17 inch TOYO tyres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 17 inch TOYO tyres

Hi All, i seem to have a major problem with my tyres. I have a 3rd gen fitted with 17 inch alloys and 285/60/17 Toyo proxes st tyres. I changed the original jap tyres for the Toyos around 18 months ago and have been well happy with them. This weekend i find a slow puncture,near the sidewall !! Damn! new tyre i supose. I went to pro tyre and as normal too near sidewall to fix,so new tyre. After much ringing round by protyre including Toyo themselves, none in stock. Can put on back order but can give no date of arrival. Tried camskill ,no stock. To be fair protyre fixed the puncture for free as a temp measure. The spare is a 16 inch standard wheel + tyre. Any suggestions help welcome. Thanks
    Last edited by gpz1100; 8 March 2010, 21:13.

Buy two new 17" tyres and 17" rim off ebay or one of the breakers here. Then put the new tyres on as a pair and put the remaining Toyo on the new rim so you've got a spare that matches.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
      Buy two new 17" tyres and 17" rim off ebay or one of the breakers here. Then put the new tyres on as a pair and put the remaining Toyo on the new rim so you've got a spare that matches.
      Yeah, what he said.

Thanks,

Ray.
      I've got a plan and it's as hot as my pants!

Comment

Thanks , I had thought of that but now find that not only are Toyo's out of stock in the uk, so are Khumo!! Now got a Surf with 3 decent tyres. After much searching and ringing round no one has any 285/60/17 tyres in stock of any brand!!! Tried E-Bay only tyre in that size is a Pirelli Zero with only 4mm of tread.
        As a last resort can anyone tell me what other size tyres i can fit. I can easily get 285/70/17 but am not sure if they will rub or clear the arches etc. It would mean having to cough up for 4 tyres but hey s__t happens!!

Comment

Didn't realise you could fit a 17" tyre on a 16" wheel, can you go up 1" on all wheel and tyre combo's then i.e 17" wheel - 18" tyre etc etc no matter what type of tyre?
          Not looking at doing it, just curious is all.
          Neal

Comment

Originally posted by Shalershasker View Post
            Didn't realise you could fit a 17" tyre on a 16" wheel, can you go up 1" on all wheel and tyre combo's then i.e 17" wheel - 18" tyre etc etc no matter what type of tyre?
            Not looking at doing it, just curious is all.
            Serious?

You cant fit a 17" tyre on a 16" rim, or a 18" tyre on a 17" rim. FULL STOP.

The wheel would rattle about in the tyre worse than a dwarf in a prostitute!

Im not even going to say it would be dangerous to try, because you just couldnt get the tyre to stay anywhere near the rim, never mind inflate it!

Comment

What are you lot on about ? Of course you cant put a 17" tyre on a 16" rim, but then again I dont see where this was suggested or mentioned , so cant figure out why it became an issue.

Bogus
              Сви можемо

Comment

Originally posted by blakarm View Post
                Serious?

You cant fit a 17" tyre on a 16" rim, or a 18" tyre on a 17" rim. FULL STOP.

The wheel would rattle about in the tyre worse than a dwarf in a prostitute!

Im not even going to say it would be dangerous to try, because you just couldnt get the tyre to stay anywhere near the rim, never mind inflate it!
                No mate, not serious at all . Forgot to put my joking smilie in at the end.
                Am however unsure why the spare would be a 16", personally would have spent the extra and had all 5 in 17"'s if I was going to change to that.
                Last edited by Shalershasker; 9 March 2010, 11:36.
                Neal

Comment

Originally posted by Shalershasker View Post
                  No mate, not serious at all . Forgot to put my joking smilie in at the end.
                  Am however unsure why the spare would be a 16", personally would have spent the extra and had all 5 in 17"'s if I was going to change to that.

Plods not gona be happy when you get a flat, and start mixing wheel and tyre sizes, thats for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by blakarm View Post

Plods not gona be happy when you get a flat, and start mixing wheel and tyre sizes, thats for sure.
                    Your not wrong there, an old work mate of mine was pulled for that, they were'nt happy apparently, he was only pulled initially because they see his rear side light blow while they were behind.
                    Neal

Comment

I Know, i should have got a 17inch alloy and tyre for the spare!! The 17inch alloys were on the surf when imported and i have looked around for a matching wheel with no joy. The 285/60/17 set up are i understand almost the same diameter as the standard tyre,bigger wheel but lower profile tyre(if you can F-----G get one!!) As for PC Plod i'll tell him it a space saving spare.

If any of the tyre experts can suggest an alternative size i would be well gratefull . I spoke to Bridgestone today who had listed this size. They said that they now had discontinued this size in the EU.I can find plenty of 285/70/17 and 285/75/17 but to be honest i'm no expert on the different profile sizes by any means. All sugestions welcome.

Comment

Working...
                      X