Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toyota 3.0 TD, KZN 185 engine - black smoke, over revving

Toyota Surf 3.0 TD, KZN 185 engine - black smoke, over revving

Just like to say hi from over the pond not a good first post I know but any help welcome:-

I've had this Toyota Surf (import) 3.0 TD, KZN 185 engine, automatic, for a month. 100k km on the clock. . Air, fuel, oil filters all changed and oil change.

A few days ago I noticed a little puff of black smoke on acceleration. Not a lot but not there before. No other symptoms. Went for a long motorway journey yesterday and the black smoke worsened until I was leaving a little/large black cloud whenever I accelerated. I got home parked up and in the morning jumped in the car and it over-revved to around 2000 rpm and black smoked poured out of the exhaust lots you could not see the rear of the car it was they bad. Stitched off - the engine stopped...phew. I checked the oil level - fine - and couldn't see any oil leaks or turbo leaks never over heated water levels all ok oil pressure good.
    I stripped down the engine top i.e. removed the air intake so I could get to the fuel injectors and carried out pressure tests all ok so re built the thing back up and started the car no issues this time ticking over 900 rpm but still get the black smoke see the video.
    http://s185.photobucket.com/albums/x20/randygb/vids/?action=view&current=...
    I did carry out the fault diagnostic test and it came up with number 24

INTAKE AIR TEMPERATURE SENSOR SIGNAL--OPEN OR SHORT IN INTAKE AIR TEMP. SIGNAL
    --INTAKE AIR TEMPERATURE CIRCUIT

--INTAKE AIR TEMPERATURE SENSOR

--ECU
    Tonight I have disconnected the battery and went for a 10 mile drive I will recheck the fault test tomorrow and see what comes up.
    EGR system is still intake on the car any help would be grateful

Thanks Andy
Working...
X