yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RIP Steve Jobs

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • yoshie
    replied
    He was a control freak of epic proportions, however, this was at the core of his achievements and the organisation he built.

    I heard on Radio 4 this morning a sound bite being quoted

    "three apples that changed the world, Adam and Eves, Newton's and Jobs".

    Leave a comment:


  • flounderbout
    replied
    Originally posted by J i m s t e r View Post
    Ze Jormins, matey. Policies, mappings, encryption (none of which I need to do my job)... It's not my computer, it's work's. They just let me use it.
    In that case, whenever you get into work in the morning or after a break, just lean back and shut your eyes for 10 mins. If questioned, tell them that you are just booting up, and if it is good enough for your computer, then it must be good enough for you! See how fast they change it...

    Leave a comment:


  • J i m s t e r
    replied
    Originally posted by flounderbout View Post
    10 mins to boot up? You need a new computer buddy!
    Ze Jormins, matey. Policies, mappings, encryption (none of which I need to do my job)... It's not my computer, it's work's. They just let me use it.

    Leave a comment:


  • J i m s t e r
    replied
    Yes, some hammers are better made than others. That's not really what I was getting at with the hammer analogy, but I guess I'll just have to beg to differ about Jobs being a visionary.

    Raskin died of cancer too. 61.

    Leave a comment:


  • flounderbout
    replied
    Originally posted by J i m s t e r View Post
    My box at work now takes 10 minutes from power on before I can do any work. 20 years ago, it was good to go in less than 30 seconds.

    Progress?
    10 mins to boot up? You need a new computer buddy!

    Leave a comment:


  • Vultch
    replied
    quote from another site

    "Steve Jobs died of pancreatic cancer last night. It’s a dreadful, infuriating illness, one that neither money nor love can save you from. There are no smug remarks to make, no gleeful childish slights to break. The man was a revolution in computing, in life, and we all benefited from it. Whatever you thought of Apple, of the iPhone, of our sometimes inane coverage, it’s not important right now.

    This isn’t meant to be overly sincere or sycophantic, but when you lose somebody that made a difference, when you lose somebody to a vulgar and excruciating disease, take a little time. It’s important. We’re a consumer blog, absolutely, but our world, and yours, is altogether a less fun and interesting place for the death of Steve Jobs."

    Leave a comment:


  • TonyN
    replied
    Originally posted by J i m s t e r View Post
    For example, it does not benefit the owner of a hammer to know how much force was generated or accuracy of strike, in order for the tool to work. The addition of such "Features" does not make the hammer better than another. Especially when the hammer is unable to hammer nails until the latest software has been downloaded.
    Ah but it does it!! Use the Hammer every day, all day, I two brilliant hammers, and lots of shite ones.

    When I try to use the cheap ones for any lenght of time they are frustrating.

    One hammer is just absolutly perfect, weight, balence, comfort and the others just don't compare.

    I think Apple proved that people will pay for that little extra 'x factor' which most Apple products have IMHO.

    Leave a comment:


  • Guest's Avatar
    Guest replied
    His innovative spirit is in every single Apple product...gone but in no way forgotten I say.

    Leave a comment:


  • Vultch
    replied
    MS bail out was not quite that straight forward, MS were facing the US government on unfair practices on competition and buying into Apple got the US gov off their back.
    Apple needed the cash dure to yrs of incompetent management before Steve Jobs took over again

    Jobs was and engineer and a visionary, RIP to a genius who will be sadly missed.

    Leave a comment:


  • J i m s t e r
    replied
    MS had to bail apple out in the early 90s... they bought a share of the company, which was later sold on at profit.

    From Apple's 2003 SEC filing:

    "In August 1997, the Company and Microsoft Corporation (Microsoft) entered into patent cross license and technology agreements. In addition, Microsoft purchased 150,000 shares of Apple Series A nonvoting convertible preferred stock ("preferred stock") for $150 million. These shares were convertible by Microsoft after August 5, 2000, into shares of the Company's common stock at a conversion price of $8.25 per share. During 2000, 74,250 shares of preferred stock were converted to 9 million shares of the Company's common stock. During 2001, the remaining 75,750 preferred shares were converted into 9.2 million shares of the Company's common stock."
    Jobs putting them on the mp3 player and phone bandwagon is what turned it around completely. Good management but there were mp3 players and phones around before the apple product.

    I am not here to bash apple (I think their hardware is currently the best out there), but I'm not a fan of their software or how Jobs is credited for everything. I exchanged emails a few times with Jeff when I was studying and always found his views illuminating.

    His problem with personal computers boiled down to the fact that marketing were desperate to overcomplicate them with "Features" when they would be better thought of if they did a job quickly and simply. For example, it does not benefit the owner of a hammer to know how much force was generated or accuracy of strike, in order for the tool to work. The addition of such "Features" does not make the hammer better than another. Especially when the hammer is unable to hammer nails until the latest software has been downloaded.

    Yet people accept these things with personal computers. My box at work now takes 10 minutes from power on before I can do any work. 20 years ago, it was good to go in less than 30 seconds.

    Progress?

    Leave a comment:


  • Sancho
    replied
    I'm Steve Jobs and Windows 7 was my idea....

    RIP to the only man who would fight Microsoft and ended up making stuff better.

    I'm not going to use this thread to start ranting about current Apple products...

    Leave a comment:


  • Albannach
    replied
    Originally posted by Apache View Post
    Shame to hear that - one of the fathers of modern IT. I do wonder where technology would be without the likes of him, Bill Gates etc.

    History might one day portray them alongside people like Tesla, Edison etc.
    It would be in the hands of IBM, perish the thought!

    I do think Gates, Jobs and Woz do deserve a prominent place in history; I too hope they get it.

    Leave a comment:


  • flounderbout
    replied
    The extent to which he was personally responsible for innovations within Apple seems to be to be pretty much beside the point. Whatever you think of Macs and iStuff, he led a company that was responsible for a revolution in design and marketing which was extraordinary - the brand loyalty (many would say wholly unjustified) that he managed to engender in Apple was genius. And his company has without question driven the marketplace to new heights.
    There aren't many people that will leave behind a corporate legacy like his.
    RIP.

    Leave a comment:


  • Albannach
    replied
    Originally posted by J i m s t e r View Post

    He didn't have one original idea at Apple though.
    I'd argue that particular point (I spent a year studying Apple MS and IBM) but I won't. Just because he didn't design something, doesn't mean he didn't have the idea.

    Leave a comment:


  • Jinja
    replied
    RIP to a true innovator....

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X