Changing Alternator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing Alternator

As I'm changing the ###### alternator soon, is there anything I need to look out for or any tips for me, such as remove said bit before as it will help with your ridiculous lack of available space. I had a ###### 'mare doing the starter a little while ago. It's a 3L Gen 2.
    Still Can't believe I own a Hilux

AC compresor, move that out of the way and you'll have buckets of room.
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

yeah, its easy, the A/C pump will pull out the way and sit on the rad without disconnecting anything.

The pivot end is often tight, you can knock the spacer in the front of the mount that takes up the slack when you do the bolt up back a bit so you can get it in easier.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Check the condition of the belt for signs of cracking & change if necessary.
        If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Wish I'd read about knocking the spacer back...

before changing the alternator again (4th removal, 3rd Alternator). I've got it down to half an hour now, complete job, that includes finding the spanners and putting them away again!
          Think the one i took out today had a faulty V regulator, so its going back to be checked.
          I take the battery out, and disconnect the +ve from the other battery. seems to work okay.

you will need:
          10mm ring for power lead removal from alternator
          10mm for tensioner end bolt
          12mm for battery holder front bolt.
          12mm for bolt that holds tensioner onto alternator, and to crack off the other end of the tensioner arm that bolts to engine
          14mm for pivot bolt

Take battery out or AC compressor (DO NOT REMOVE PIPES!)
          disconnect other battery if removing LHS battery
          remove connector block and power lead from alt
          turn temsioner end bolt a couple of turns to release the pressure on the belts.
          remove 12mm bolt holding tensioner arm to alt.
          crack off, (loosen slightly) lower bolt holding tensioner arm to engine block.
          Remove 14mm bolt from pivot- it helps to rotate the Alt around a bit to help free the bolt.
          jiggle the alt out. It weighs more than you think.

refitting.

knock back washer at the front of the pivot mount on engine block
          get the pivot bolt back in. It helps to raise the Alt slightly from its lowest position to full tighten this bolt by hand...
          and the rest is a reversal of the above.

Hope this helps someone...
          "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
          www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Excellent write up.
            I needed to support the air con pump on a bungee cord as the hoses were cold and hard.

Next stop get a new one and pop it back in

Comment

Working...
            X