No announcement yet.

For parts or restoration: Gen2 2.4TD SSR-X, valve collision, whole car going

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For parts or restoration: Gen2 2.4TD SSR-X, valve collision, whole car going

Hi all,

We've accepted the inevitable and have had to say that the Black Beast has had its day. The engine's suffered a catastrophic valve collision and it's not worth the cost or risk replacing the engine with a remanufactured one. In light of this, I'm going to sell the truck for parts. Anything left will be scrapped.

Overall, the truck was in fair to good condition. A couple of months ago it was in a frontal collision, which has dented in the front passenger wing and bumper, and is quite noticeable around the passenger sidelight, which can no longer be secured to the body. Still drove fine.

The rest of the body is in good condition, with the expected rust on the chrome parts (only at the rear). Everything works apart from the obvious.

Engine-wise, I can only say it's knackered. I haven't had the opportunity to find out what happened, but a valve collision seems to be the diagnosis. There's no compression, so it seems to be all 8 valves. There are some good bits though - the diesel injection pump was changed this summer and does not leak or anything. There's a good radiator, starter and two nearly-new batteries (replaced 1st May). All transmission aspects are good, working 4WD and front diff. Gearbox has a small fluid leak from the input shaft, probably fixable if the gearbox is removed, but it's never been a bother, shifts very smoothly even when towing. Towbar and electrics are also available.

All five original alloy wheels are available, with excellent tyres all round (replaced this year). SSR-X so it has the tailgate wheel carrier.

We're in Kent, very close to Brands Hatch racing circuit. My preference would be for people to come down and take the parts they want, though posting/delivering some of the smaller/easier to remove parts may be do-able. Since the truck is sitting on our driveway, I'd like to sell the parts in ascending order of what keeps the thing standing, i.e. interior/non-structural first, wheels last! Anything that receives no interest will be scrapped.

Selling separately, we have a half-roof-length roof-rack that was the car's major selling point. Due to its rarity and usefulness, there won't be much negotiation on price for this.

The truck itself, prices are negotiable. I'd like to try and get £1,000 for the lot.

I'd also be very happy to sell the entire truck at once if someone would like to restore the engine. It has about 220,000K (can't say for sure, odometer became disconnected a few months ago and it's made some long journeys since then, says 208,000K) and I've done my best to keep it running well. This year, I replaced the timing belt and water pump.

So yeah, as of this moment, it's a complete truck. Photos will be up hopefully by the end of the week. If you're after something, just ask and we can negotiate a price. My mum would like the truck gone by the end of the year.
    An unmuddy off-roader is an unloved off-roader!
Working...
X