Disabling the EGR valve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good thread!

I've just about finished swapping all my bits from the old head over to the new one and have made a pair of blanking plates for the egr today.

So now I've just got to work out how to bodge the small butterfly to be open all the time except on shutdown and jobs a goodun.

There must be a small 12v controlled vacuum valve that could do this, powered by the ignition live circuit ?

Rob.

Edit: Maybe find a 12v mini servo that will move the lever down with 12v on and up with no voltage.Maybe model aircraft stuff ?

Edit edit: Door lock actuator -> cable -> small butterfly lever seems easily do-able .
    Last edited by wishbone; 17 August 2012, 19:37.

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post

So now I've just got to work out how to bodge the small butterfly to be open all the time except on shutdown and jobs a goodun.

There must be a small 12v controlled vacuum valve that could do this, powered by the ignition live circuit ?

Rob.

Edit: Maybe find a 12v mini servo that will move the lever down with 12v on and up with no voltage.Maybe model aircraft stuff ?

Edit edit: Door lock actuator -> cable -> small butterfly lever seems easily do-able .
      Way too complicated. Just remove bottom hose and block with a ball bearing and secure somewhere with a cable tie. Remove top hose and cut a short section from it. I'll let you work out the length after you read the rest of this. Grab a T and insert between the short section and original hose and reconnect to diaphragm. With another short section of vacuum hose, connect the T to where bottom hose was removed from.

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
        Way too complicated. Just remove bottom hose and block with a ball bearing and secure somewhere with a cable tie. Remove top hose and cut a short section from it. I'll let you work out the length after you read the rest of this. Grab a T and insert between the short section and original hose and reconnect to diaphragm. With another short section of vacuum hose, connect the T to where bottom hose was removed from.

Nev
        Even better - Thanks Nev.

Will do that tomorrow and take pics.

Comment

Here's how it's done on a 2.4.

http://postimage.org/image/m6kfkk53p/

Nev

Comment

Here's how it's done on a 2.4.

http://postimage.org/image/m6kfkk53p/

Nev
            That is just about idiot proof ,will be done today.
            Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Nev
              Is the 3ltr the same proceedure??
              .... Which was nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Overland Tonka View Post
                Is the 3ltr the same proceedure??
                I am fairly sure the 3Ltr system works in the same way so yes. VSVs are just in different position at back of engine. Just make sure you get the right hoses or the butterfly will want to close while engine is running.

Nev

Comment

Cheers Nev.
                  .... Which was nice.

Comment

Nev,

I've had a good read up on the 3 litre vsv's so have worked out what they actually do (ie with or without 12v applied) However cannot find any mention of when that voltage is applied.

Does the 2nd vsv on the 2.4 (the one that fully closes the small butterfly (as long as the other actuator has vacuum aswell) ) only get voltage at shutdown ?

I'm thinking of attatching a couple of very low wattage bulbs to the vsv's connectors and seeing when they light up (cheaper than a pair of vacuum gauges ), However would need to find a running truck to do that to as mine is in pieces right now.

Thanks,
                    Rob.

Comment

Does the 2nd vsv on the 2.4 (the one that fully closes the small butterfly (as long as the other actuator has vacuum aswell) ) only get voltage at shutdown ?
                      Yep, the VSV on top of throttle only has vacuum for a few seconds on shutdown. At idle there is vacuum to the bottom of diaphragm (VSV for this is under manifild along with the EGR Valve VSV) so when key is turned off combined vacuum from both, closes the butterfly.

I have a bit of info here http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/v...ic.php?t=25419 and at the link in that thread about what VSV does what on the 2.4s.

When some remove the EGR along with the VSVs, then they end up with rough engine shutdown, unless mods are done. I prefer to leave it all there and just disable the EGR Valve. Blanking plates are good if you suspect the EGR Valve is not working, or stuck open.

Nev
                      Last edited by NiftyNev; 19 August 2012, 23:58.

Comment

When some remove the EGR along with the VSVs, then they end up with rough engine shutdown, unless mods are done. I prefer to leave it all there and just disable the EGR Valve. Blanking plates are good if you suspect the EGR Valve is not working, or stuck open.

Nev
                        Its does but its not a big deal, no UK older pickup and any 4Runners have the butterflies in the intake, they just turn off the motor buy closing the fuel off at the pump.

So in effect they just run out of diesel, then have to charge the injectors before it'll start. Choking the intake before shutting off the solenoid is just a smoother way of turning off or and then starting truck next time.

The EGR system is a pain in the arse on diesel engines, even on modern motors, I spend so long cleaning intakes on smokey diesel engines whatever their age, doing my neighbours 04' merc at the mo, its completely gummed up with oily soot.

Best off binning it.
                        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                          Its does but its not a big deal, no UK older pickup and any 4Runners have the butterflies in the intake, they just turn off the motor buy closing the fuel off at the pump.

So in effect they just run out of diesel, then have to charge the injectors before it'll start. Choking the intake before shutting off the solenoid is just a smoother way of turning off or and then starting truck next time.
                          small point ...

all diesels turn of the motor by shutting off the fuel.
                          the butterfly just gives it a smooth shutdown. makes it a bit easier on the engine mounts.
                          injectors don't run out of diesel. the pump stops sending any more diesel up the line. the diesel in the line stays there. otherwise you would air lock the injectors every time you shut the engine off.

Comment

Yep, the VSV on top of throttle only has vacuum for a few seconds on shutdown. At idle there is vacuum to the bottom of diaphragm (VSV for this is under manifild along with the EGR Valve VSV) so when key is turned off combined vacuum from both, closes the butterfly.

I have a bit of info here http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/v...ic.php?t=25419 and at the link in that thread about what VSV does what on the 2.4s.

Nev

Thanks Nev - I've put some pics from the 3.0 manual in this thread along with what I plan to try first. If it all work as hoped then I'll make a seperate thread with info and pics for the 3.0 as there doesn't seem to be a concise one here.

I've made blanking plates for mine as all 3 of the 3 litres I've owned have had loads of crud in the inlet manifolds.

Rob.

Comment

Should have phrased it better. EGR does not operate anytime, other than at idle, on the Surf. Does not operate at idle, if engine is not up to operating though.

Anyone wants to test this then just connect a vacuum gauge to the EGR Valve hose and see what happens while driving.

Nev
                              Might be different on the 3.0 then - the manual states there should be no vacuum on either pipe of the small butterfly actuator at idle, hot or cold.

It says to check that when opening the throttle valve from idle that the vacuum gauge will register vacuum.

The plot thickens...

Comment

I've made blanking plates for mine as all 3 of the 3 litres I've owned have had loads of crud in the inlet manifolds.

Rob.
                                Thanks for the info on the other thread Rob,
                                Just as a side note when I did my 3.0 4Runner last year,the inlet manifold was clean,just a light coating of soot.Interestinly the 4Runner runs no EGR at all,in essence blanked off!

Regards

Mark

Comment

Working...
                                X