No announcement yet.

Folding wing mirror upgrade? (3rd Gen)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Folding wing mirror upgrade? (3rd Gen)

Hi folks,

What roughly is involved in upgrading to power folding wing mirrors?

Would I just need to get myself a set of the mirrors, and all wiring is present in every 3rd Gen Surf?

Is there a separate button/control I'd also need, or again is it already present ?

Don't put too much effort in folks as I've yet to even purchase my Surf, but folding mirrors is an extra I'd like, so if I don't happen to get one with them I'd like to think its not a big deal as I can potentially upgrade in the future.

Thanks in advance

Rog

Never seen them but I would think they come with their own little relay, which would fold them in with ignition off and then out with ignition on. I'll see if I can find this relay or whatever in the EPC.

Nev

Comment

Cheers for the reply Nev, what's the EPC?

There's a pair come up for sale fairly locally, although I've yet to get my surf, you don't often see them advertised with the folding mirrors so figured its worth getting them now and even if I'm lucky enough to get folding mirrors on the Surf when I buy it, I'll have a spare replacement set

Thanks again

Rog

Comment

I think mine has it as standard.

Comment

Originally posted by Surf01 View Post
          I think mine has it as standard.
          So does mine, but they dont fold with the ignition, they have to be switched, Theres a switch on the armrest beside the one which adjusts mirror angle and selects which mirror it is that you need to reposition.

So, assuming the wiring is already there in the loom, you'd need the mirrors,and the armrest switch panel as a minimum.
          Сви можемо

Comment

OK, cheers guys, so its not out of the question then, just need to make sure I get everything I need, assuming I'm not lucky enough to get a Surf with the folding mirrors

Thanks again

Rog

Comment

TonyN is breaking a 3rd Gen that has Electronic folders by the look of it.

they are reletively hard to find second hand I was searching for ages for a passenger side one for mine, in teh end just bought a new one from Toyota.
              More Lift.
              More Tyres.
              More Engine.

Comment

Evening folks,

I've managed to snag the folding mirrors from Tony, so will be looking to fit them when they turn up, once I've painted them.

Another idea I've come up with that I'm keen to implement, would be to wire the mirrors up with the alarm. So when I lock the car up, the mirrors automatically fold in, and when unlocking they fold out. I'm by no means an electrician, so this might be a bridge too far?

Thanks in advance

Rog

Comment

Well I've got myself a set of power folding mirrors from a newer Surf, I've removed the drivers side door card, removed my existing mirror, only to discover that my electrical connector is a different type, probably due to the extra trickery to power the motor to retract the mirrors.

Anyone done a similar upgrade and got some input please?

Or any of you electrical gurus got any ideas? I'll go an take some pics whilst its all apart and post them up, might give you guys something to go on...

Thanks in advance

Rog

Comment

Left is the connector for the power folding mirrors, right is standard mirror.

Comment

Let me have a look the rest of the door loom, you might just need some more wiring, but if its all part of the main loom you might just need to wire the extra connections on the mirror directly to the extra connections on the new switch, or just a switch you fit yourself to just fold them in and old.
                      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Cheers Tony, really appreciate your help.

Rog

Comment

mine had these as standard and, certainly on a wider truck and some of our narrow roads, theya re really useful.

Odd really in that the surf (a more utility based truck) had them (mine was an SSR-G) and yet the RR vogue (top of range luxury 4x4) doesn't even have them as an option

hey ho
                          I'm not overweight, I'm undertall!

Comment

folding mirrors

The folding mirrors are standard only on the ssr-g models, i been searching for ages for a complete drivers side one as a new one is £250!!
                            anyone who knows of one for sale please let me know

cheers

Comment

Handy thread this! Just picked up the looms and armrest switch. However does anyone have the LH/RH oem part no's. for the retractable/folding mirrors?

Comment

Working...
                              X