Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big trip head worries.... malawi, tanzania, mozambique

Hey there,

I have just purchased a 92 2.4lte manual here in malawi (the warm heart of africa), apparently its only done 55,000km, i doubt this, but it does seem incredibly clean for a 13 year old car, no squeak’s rattles, no undue wear on wheel, upholstery or gear knob, ALL the electrics work (unheard of in this part of the world). I am the first owner of the car in africa and it was imported through durban about two months ago. I read elsewhere that white smoke on startup is a sign of the head on its way out, my surf has had the thermostat removed or replaced (have yet to check) and does not smoke one bit on acceleration or on a warm start. On a cold start though there is a fair sized cloud of white smoke, is this something i should be worried about given i'm about to leave malawi for a round trip through Tanzania and down the Mozambique coast back to blantyre in Malawi after a month and a half or so. This is a trip of about 5000km and will be mostly in 27-35 degree heat. I am checking coolant and oil daily at the moment, and its drinking nothing. Fuel economy is good and turbo seems fine.

Is there anything i can do to check my head (have checked for bubbling in expansion tank and the "wet shoes" test) or should i just stop worrying, keep an eye on the gauge and drive??

Anyway, the forum's great, really informative, thanks guys.

Jim
Working...
X