Originally posted by J i m s t e r
View Post
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.
RIP Steve Jobs
Collapse
X
-
Absolutely what I was thinking. RIP Mr Jobs - you popularised some fantastic ideas & technology.
-
Jobs was good at saying "I invented that."
He didn't have one original idea at Apple though. Steve Wozniak and Jeff Raskin came up with the big ones, Jobs just took it over and bullied them out. Google Jeff Raskin.
RIP though, wouldn't wish a long illness on anyone.What I proposed was a computer that would be easy to use, mix text and graphics, and sell for about $1,000. Steve Jobs said that it was a crazy idea, that it would never sell, and we didn't want anything like it. He tried to shoot the project down.
Jobs took over. He simply came in and said, "I'm taking over Macintosh hardware; you can have software and publications." ... And then a few months later Jobs said, "I'm taking over software; you can have publications." So I said, "You can have publications too," and left. That was in May of 1982. He and Markkula said, "Please don't leave. Give us another month and we'll make you an offer you can't refuse." So I gave Apple a month; they made me an offer, and I refused.
After he took over, Jobs came up with the story about the Mac project being a "pirate operation." We weren't trying to keep the project away from Apple, as he later said; we had very good ties with the rest of Apple. We were trying to keep the project away from Jobs' meddling. For the first two years, Jobs wanted to kill the project because he didn't understand what it was really all about.
I was very much amused by the recent Newsweek article where he [Jobs] said, "I have a few good designs in me still." He never had any designs. He has not designed a single product. Woz (Steve Wozniak) designed the Apple II. Ken Rothmuller and others designed Lisa. My team and I designed the Macintosh. Wendell Sanders designed the Apple III. What did Jobs design? Nothing.
We have a whole valley full of people talking UNIX versus MS-DOS. What do you need any of that for? Just throw it all out; get rid of all that nonsense. Maybe you need it for computer scientists, but for people who want to get something done, no. Do you need an operating system? No.
Have you ever noticed that there are no Maytag user groups? Nobody needs a mutual support group to run a washing machine.
I hate mice. The mouse involves you in arm motions that slow you down. I didn't want it on the Macintosh, but Jobs insisted. In those days, what he said went, good idea or not.
It's absolutely ugly, but unfortunately quite true of the world today; the more money you make, the more people tend to listen to you. If you're not quoted in Fortune or Forbes or the Wall Street Journal, then nobody listens. If you say something that makes a lot of money, whether what you said is true or not, people listen.
Icons, windows, mice, big operating systems, huge programs, integrated packages.... I would like to remind the world that just because two things are on the same menu doesn't mean they taste good together.
- Jeff Raskin
Leave a comment:
-
Not many people have made such a global impact, and in such a useful way at that.
RIP Mr Jobs.
Leave a comment:
-
Shame to hear that - one of the fathers of modern IT. I do wonder where technology would be without the likes of him, Bill Gates etc.
History might one day portray them alongside people like Tesla, Edison etc.
Leave a comment:
-
I used to think you were OK, a bit strange, but OK. Now I admit I was wrong. You, Sir, are a fcuking idiot.
Leave a comment:
-
RIP Steve Jobs
Like him or not, the world has lost one if its great visionaries.Tags: None

Leave a comment: