Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shakin'

Dear all,

Any thoughts on the following - or is it par for the course for surfs and knobbly tyres?

Have noticed that I get a mild left to right shaking of the vehicle. More than a vibration, but not excessive. You especially notice it if passenger seat empty- as you can see out of the corner of your eye the seat moving side to side. Gets worse as speed increases - tops out at 70mph, then starts to reduce again.
    No real feeling thro' steering wheel. Doesn't feel like wheel balance - have had that before and know what it feels like.

Any ideas?

Ta.
    .......because I can....OK!
    2.4 TD manual 1992 SSR-X

sounds like the question I'm asking in the tech area of this forum...
    I have some tape cassette's in passenger door pocket and they shake like crazy, making a right racket, upwards of 50mph, and like you can see seat shaking.
    going to get wheels balanced 'properly' tomorrow to see if that helps
    Landcruiser Colorado
    Sub. Forester

Comment

yep- thats it

Andy, have read your original post - and that sums up my problem completely. Thats no help atall for you - but at least you are not alone!!!!
      2.4 TD manual 1992 SSR-X

Comment

I would have said it was balancing or possibly a buckled wheel? also have you had the tracking checked?
        so much to do , so little money , so little time

Comment

tried giving the axle a shake? cold be worn bushes on the track control arms making the axle move?
          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Hi Could also be a UJ on the prop shaft or maybe the prop-shaft has been removed and refitted and having been NOT marked before removal or I have noticed that there is a factory fitted balance weight on the prop-shaft maybe that has fell off ? Just a few ideas.

Andy.
            Attached Files
            I'd Rather Have A 4" Lift Than A 4" Extension !!!

Comment

A lot depends on your tyres, a good 31" All Terrain should not get extra vibs, but once you start fitting M/Ts all but the best will often vibrate a little, especially as they wear.

But check the bearings, wheels balencing, steering stabilser, etc and try swapping wheels around to see if it changes.
              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I know this might sound daft, but are you sure the body is firmly fixed to the chassis?
                Mike G

Comment

Thank you all. Food for thought

Will get checking.
                  2.4 TD manual 1992 SSR-X

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Savage
                    Dear all,

Any thoughts on the following - or is it par for the course for surfs and knobbly tyres?

Have noticed that I get a mild left to right shaking of the vehicle. More than a vibration, but not excessive. You especially notice it if passenger seat empty- as you can see out of the corner of your eye the seat moving side to side. Gets worse as speed increases - tops out at 70mph, then starts to reduce again.
                    No real feeling thro' steering wheel. Doesn't feel like wheel balance - have had that before and know what it feels like.

Any ideas?

Ta.
                    Sounds like just the problem I had, I didn't believe it was down to balancing either. However, when I took it to a tyre bay, they showed me several irregularities in the tyres, mainly around the circumference, not the tyrewalls. I had all four replaced (at a different garage), and now there's no shaking at all at any speed.
                    Hope this helps, it might not be your problem but it worked for me.

Comment

Working...
                    X