Karma Supra's HiLex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Updates!!

It's been over three years now, largely it has been 100% flawless. I'm in the "refining stage" now.
    • I had a very small intermittent start up problem right at the beginning which was due to tank residue on the fuel pump connector (the diesel tanks are pre wired for a petrol fuel pump, but as there was no plug on the pin, the metal was tarnished and increased resistance. It ran fine once once started, but the Walbro pumps draw a fair bit on spin up, and it sometimes didn't, usually did on the second or third attempt). replacement plug and its been perfect since!
    • I have struggled with the silicone hoses sealing. It's a common issue as silicone natively doesn't seal as well as rubber, and the shape of my radiator feed hose means its made of lots of connections and angles (its awkward due to the front intake of the VVTi)
    • The air con pump failed!

All in all I think that's not bad. I'm kicking myself for the dirty fuel pump contacts as that's the only one that might be considered as a "failure" i.e. it meant the thing didn't start.

Coolant hoses:

The connectors sucked. Smooth alloy swaged at each end. they were supplied by the same supplier as the hose (quality not great I'd say) so I replaced them with some machined, ridged ones. These will hopefully deform the inner part of the hose for a better seal without needing any extra sealant, and stop things sliding under pressure. I also replaced the non branded Ebay hose clamps with proper Mikalor stainless ones. These seem to provide a more even clamping pressure (even though the design looks almost identical) and are sturdier so I can seriously tighten them up!

All hose parts were cleaned, one part was replaced as it had expanded against the radiator and worn slightly (due to connector slide).

This has helped, but I still get the odd drip, its absolutely fine under pressure. I have contacted a couple of suppliers about getting a custom silicone hose made up, to save on failure points/connections/mess/ballache to install. I had originally used Hylomar Blue to help sealing on the "smooth" connectors, it helped sealing, but meant that the hoses slid out under pressure. I'm loathed to use silicone sealant as that just seams a bit of a bodge. Another option I might investigate is welded alloy tube, or replicate the same thing with rubber angles that will seal better. It's messy I don't like this bit. While I'm at it if I can get custom tubes done, I'd also like to replace the intake piping to get rid of the extra clamps and sections.

I also want to look at fabbing up an aluminium (probably) fan shroud so I can make a neater job and not fix the fan via the radiator matrix. its worked find but its another detail I don't like. If I had a fan shroud I could also make securing brackets for the hoses.

I believe the reason that the AC pump failed was due to running excessively high pressure when stationary. From factory my truck never had a condenser fan (did any 3rd gens?). With the viscous fan and shroud being removed, that constant slight draw over the condenser was seemingly enough to keep the pressures down. I turned the electric rad fan thermostat right down so it was pretty on when the truck was warm and this helped the AC system pressure drop, but I don't think it was enough, I also suspect that there was too much oil in the gas, which also increases pressure.

I have a "new" (second hand) LS400 compressor, and brand new condenser, expansion valve, receiver dryer and all seals. As the old pump failed I want to totally flush out the system to make sure its 100% contaminant free, renew the seals, so it should all be good for another 20+ years. I have also got a three way sensor (Thanks Bushwacker) so I can control condenser fans intelligently when they are needed, instead of just having them, on when the AC is on. for fans I have two 8" electric units, so pressure build up doe to heat should never be an issue again! This is going to be a big job as it is dash out to clean through the evaporator, and fit the new expansion valve..

While I'm "here" mucking around with condensers and radiators, I also have two oil coolers to fit, one for transmission and one for engine oil on an external oilstat. The gearbox does slip and gets hot.. I have shimmed the shift accumulators to make the change crisper, and generate less heat but additional cooling will be beneficial.

Oil Stat.

I am replacing the factory Lexus oil take off with a direct take off created by out very own Scott.. Thanks buddy!

It is a similar design to this, but engineered to far more OCD levels

I'm also toying with the idea of moving the oil filter to below the engine. It caused no problems where it is, but that would free up some extra space, and mean I don't get oil all over the inner wing whenever I change it (no matter how careful I am)
    More Lift.
    More Tyres.
    More Engine.

Comment

I have also been working on the rear..

