The Unintentional Surf Owner...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Unintentional Surf Owner...

I didnt wake up with the intention of buying a Surf.

In fact, I didnt wake up with the intention of buying anything at all, except maybe my dinner later that day...

Long story short... my brother has a friend, the friend lives and works in Luxembourg but drives (or drove) a Hi Lux Surf which he bought in the UK before he moved.
    During a visit to the UK (to buy another car)he had a problem with the brakes (more of this later), and as he was replacing the Hi Lux with something else anyway it didnt really make sense to have it repaired, drive it back home, sell it (he already had a buyer lined up), and then come back to England for his new car...
    Hence the reason for the phone call asking me if I knew anyone who would be interested in a non UK registered Hi Lux Surf.
    I didnt, and considering it needed major repair to the brakes it wasnt very saleable anyway. So, the next obvious thing was to scrap it.

I'm a bit of a sucker for an underdog, and the tale of the sad little truck tugged on my heart strings, so I bought it for scrap value. Whether this was a sensible move or not remains to be seen...

I have to say, its a bit of a change from the stuff i'm used to. Im a VW guy through and through, so its a big change from anything i've ever owned...
    My plan was just to take it off the guys hands to help him out, then either break it or see if anyone came along that was interested in it to fix up.
    I drove it around the yard at work, and i was pretty much sold on it!
    Im not sure if this was the vehicle itself, or the fact that the day it arrived was the hottest day of the year, and the air-con is the coldest ive ever experienced but I made the decision to sell one of my "fleet" and keep the Surf...

So there it is... I'm the unintentional Surf owner, and i'm quite enjoying it.

I already own 3 cars, a VW T3 Multivan, a Mk2 16V Golf, and a 1980 Mk1 Scirocco. The first 2 are on the road, the Scirocco has been a loooong term project.... But one of them has to go, and it will have to be the Golf.

Much as I love it, the Surf has shown me the things it can do that the Golf just cant. Its like meeting a dirty rough lass in a club and preferring her to your gorgeous wife, but i'm going to let my heart rule my head.
    I know the Surf is carrying a few more kilos than my nimble slim "missus", and is probably going to be a little "high maintenance" to begin with... but hopefully i wont catch any nasty rashes

So... there it is, my "first post". I no doubt will have loads of questions... and there are a few bits and pieces i need too. I then have to find an insurer (out of my comfort zone as I know the best spots for VW insurance).

here are a few pics (if they work on here) of my "fleet". Although I realise the newest addition is probably the only one youre interested in

Golf:

Multivan:

Scirocco:

And the Surf:
Working...
X