The Man From The DVLA - He says YES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Man From The DVLA - He says YES

I have just managed to get the 3rd gen surf changed from "4x4 light utility vehicle" to "Estate".
    In the end it was quite easy.
    Here's the story.

Step 1. I sent my V5 form in the post to the DVLA with the section filled in asking to change from "4x4 light utility vehicle" to "Estate".
    Step 2. I received a letter in the post today (several weeks later) asking me to explain what changes I have made to the car to warrant the change – but, the letter included a phone number.
    Step 3. I called the DVLA and spoke to a very nice (but bit confused lady) who eventually spoke to her boss who agreed to change it to Estate.

I can offer a few pieces of advice when speaking to the DVLA.

Do not say "4x4 light utility vehicle" instead, say that you want it changed from a "Utility Vehicle" to an Estate. The DVLA lady seemed to get caught on the 4x4 part of the description (because it is a 4x4) until I started using the phrase utility vehicle – then she saw the problem.

I made a point of not using the word HiLux, as in the UK this generally means Pick Up.

She said I'd need proof from Toyota, but stopped that line of discussion when I said that Toyota UK do not acknowledge the car exists because they don't sell it here.

I did try to explain that most other surfs were registered as Estates, but this didn't seem to work. On reflection I think she may have assumed that different styles of surf were estates but my style wasn't (like Land Rovers have different body types.).

The final piece of the puzzle that seemed to do the trick was to say that the surf is the same style as a Volvo XC90 or Freelander.
    Once she (and her boss) understood the style of car they changed it to estate.

As it happens, all of this info was in the covering letter I sent with my V5. I can only assume they didn't actually read it.
    I would love to give you the name and number of the woman I spoke to so that she can help out everyone else.
    But she asked me not to. Each application must be dealt with on an individual basis.

Sorry – I didn't mean to make a second post on this subject when there was still one active.
    But when I looked for the other post it was a dead thread – it just looks like someone resurrected it as I was typing this one.
    Last edited by Mork; 7 July 2011, 13:39.
Working...
X