kzn130 3.0 running on starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kzn130 3.0 running on starter

Hi all, thanks for accepting me on this forum.

I'm having a starting problem with my kzn130 1kzte surf. I can turn it over and it will run on the starter, but will send out massive plumes of black/brown smoke. It will rev higher and higher when the starter is kept on which leads me to think it is over fueling. It dies when the starter is turned off (ie key turns to ON position).

I have put in a replacement ECU and it didn't help. It is running low on diesel on the gauge but my thoughts are that getting diesel to the motor isn't the issue.

Any help or advice would be appreciate. Cheers

Simple fix. Change the filter head. Go to a scrappy .i pulled one off a big nissan cost £10.

Comment

It's been a while but I'm still having issues and it has gotten worse. I can now no longer fire it up. I have since done the following:

Replaced filter and filter primer, tried 3 Spill Valves, tried 3 ECUs with the latest one having been checked over professionally twice, all wiring has been checked between ECU, Spill Valve Relay, Spill Valve and there are no breaks, replaced the loom from the engine bay to fuel pump, checked all fuel system sensors, and replaced fuel pump. I can earth the RB wire from the spill valve and it will run but it will over fuel and run terribly plus make a loud knocking sound.

I can disconnect the diesel feed to the injectors and no diesel comes out when the engine is turning over normally. BUT when I spray some engine start down the intake, the engine half fires and splutters and diesel briefly comes out of the lines.

I don't know what else to try or test - any help would be appreciated!

Comment

Have you reconditioned the injectors? If you haven't, that's where I'd go next. Don't try or test them; either recondition or replace them.
        Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

I have it now fixed!

I took it to a mechanic who found it was getting duty cycle for only 10 seconds on cold start up then it would drop and would not come back unless it was left to sit overnight. Voltage to the ECU was checked and it turns out when cranking there was a voltage drop from 12v to about 6v.

The culprit was found to be the earthing bolt on the back of the cylinder head. It didn't feel loose or look too bad, but when cranking and the motor torquing it was enough to pull the connection away slightly. It was taken out to be cleaned and shortened slightly to fit tighter. This fixed the problem and now the truck fires and runs every time.

Comment

Working...
          X