MPG V tyre choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MPG V tyre choice

First of all hello, this is a great site and I have enjoyed gaining all the info so far.
    Just to add a different view on the old MPG debate, I have 31 x 10.5 r15 mud terrain Bridgestone's on my 93 30lttd auto. I live in a fairly flat part of Norfolk and drive like a granny with a hot cup of tea on my lap. I have a best of 23.6 mpg and a worst of 22.1 mpg.

I have tried keeping revs below 2500 and I did get the best figure doing this, but the tractors were out accelerating me.

So, my question is this , can I improve my MPG with a change of tread to something with a little less grunt.

My previous car was a '94 Nissan Patrol SWB 4.2 diesel manual. That had 31x 11.5 r15 Bridgestone AT's, weighed 250kg more than the surf and has the aerodynamics of parachute. I had a best of 29.9 and the poorest was 25.2, pulling a full 3.5 tons, that's 5 and three quarter tons all in.

So all you high 20's and 30 plus folks, what tyres are you running?

Cheers
    Steve.
    Last edited by Catfisher; 5 December 2005, 22:05.

The big tread blocks on M/T's aren't very aerodynamic, they create a lot of drag, as well as not rolling as smoothly as lesser treads. A/T's or even road tyres generally get slightly better MPG, but you need to weigh up if you need the M/T's or not.

We run A/T's on Linda's truck, and M/T's (or gnarlier on my 4Runner).

A 4.2lt motor should generally be more efficiant than a 3.0lt motor in a similar car driving the same.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
    X