No announcement yet.

Manual to auto swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interested in the shims in the accumulators - they look pretty thick! How much harder do you expect the shifts to be with them fitted? That bit looks like a pretty straightforward mod. I await the results with interest. Might machine some shims up myself.
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

'cuse the ignorance Guvn'a

But whats the idea behind adjusting the gear shifts?!

Mine are silky smooth.... Is there any benefit in making them harsher?

Comment

Shifting manually, you can blow away '04 Celicas from the lights!
        Well, you can in my truck anyway.

Just fired off an Email re; shipping costs for one of these.....
        http://www.lextreme.com/tc.htm

Comment

Hello,

The pic of the shims is not of the good shims. The good ones are 6mm shim, this is 6mm more of the spring.

With the throttle cable set to max and the shimmed accumulators you get faster shifts and you only notice a small "jump" in the car. The reason behind this is to be faster and also to bulletproof the tranny. More oil pressure and faster shifts means less clutch and brake wear and less ATF temp,so it's better in the long term, that is what I was searching.

In the dyno, driving over the rollers, my truck did 0-100kph (0-60mph) in 5.22 sec! Also got the 180kph and stopped because the dash needle arrived to the end... The car runs so well with the exhaust, intercooler, rebuild injection and the auto tranny...

David
          '94 4Runner 3.0TD - SAS'ed on 35's

Comment

Wow, I'm impressed, looks propper complicated to me, but I love what you've done to your truck.

I'm impressed by the 0-60 time too, I count mine in minutes.
            Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Originally posted by plumb bob View Post
              Wow, I'm impressed, looks propper complicated to me, but I love what you've done to your truck.

I'm impressed by the 0-60 time too, I count mine in minutes.
              No wind resistance, still good though.

Comment

hehe, a 0-60 time on rollers is a bit different to a 0-60 time when you are actually accelerating the mass of the truck Rob!

However, its a good indicator of how the performance of the box now differs to the original setup.

Rod, as David says, harder shifts are actually better for the tranny than the soft, slippy shifts designed to make life more comfy for the occupants. Less slip = less wear / heat.

David, I'd be very interested in some more detail of how you did the shims mod. Does the tranny need to be removed, or are the accumulators accessible without removing it?

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                  No wind resistance, still good though.
                  Erm, the 2 tons of mass wont make any difference then Vince?

Consider an aeroplane on a treadmill...

Comment

Working...
                  X