' should be), the hoses look like this, with all the connections behind the intake elbow......

and you should have 2 soloinds on that bracket.

If its a EFI, they are different, with one solonoid on the bracket, and the steel 'manifold' for all the hoses to join together in front of the intake elbow, like your first pic.

Are you sure you not trying to fit a EFI motor into a non-EFI truck?

Deff an EFI i have then...its H reg...im sure i remeber seeing on the log book..it was a 1990...but i might be mistaken..it may be a 91..and hence a EFI...everything semed to fit ok..with not too unused conectors!

so should my alternator pipe conect in to one of those steel pipes towards the front of the manifold? (where i arrowed on my pic?) if so...im guessing this guy i bought the thing off may have had a play and conected them up incorectly in the 1st place!...

i think im gonna end up removing everything thats fitted so far and start from scratch...if it is an EFI is this the correct diagram for it?

cheers again...
          sparkz

Comment

Originally posted by sparkz
            so should my alternator pipe conect in to one of those steel pipes towards the front of the manifold? (where i arrowed on my pic?) if so...im guessing this guy i bought the thing off may have had a play and conected them up incorectly in the 1st place!...
            Yup, there is one pipe pointing towards the metal pipe, it goes on there, all the others go from the steel pipes to the soloinds.

I'll see if I've got a pic of the EFI vacuum pipes, that other pic you tried to post is still a Non-EFI set up. (That ozzie forum dosn't let you link directly to thier pics)

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
              Yup, there is one pipe pointing towards the metal pipe, it goes on there, all the others go from the steel pipes to the soloinds.

I'll see if I've got a pic of the EFI vacuum pipes, that other pic you tried to post is still a Non-EFI set up. (That ozzie forum dosn't let you link directly to thier pics)
              ok...ill also take some pics of what i have when i get home...and hopefully will get to the bottom of it

ta
              sparkz

Comment

OK...back home now

just taken these pics of the offending engine...hopefully a trained eye will spot the obvious and point me in the right direction

Thanks in advance...

S
                sparkz

Comment

Gotta go next door for a party now, but quickly.....

The pipe with the 'T' in its isn't right, on a EFI motor the pipe comes out the round filter and goes straight to the Turbo pressure sensor on the air filter box.

If it was a non-EFI motor, the 'T' is needed, but it goes to the Altitude adjustor on the fuel pump, not to that solonoid.

Sort out the rest later........

:beer:

Comment

Cheers Tony...

Will swap these over in the mean time...

out of the filter directly to the airbox...and from my alternator to where i removed the 3rd leg on the solinoid...

will report findings later

Have a good night....and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

S

UPDATE...did the above and the turbo sounds different (might be just my ears tho!) but no improvment to performance..anything beyond 3rd gear and the revs just drop off

S
                    Last edited by sparkz; 31 December 2006, 23:41.
                    sparkz

Comment

Testing direct pic link.

More pics here -

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/24lteparts.htm

Here's a recent diagram I drew up on the vacuum system on the intake manifold side.

1 - EGR Valve
                      2 - Vacuum Diaphragm
                      3 - Small Butterfly
                      4 - Bottom VSV Under Manifold
                      5 - Top VSV Under Manifold
                      6 - VSV on throttle Body
                      7 - Vacuum Supply From Vacuum Pump
                      8 - EGR Vacuum Supply
                      9 - Vacuum Diaphragm - Lower Chamber Vacuum Supply Hose
                      10 - Vacuum Diaphragm - Upper Chamber Vacuum Supply Hose
                      11 - Wiring Harness.

When throttle is opened Vacuum is supplied to 8 and opens EGR Valve. Vacuum is switched via Solenoid 4. Solenoid open when throttle is open and closed when throttle is closed. TPS is probably the source of the signal for this VSV to switch on and off.

Vacuum supplied to Upper Chamber of Vacuum Diaphragm when Ignition is switched off via VSV 6 which closes the Butterfly.. This switches off automatically a couple of seconds later allowing the Butterfly to return to normal open position. The source of the switching for this is the Ignition Switch and some sort of timer somewhere behind the dash.

Lower Chamber of Vacuum Diaphragm partially closes the butterfly when Vacuum is supplied via VSV 5. Yet to determine if this happens when Air Con is switched on or through something else. I believe it partially closes Butterfly 3 to compensate for the extra load on engine from the Air Con. Waiting for a reply to previous question on this.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That about covers the mechanical operation of this and some of the electrics for the VSVs. The wiring after it goes into the harness is still a bit of a mystery.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also replicated Simons problem with the black smoke. Connected a Vacuum to upper chamber (10) of Diaphragm and got clouds of black smoke. This would be similar to having the VSV (6) stuck open or Vacuum hose in wrong position or fault in wiring causing the VSV (6) to be open rather than the normally closed position with the engine running.

Nev

Note that the wiring on the solenoids will be on the side rather than the end as illustrated and the solenoids have a filter on the end of each.

I'll draw up a full and better schematic of 2L-TE vacuum system when I get a chance.

Nev
                      Last edited by NiftyNev; 1 January 2007, 04:26.

Comment

H all..

Thanks Nev for the information...just to confirm this is the corect diagram for my EFI engine?..

sorry to ask a silly question but am i right in assuming 2L-T =non EFI and 2L-TE = EFI? therefore i have a 2L-TE right?

Cheers again...

S
                        sparkz

Comment

Yep. This is for the 2L-TE EFI. Both are indirect injection, the difference being the 2L-TE has electronic control of fuel supply etc via the pump through sensors on the engine and elsewhere whereas the 2L-T has the throttle cable and other components connected to the pump which are mechanically controlled.

Nev

Comment

Just thought I'd point out that number 3 in the diagram (the small butterfly) is not visible on the vehicle as it is in the throttle housing on the manifold. It is shown just to illustrate what is connected to the diaphragm number 2 via a linkage to this.

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev
                              Just thought I'd point out that number 3 in the diagram (the small butterfly) is not visible on the vehicle as it is in the throttle housing on the manifold. It is shown just to illustrate what is connected to the diaphragm number 2 via a linkage to this.

Nev
                              ok...all as per the diagram (found loads wrong....the great thing about picking up when someone else has had a fiddle and given up!!) with the exception of USV 6...am i right in thinking the unused leg of this (nearest the bulkhead) is just capped off?...currently there was no blank on it..therefore i assumed it should be used?

also in the pic you linked to...

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/Images/9.jpg

it shows a 'T' inbetween the turbo pressure sensor and the filter....where does the 3rd leg go? (diag shows it clipped to the fuel line)

thanks again...

S
                              sparkz

Comment

Working...
                              X