rover v8 ECU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rover v8 ECU

don't spose anyone's got a ECU for a 3.5 v8 (flapper ignition) laying about do they?
    =========
    =SOLD UP!=
    =========

Originally posted by nero279 View Post
    don't spose anyone's got a ECU for a 3.5 v8 (flapper ignition) laying about do they?
    flapper ignition? not hot wire then.
    www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by surfenstein View Post
      flapper ignition? not hot wire then.
      So i've been told - i think it's one of the last flapper one's before the hotwire stuff came in
      =========
      =SOLD UP!=
      =========

Comment

So i've been told - i think it's one of the last flapper one's before the hotwire stuff came in
        ok just making sure. the flapper ignition is quite an old setup.whats the prob anyways.???oh and no i dont have a flapper ecu sorry.
        www.overfab.uk

Comment

after the engine was rebuilt it was running ok but not at it's best - went through two sets of spark plugs within a few hundred miles so figured it was overfuelling as the plugs were just getting completely coked up. So we started tweaking the fuelling on it and thought it was running ok, took it to an offroad day in november and it was fine all day other than the normal v8 coughs and splutters within a hundred yards of water.

Some scrote then dropped some bits of tape and plastic down the fuel filler result - in tank pump starved and broke down. The pump was replaced with an inline pump as it just wouldn't build up fuel pressure after that so figured the staration must've killed the pump.

Ran ok with the new pump then on the way to an offroad day a month later it started playing up, stalled on the motorway was losing power and didn't like being at angles and so on this was put down to the pick up pipe in the tank being poorly positioned. But it was never quite right even after the pick up pipe was adjusted, it was still low on power but the occasional stalling continued aswell. Figured it just wanted setting up again for the different pump to cure the low power then sort the stalling as a separate issue.

Several people looked at it and had a go at setting up the fuelling who all should have been able to set it up to a reasonable level, but it just won't run right and no-one so far has been able to set it up, so we're trying to just eliminate ECU problems before paying someone to get it set up on a 4wd rolling road. ATM it will start and idle with the idle speed turned up a bit but won't drive at all and stalls after a few minutes if you drop the idle back down to normal.

We're not convinced the ECU is at fault but it might explain the problems everyone's had with trying to set it up, so just trying to eliminate it really.
          =========
          =SOLD UP!=
          =========

Comment

have you tried changing the fuel pressure regulator,try an adjustable rising rate regulator.this should sort it and when was the last time the injectors were looked at.
            www.overfab.uk

Comment

It has an adjustable regulator on it - think it's an FSE one but no idea about rising rate or anything that indepth don't have a clue about things like that meself really - i'm learning slowly

dunno about the injectors.
              =========
              =SOLD UP!=
              =========

Comment

It has an adjustable regulator on it - think it's an FSE one but no idea about rising rate or anything that indepth don't have a clue about things like that meself really - i'm learning slowly

dunno about the injectors.
                ok you still need to adjust it to the correct pressure,if the engine has done a lot of milage and judging by the type of ignition it has(flapper)im guessing its a high miler.it migh be worth removing the injectors and just checking the spray pattern.this can be done by placing the injector into a glass bottle and turning the engine over to check spray pattern and leakage.p.s make sure king lead is removed from coil.
                www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by surfenstein View Post
                  ok you still need to adjust it to the correct pressure,if the engine has done a lot of milage and judging by the type of ignition it has(flapper)im guessing its a high miler.it migh be worth removing the injectors and just checking the spray pattern.this can be done by placing the injector into a glass bottle and turning the engine over to check spray pattern and leakage.p.s make sure king lead is removed from coil.
                  yeah i think the regulator was set ok(ish) but starting to think too many different things have been adjusted and not cured it so been set back (or not as the case maybe) but never got quite back to the same settings. The rangie it came out of i'm sure only had around 70,000 on the clock then i think it may have been used in another rangie for a year or so then was dry stored for a couple of years before my mate had it rebuilt and put in his LR/RR hybrid which is where it is now.

didn't know you could check injectors like that, certainly sounds like it might be worth a shot to me
                  =========
                  =SOLD UP!=
                  =========

Comment

Working...
                  X