how many MPG?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep reading.

But basically, just experiment. I'm running around 50% mix during winter, and up to around 80% in summer. Start of with low veg oil (maybe 25%), and work up from there.

I've not noticed any real difference between adding the diesel first, or the veg.

Also, keep a fuel filter handy, the veg oil does a good job of cleaning the crap out of the fuel system, but it does tend to block the filter a little.
    Paul </Slugsie>
    Immortal.so far!

Comment

Originally posted by Slugsie View Post
      Anyone want to spot PDR £50 so he can do a short motorway run and check the fuel consumption???
      It's about 20mpg.....

Comment

Got veg oil from Tesco for 56p pl. It's only litre bottles though.

Comment

Originally posted by The Hornet View Post
          Got veg oil from Tesco for 56p pl. It's only litre bottles though.
          Not round here. They cottoned on, and the 1ltr corn oil went from about 54p/ltr to about 88p/ltr. This was last week.
          Paul </Slugsie>
          Immortal.so far!

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
            It's about 20mpg.....
            Well that’s not too bad at all.

I’ve actually found a way to considerably reduce the amount of petrol I use…..

With the combination of the train and a folding bike… feel much fitter as well
            Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

Originally posted by joe GT View Post
              I've read up about running it on veg oil, but they don't seem to say anything about the fuel to veg ratio. can i just fill the tank up 1/4 with veg oil and go from there? unless the veg oil sinks benbeath the diesel, or vice versa?
              20% Veg is a good place to start. Beware cold weather -- Pirate-Storm (Will) recently had trouble with veg oil gelling in a sudden cold snap (though I think he was at 70% veg).

Veg and Dino-Diesel mix very well, and will stay mixed (doesn't separate back out). Make sure it's well mixed to start with (I do this my driving on a rough local road with lots of turns!)

Comment

Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a go on the weekend.
                What size fuel tank does the '93 2.4TD surf have? Just so i can get the ratio and amount right.

My tank is on just below full, so is it a good idea to top it up and basically give it a go? And i take it i don't need a pre heater when running on small mixes??

Joe.
                1993 Toyota Hilux Surf 2.4TD

Comment

What size fuel tank does the '93 2.4TD surf have? Just so i can get the ratio and amount right.
                  Should be about 65ltrs.
                  Paul </Slugsie>
                  Immortal.so far!

Comment

My tank is on just below full, so is it a good idea to top it up and basically give it a go? And i take it i don't need a pre heater when running on small mixes??

Joe.
                    The tank is 60ltrs, minus whatever dents and gunge has built up over the years. Mine's about 55ltrs now.
                    You won't need a pre-heater with 20% -- but a pre-heater is a really good idea; the less stress on the pump the better.

Oh, and always fit the heater BEFORE the fuel filter.

Comment

Thanks guys

When i've tried and tested, I'll let you know my finds/faults.
                      1993 Toyota Hilux Surf 2.4TD

Comment

I have just bought a hilux and intend to run on pure veggie oil. I have been running my diesel westfalia for 2 years on pure veggie oil no problems. Veggie oil runs through simple water pre heater/ heat exchanger, then I have a 20 amp fuel line heater attached just before the injector pump. Key point is always get engine hot before switching to veggie. The veggie oil needs to be about 160f to have same viscosity as diesel. If you feed 160f veggie oil into a cold injector pump the 160f will fast become 100f or lower and your injector pump will eventually gum up with varnish from oil. So run veggie 100% is good as long as engines hot and you heat the oil!

two tanks, simple selector switch to flip from diesel to veggie (plant drive supplies parts in Canada)
                        Last edited by matt lamb; 24 February 2021, 21:08.

Comment

Working...
                        X