No announcement yet.

Surf Towing & Caravan Things

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You are allowed to tow 100% of your vehicle weight. but it has to be a braked trailer. also how old is dave & when did he pass his test, i think post 1997 you need to have a trailer towing test or equivilent
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
      You are allowed to tow 100% of your vehicle weight. but it has to be a braked trailer. also how old is dave & when did he pass his test, i think post 1997 you need to have a trailer towing test or equivilent
      yeah, that's right, B+E doesn't come as standard... dave doesn't have a licence, that's why i need to get both suzuki's on a trailer and tow them with the surf...
      if i add ballast to the surf, can i tow more?
      and how can a truck weighing 8 tonne pull a trailler weighing 35 tonne?.... it's all the mystery of the people at the MOT!
      nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by dabigman
        yeah, that's right, B+E doesn't come as standard... dave doesn't have a licence, that's why i need to get both suzuki's on a trailer and tow them with the surf...
        and how can a truck weighing 8 tonne pull a trailler weighing 35 tonne?.... it's all the mystery of the people at the MOT!
        The secret is to fill the tyres on the Suzis with helium or even better hydrogen Oh, and the trailer tyres
        It's only a hobby!

Comment

Ok guys ive been shopping i took my caravan in for its service today, while we where there we had a look at awnings theres is a WHISPER awning for £299 with a 2 year warranty, it comes with steel poles, pegs & curtains.
          a BARGAIN as other makes can top £1200 so if you havent got loads of cash
          get one of these. 2nd hand ones can be around £400 upwards, going back to yorkshire in 2 weeks as LANGDALE QUEST needs some SURF to even the scores out.
          (\__/)
          (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by dabigman
            If Davie has no licence why does he have 2 Suzi's ? 1 is fine , 2 is just greedy , how can he drive both ?

Rick
            Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
              If Davie has no licence why does he have 2 Suzi's ? 1 is fine , 2 is just greedy , how can he drive both ?

Rick
              play bumper cars!!
              one's a ford and one's a vitara... also got a rotrax, Kart, bike and boats... likes toys i guess!... keeps him out of mischief!
              nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

TOW BARS for 2nd gen surf are also available from roughtrax http://www.toyotahilux.com/index.php...5&category=224 for £115

Also hormygollop can get a better deal.
                The witter TY87A will fit your second gen, I supply those for forum members at £98 delivered to your door.. You can get cheaper from ebay but they are not type approved or made to witter standards.
                Cheers
                Keith
                Last edited by marky; 3 June 2004, 20:28.
                (\__/)
                (")_(")

Comment

Thinking of selling my old abbey gloucester and buying a twin axle.

I notice someone owns a swift conqueror (think It was Mart) I was looking at one of these and a few others with a MGW of approx 1600kg's, I was just wondering what they would tow like and does long steep hills trouble the 3.0 with a fully laden van approaching the max of the 'unofficial' 85% rule!

I would guess It doesn't but would appreciate some realistic comments.

Many thanks!
                  www.europa88.co.uk Loadsa mods!

Comment

if you are experienced at towing you can tow upto 100% percent weight. i own a 2.4 & it tows fine although on the really steep hills you feel like you want to jump out & help. but saying that i still pass cars on motorway hills like the M62 near Halifax that is one mother of a hill. i use ECT so the surf doesnt change gear too early
                    (\__/)
                    (")_(")

Comment

if you are experienced at towing you can tow upto 100% percent weight. i own a 2.4 & it tows fine although on the really steep hills you feel like you want to jump out & help. but saying that i still pass cars on motorway hills like the M62 near Halifax that is one mother of a hill. i use ECT so the surf doesnt change gear too early
                      Thanks Marky,

I'm gettin on a bit now and been towing since i was about 20 so I guess i'm ok to tow the heavy stuff! I'm planning on touring europe with a twin axle or some thing with a decent payload so any comments from members with larger vans are most welcome.

Iv'e been told twin axles are harder to manouvre than a single so I'm not fixed on the twin axle thing.

Comment

MALENIBO has a twin axle BAILEY the surf will move it easily cars have more problems as you will drag one tyre filled axle as there is more friction involved
                        (\__/)
                        (")_(")

Comment

MALENIBO has a twin axle BAILEY the surf will move it easily cars have more problems as you will drag one tyre filled axle as there is more friction involved
                          Yeah

Iv'e just out of interest been looking on his website,Its a cool site!! I reckon a team of his dogs could pull his caravan!
                          He's gonna have to update it soon though, I saw a a (ok I'm just gonna say it once) DISCO pulling the van on his pictures!
                          I mean that not on is it??

Comment

Neil,

We used to own an Abbey Spectrum (Twin axle) and had no problem towing with the old "Paj" we had. Took it across to europe and even into the Alps. That was a lot of fun holding up all the traffic.......the views were spectacular though!

Just bought a Magnum (single axle) with a fixed bed as our preference as we can't be bothered folding the bed away every day.....

But as Lisa and I both have leg problems, we decided to buy and have fitted a remote mover. Picking the van up next Thursday and travelling up to the Highlands for a fortnight, so hope the mover will be ok. (I can supply more details if you wish?) They do come with fittings to twin axles aswell.

Cheers

Gary
                            1996 SSR-G 3.0TD
                            1995 SSR-X 3.0TD Ltd

Comment

Originally posted by Garymt
                              Neil,

We used to own an Abbey Spectrum (Twin axle) and had no problem towing with the old "Paj" we had. Took it across to europe and even into the Alps. That was a lot of fun holding up all the traffic.......the views were spectacular though!

Just bought a Magnum (single axle) with a fixed bed as our preference as we can't be bothered folding the bed away every day.....

But as Lisa and I both have leg problems, we decided to buy and have fitted a remote mover. Picking the van up next Thursday and travelling up to the Highlands for a fortnight, so hope the mover will be ok. (I can supply more details if you wish?) They do come with fittings to twin axles aswell.

Cheers

Gary
                              Thanks Gary

I have a leg problem too and have just had a series of ops over the last 15 months (six to be precise) but on the mend and certainly will fit a mover if i go for a larger van!

Comment

Originally posted by europa88
                                Thanks Gary

I have a leg problem too and have just had a series of ops over the last 15 months (six to be precise) but on the mend and certainly will fit a mover if i go for a larger van!
                                Just bought a Swift conqueror twin axle with a MGW of 1500kgs so should be well within limits! mind you It is a gnats whisker under 25 foot long!

Has anyone experience of ferry costs to the continent with surf and large van?
                                When I motorhomed we just turned up in the commercial queue and It was cheaper (just)!

Comment

Working...
                                X