No announcement yet.

New owner. First major service advice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New owner. First major service advice.

Hey, So I am the happy owner of a Surf. First 4x4, looking forward togetting to know it.

I am the second owner since import in 09 but she only put 10k on it running to work and back in all that time. It has been well serviced with fluids in that time but I am unsure of other secondary schedule jobs..

I want to give it a darn good service before putting it to work and I would appreciate any pointers I might have missed from my list and any places other than my local motor factors to get stuff from.

Here is what I have so far. Bare in mind its been sat for a while unused so things like the brake fluid are being changed because of service interval and its hydroscopic nature. Also here is a list of prospective modifications all aimed at reading trouble before it gets dangerous and prolonging engine life. Any pointers on the best, tried/tested parts and anything I could consider adding will also be very much appreciated.

KZN185 service parts list

3x aux belts
    1xcambelt
    cambelt tensioner
    cambelt pully
    water pump
    dot 3 fluid
    fuel filter
    oil filter
    oil
    air filter
    coolant

SERVICE
    change water pump
    check valve clearences
    Check glowplug operation/condition
    service injectors
    change all belts
    check dif oils
    check trans case oil
    change brake fluid
    Flush radiator
    Grease all joints and points the internet shows need it
    oil change/filter
    air filter
    Brake inspection and service/clean.
    fuel filter

NON STANDARD SERVICE
    Refill viscous fan with 10,000 weight oil
    Remove intake parts and clean. MAF sensor, pipes etc.

LONGEVITY MODIFICATIONS
    Remove EGR system.
    Install Pyrometer/EGT sensor into EGR port in manifold with EGT gauge in cab
    Install boost guage
    Install transmission temp gauge
    Delete in radiator oil cooler and replace with external cooler.
    Install 9'' aux fan behind oil cooler with switch in cab.
    Install manual boost controller
    Install manual rad
    Free wheeling hubs
    3'' down pipe
    3'' exhaust

I have the help of a 'free' mechanic and intend to do the service first then start the second list in the summer.

How am I doing? Anything I could do with adding for a ''not too sure if its been looked at in a while'' service list on a KZN185?

How many miles is the water pump normally good for? I'm thinking while I'm at it I might as well but what is the general rule with the surf?

Cheers.
    Last edited by Lewd Lux Lover; 8 March 2015, 09:20.
Working...
X