The idea of drum brakes always annoyed me, especially with the Front Tundra setup. I'd mentioned before fitting a Landcruiser Colorado rear axle, benefitting rear disks and an E locker. I decided that although an E lockers is nice off road, a decent LSD would be better on road and off road than an open diff. My truck spends 99% of its life on road (it does still venture off on occasion!) and I have big issues with wheelspin pulling out of junctions so I opted for a Detroit trutrac..

As I decided I needed a non E locker, I looked for an import Landcruiser Prado axle, as the E locker was an option, so I could replace the open diff internals with the truetrac. Obviously the Landcruiser axle "might have been a different ratio" so I decided to regear too.... which naturally led to the front diff being opened... so I decided that should get a truetrac too!

With my existing mapping, the stock surf gearbox, on stock surf 4.30 gearing and 285/75/16s meant I was shifting into second at 50 mph at the redline, I originally decided I wanted 4.65s, but the company was out or stock so I went 4.88s. All ordered from the amusingly named "Randy's Ring and Pinion" supplier in the states.

I used Front and rear "Yukon" gearsets, USA standard rebuild kits (all Koyo bearings as factory) and OEM Toyota seals.

Naturally, as the axle was coming off, I'd seen shiny things on Ebay, so bought some adjustable rear arms too.

On cleaning off the axle, it was quite corroded, the rear upper link brackets are a known failure point on these, and the drain plug had been blocked and water had sat in it for years. As I have been told that I pick the front left wheel up when gunning it, I didn't want to risk that sort of load on something that might fail, so had a made five minutes and bought a brand new OEM axle housing from Milners (£500 delivered, which I thought was worth it for peace of mind)

I removed the front diff, and removed my diff carrier from the surf axle (its all a direct swap) as it was less corroded, and took them off to "UK Axles" in High Wycomb. Greats guys that did good job of refurbing the diffs with new parts for a fair price. (Nope I didn't want to mess around with settings pinion spacing, pre loading etc etc myself, plus works has been silly and I never have time!)

In the mean time I dropped the rear axles assemblies off to Tony N, who has a press set up for removing the rear wheel bearings. The old ones were fine, but while it's apart I like EVERYTHING NEW. Thanks Tony! (keeper of the old diesel that came out!)

I got them back and started painting things.

I used POR15 to cover the diffs, (and even the brand new axle casing) as its hard as nails and provides excellent corrosion protection.

It's so nice working with new parts

I also gave the front drive shafts some TLC. (inner high angle CV boots from the US, outer Poly ones from Milners)

Close up of the calipers. love the Goodrich colour coded lines!

Last but not least I had to remove some material from the upper arms, and Scott very kindly machined me some new misalignment spacers that were actually the right size for the adjustable arms. Then POR15 to match!

All fitted.

And back together. (Cat still keeping an eye on things!)

More Lift.
      More Tyres.
      More Engine.

Comment

Another Update..

As my other half's brother's neighbour decided to blast out the fuel tank in his kit car, covering the side of my truck with some form of watery, petrol mis with some horrible fuel additive, I decided tog et it properly machine polished, (regular polishing wouldn't move it) one done it was also sealed with the Williams ceramic sealant, it also had a full inside valet with protection applied to that too.

All in all it looks like a top job, I can confidently say it has never looked so great!

Rear discs

Like a mirror!

The interior also came up well too, saying as its largely all original factory fitted stuff, apart from the replacement factory floor mats and LS400 steering wheel.

I love the factory fitted carbon trim.. much better than the "wood"

Not the top side looks shinier than the bottoms side again.

I think I need to take the body off and POR15 the entire frame next
        Last edited by Karma Supra; 12 April 2017, 12:49.
        More Lift.
        More Tyres.
        More Engine.

Comment

Wot no tow bar! guess you don't tow stuff about then?
          Old enough to know better but then again.....

Comment

Amazing as always

Comment

oww.
              i got a mention.......yay!

Comment

Droooooooool. Looks awesome Charlie.

Comment

spot on very good! looks amazing too clean for a toyota surf!
                  http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=55797

Comment

Working...
                  X