Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Wiltshire mechanics

Anyone on here from the Salisbury area?
    I am wondering if anyone knows or remember a couple of funny old blokes who ran one of those old fashioned independent garages in a tiny road just behind the Cathedral, Ayleswade road. As I lived in Salisbury years ago I used to go and take them some old heaps I used to drive (a hopeless alfa 33, an ancient mazda 323 and few others). They were a quirky pair, a bit Steptoe and son, a bit Wallace and Gromit, very different but complemented each other well. No job was too much hassle, not even the alfa used to faze them, they always had a solution. Since I was often fairly broke in them days they always let me off with massive discounts,never fussed about money: " don't worry lad, you pay when you've got the dosh...". I remember them with much affection. Sadly on a recent trip to UK I went to see them but the garage has been turned into some posh flat, the location was always sought after I suppose. They had a fair bit of work, often saw surfs in there and other 4x4s.People used to drop in for a chat and a cuppa, everyone was always welcome.
    Let me know if you know them, I'd like to know they're well and enjoying their retirement. Belated apologies for all the trouble with the alfa, that master/slave cylinder was a b*****d !
    Last edited by tashtego; 17 October 2013, 10:32.
Working...
X