No announcement yet.

3 Point Seat Belt for Centre Rear Seat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 Point Seat Belt for Centre Rear Seat?

Anyone fitted a 3 point seat belt to the centre rear seat of 2nd Gen? 3rd child on the way!

I don't think you'll find this a simple proposition, as there is no anchor point available for the 3rd mounting.
    Normally a 3 point centre position belt will have the upper anchor point either in the roof, built into the seat back or on the floor behind the seat back.
    Its not practical to insert a mounting in the roof.
    The seat structure has not been designed to take the load of a belt mount, nor the loads that a floor mounted belt passing over the top of the seat could exert.

There are no doubt ways in which one could bodge a 3 point belt fitting, but personally I would not want the safety of any kids compromised in any way, so its either manage with the 2 pointer available or change vehicle eek!
    Maurice
    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Originally posted by paulc
      Anyone fitted a 3 point seat belt to the centre rear seat of 2nd Gen? 3rd child on the way!
      Sort of agreeing with Maurice - but who wants to get rid of their Surf? Eh??

Maybe bolt a four/five point rally style harness into the floor for the middle seat (bolt a thick strip of steel under the body - there's loads of room).
      Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

That's what I feared I think I might have to look at replacing the truck as I need to be able to have 3 child seats in the back .

Comment

That's what I feared I think I might have to look at replacing the truck as I need to be able to have 3 child seats in the back .

I've seen baby seats secured by the centre lap belt in the past.

Comment

Okay, I'm going to go back a little on my prior post

As I said it its always possible to bodge together anything, but I think I may have a solution that would be safe if executed properly although it would involve a element of compromise.

Firstly this work should only be carried out by a competent person with relevant mechanical and welding experience.
            Just behind the rear seat, level with the top, in the sidewalls, are mounting points for the rear load cover (these may be hidden behind the sidewalls if no load cover has been fitted). A mount could be made consisting of a length of 1" box tubing (thick wall, not furniture grade rubbish) sitting between two mounting plates and fixed to these roller mounting points.
            This would provide an upper mount point either for the seat belt roller mechanism or for the belt to pass over (with suitable anti-chafing guide).
            The compromise being that if you fold down the seats for extra cargo space you'll have a big bar dividing it it two. Of course it could be possible to go further and make the bar removable, but it would probably unnecessarily complicate such a project and possibly weaken the final product unless very well engineered.

Easier to look for a seat secured by the lap belt as Vince has said.....
            Maurice
            Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Thanks Morr. I think you're right it's a bit of compromise, I regulary have the seats folded down lugging scuba gear around and using the camper kit that came with the surf.

Comment

I think I've found the solution! Found this firm on Google - http://www.auto-safe.co.uk/main.htm

There's hope for the Surf yet - I just can't bear to get shot of it .

What do ya think?

Comment

I think I've found the solution! Found this firm on Google - http://www.auto-safe.co.uk/main.htm

There's hope for the Surf yet - I just can't bear to get shot of it .

What do ya think?
                  keep evrything crossed they can sort something out for you
                  https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Will do.

Comment

They've quote £148 for to supply and fit...I'll let you how it pans out.

Comment

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but did you ever get this done?

Comment

Working...
                        X