Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The forum lives on (no longer closing)

All.

Having discussed things with Koi, and due to the fact that traffic levels have now reduced to a pretty low level on here due to most activity having moved to the Facebook Hilux Surf group we have made the reluctant decision to close down the Forum at the end of the month. This Forum has been running successfully for the last 13 years but the current level of activity doesn't really justify the cost of the hosting which gets more expensive every year. Thanks to everyone for their input over the years, it's you the users who have made this site successful. May see you on the street and all the best to everyone.

Cheers
    Lucky and Koi.
    Thanks
    Rob Watson (forum owner and admin)

Sad News.

I'm surprised that cost is a factor?

If bandwidth usage is low, surely el cheapo hosting is viable, which assuming there are just a couple of paid members that is covered?

It seems like a lot of valuable in formation to lose!
    More Lift.
    More Tyres.
    More Engine.

Comment

shame to hear as i have not long joined and its valuble info and sad to hear its closing down due to facebook,(not the first forum to suffer from that crap)
      maybe an annual subscription would help keep it going,i wouldnt have a problem with that,

Comment

That is really bad new's, this is the only forum I have stuck with, I do visit other's mainly model making but those are suffering as well, I did join faceboot but for model making only, it's not the same though, I can see the reasoning behind it, sad all the same
        Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

As with popeye, its the only forum ive stuck with and this is disappointing, although I suppose you are only putting down something that was dying anyway.
          Сви можемо

Comment

Sad to hear as this forum still seems reasonably active compared to others I've used, But I can't say I'm surprised as like you've all said everyone seems to prefer Facebook I don't know why as it's not like you can browse anything unlike a forum.
            So does that mean that all the info on here will be wiped from the web? Or will all the old threads still be available to view?

Comment

Such a shame I always come back when I need vital info

Comment

Its a real shame I have had a lot of help from people on here will be sad to see it go!
                Old enough to know better but then again.....

Comment

Gutted, anything we can all do to save the old girl?

Owen

Comment

Total shame, I have also had loads of help and I enjoyed some of the banter too. I am definitely in debit with the forum and I would be very happy to pay a subscription if that helped it to survive.
                    I wish people would leave Facebook to the audience it was designed for: women and teenagers.
                    The website format is so much easier to use, in comparison.
                    I really hope there is a way to save all the info on here, so that it can still be available.

Comment

Originally posted by tashtego View Post
                      Total shame, I have also had loads of help and I enjoyed some of the banter too. I am definitely in debit with the forum and I would be very happy to pay a subscription if that helped it to survive.
                      I wish people would leave Facebook to the audience it was designed for: women and teenagers.
                      The website format is so much easier to use, in comparison.
                      I really hope there is a way to save all the info on here, so that it can still be available.
                      I wholeheartedly concur!
                      Old enough to know better but then again.....

Comment

Isn' t there some way of archiving the posts? So much good info will be lost... like tears in the rain.

Surely there are cheaper options??
                        Surf if you got a wave. Wave if you got a Surf.™

Comment

Sad times

I wonder if we could all pile over to http://www.toyota-4runner.org/uk/ and colonise there?

If there are particular thread/pages that people want to save for posterity, you can get https://archive.org/web/ to save a copy.
                          https://galooph.com

Comment

Just thinking out loud, I host static html sites on gitlab.com pages, which have a 10G limit per repo, I think.

Happy to try wget-ing the site to convert it to static files and setting it up on gitlab. What do the admins think?
                            https://galooph.com

Comment

Having just stumbled across this thread I am gutted, shocked n sad as are others.
                              Unfortunately it's all about money these days n it all costs.
                              As others have said a regular yearly fee may be a fix but since my semi- retirement / disability took a bad turn some 4 years ago (I must confess) I have failed to pay my subs but tried to make up for this making contributions & help for those up n coming Forum members requiring information.
                              If ever there was a rescue or reprieve my Surf is going nowhere so I pledge to make the yearly contributions as long as my Truck survives, I'd like to think so would the Forum Amen

16+ Years of Surfs n 9 years on Spotless it ain't but Faultless to a "T" is my KZN 130 Yota !!
                              Buncefield Burner

Comment

Working...
                              X