Engine Oil Cooler KZN130

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Oil Cooler KZN130

Hi, i'm not shure if anyones ever fitted an oil cooler to their 3Ltr or 2.4 Td? So
    i thought some of you may find this interesting,if not usefull if you do a lot of towing or work your engines hard at times off-roading! I have fitted a Setrab 25 row 115mm matrix cooler which is a perfect fit inside the grill on the near side of the vehicle.Hose size is 5/8" ID to maintain oil pressure and flow through the engine,and push on aeroquip fittngs 90 deg (fir-tree) on both ends of the hose.Just one small mod to the bodywork as you can see to enlarge the hole(elongate it) on the front pannel to allow the hoses through and the old radiator hose used to protect the oil hoses as they pass through the pannel to the cooler.This may differ on the 2.4 engine,i'm not familiar with the layout, but with more room there should be easier to fit.The parts to
    do this conversion are all readily available and if anyone's interested i'll quite happily pass on the relevant information! I fabricated the frame from mild steel
    and mounted the cooler to that on rubber bobins to isolate any vibrations and fixed it to the top pannel including another support strip under the pannel
    to strengthen the mounting with 10mm x30mm bolts.
    Attached Files

That looks good mate. that blue hose looks like the aeroquip hose i used for my tranny coolers,good hose, but hard to push the fittings on!

Can I ask what oil temps you were getting, to warrant puttting an oil cooler on your 4-runner? I've hadn't thought the 3.0 litre needed an additional oil cooler, but to be fair it hasnt an oil temp gauge. Mine could be getting toasty and I wouldn't know.
    Last edited by europa88; 12 May 2010, 20:05.
    www.europa88.co.uk Loadsa mods!

Comment

Brilliant! - I think you're the 1st person here to find a sandwich plate for the oil filter fitting. Please post the part no. and where you bought it ?

Cheers,
      Rob.

Comment

Excellent job chap! Is there any thermostat in the circuit anywhere?
        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by europa88 View Post
          That looks good mate. that blue hose looks like the aeroquip hose i used for my tranny coolers,good hose, but hard to push the fittings on!

Can I ask what oil temps you were getting, to warrant puttting an oil cooler on your 4-runner? I've hadn't thought the 3.0 litre needed an additional oil cooler, but to be fair it hasnt an oil temp gauge. Mine could be getting toasty and I wouldn't know.
          Hi, im just waiting for my oil temp gauge to arrive,but the reason for fitting it was my long journeys sometimes towing but usually with a full tool kit in the back.I havent fitted a thermostat but its easily fitted in the oil lines, as mentioned i used areoquip hose and the thermostat adapters are readiliy available.
          Out of intrest, after i fitted it my oil pressure improved conciderably!Tick over its about 25psi and at 2-3000rpm its about 60/70 psi. But there are advantages of the oil cooler like maintaining better viscosity longer oil life and ofcourse reducing engine stress and simply making it last longer!!
          Cheers, Barron.
          Last edited by red barron; 13 May 2010, 08:08.

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
            Brilliant! - I think you're the 1st person here to find a sandwich plate for the oil filter fitting. Please post the part no. and where you bought it ?

Cheers,
            Rob.
            Hi Rob.
            As requested here are the part Nos:

Toyota Sandwich Plate: Part No.SP16X - M24 X 1.5 (price 23.36)
            Bolt: Part No.8745 (fixes plate to engine and filter to plate, price 30.31)
            All the fittings and pipes including adapters unions ect are available from think automotive, who in fact supply all the aftermarket suppliers so to buy direct makes sense. The oil Cooler is available from Serck and is conciderably cheaper to source from them. Here are the links to the relative sites!
            Regards,Pete.

http://www.thinkauto.com/

http://www.serckservicesmotorsport.c...ers/227518.htm

The advantages of engine oil cooling (Kenlow) Interesting reading!!
            http://www.kenlowe.com/oil-coolers/engine/about.html
            Last edited by red barron; 14 May 2010, 08:37.

Comment

Thanks for the info

Rob.

Comment

Exellent!

Great mod , mate! Credit to ya! ..Ill be looking for something very similar on mine soon....Cheers...Mick.
                " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

anyone tried this yet?
                  My Surf eats knuckles for breakfast!

Comment

Originally posted by che2318 View Post
                    anyone tried this yet?
                    Probably the bloke in the 1st post

Comment

Originally posted by Growler View Post
                      Probably the bloke in the 1st post
                      lol.

i meant anyone else tried this yet?

wondering if anyone has any feedback on it if they have done it to their truck.
                      My Surf eats knuckles for breakfast!

Comment

Sorry couldn't resist

Comment

Originally posted by red barron View Post
                          Hi Rob.
                          As requested here are the part Nos:

Toyota Sandwich Plate: Part No.SP16X - M24 X 1.5 (price 23.36)
                          Bolt: Part No.8745 (fixes plate to engine and filter to plate, price 30.31)
                          All the fittings and pipes including adapters unions ect are available from think automotive, who in fact supply all the aftermarket suppliers so to buy direct makes sense.

http://www.thinkauto.com/
                          I can't find those part numbers in the catalogue. Any tips on where to look?

Nev

Comment

Bump!

Nev

Comment

I couldn't find them either Nev but will email them to double check before I buy one and install it.

Comment

Working...
                              X