Oh Boy Two Car Batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wibblywobbly

You lucky swine, has anyone else got a heated seat? I have never heard those mentioned on here before. Where is the switch, maybe we have all got one!!

There are a couple of people on here who are running on various veggie/diesel mixes, I have no doubt that they will be along any second to extol the virtues. You could always try searching the forum? I do recall that the lower winter temperatures caused problems with the thicker oil, and clogging the filters, so if you have a diesel pre-heater then it seems like you have the best of all worlds.

Heated mirrors too?.....it gets worse....sob
    Cheers

Rob G
    I think it must be the middle switch in the centre console that has a picture in the Jap handbook of a seat about to catch alight. It must be that one 'cos when I asked before here no-one answered me, and also my brother asked if the Surf had heated seats cos his bum was on fire, personally I thought it was the after effects of last nights curry combined with a massive hangover but he said no, his bum was definately hot! I just took his word for it and kept me mouth shut till just now.
    ...Woodie http://woodie.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/D...%20Surfsml.JPG

Comment

Originally posted by wibblywobbly
      Just so that y'all know:

In Japan, there is a thing called 'Northern spec' for most makes of cars. This is not a factory option or anything but simply means cars sold in Northern area of Japan where snow and sub zero temperatures are common in the winter. In a way, it is like having a 'Scottish spec' if it is in UK. Those cars are generally equipped with larger batteries, thicker carpets, rear foglights and winter fighting gadgets such as this button here to keep the idling high to maintain the heatings. But the confusing thing is they also have a thing called, 'snow version' which is a factory option pack and can be specified during ordering to cars which are non Northern spec, or in other words cars sold in areas other than the Scotland equivalent of Japan, Hokkaido. In such cases, not all but certain features available to Northern spec can chosen. So any spec can be Northern spec if it was originally sold in Northern part of Japan. Equally, any spec can have snow version if it was originally sold in areas other than the north. Unfortunately, it is very difficult to find the info to compare the difference of Northern spec and ordinary ones.

It all seems a bit like offering add-ons for the sake of it to me, but I guess that we benefit because we ge to buy the vehicles fully loaded and don't have to pay for all of the toys?

Cheers

Rob G
      I guess this one will be Northern spec then!!
      Attached Files

Comment

My seat heater seems to be on a thermostat and goes off when the heater starts to blow warm. The mirrors come on with the heated rear window.
        It's only a hobby!

Comment

Are They?

Are they wired in parallel unswitched? (no relay etc??) because if they are when one of the batteries goes U/S (faulty) it will KILL the second one!!! end result 2 DEAD BATTERIES!!!!
          THE ORIGINAL CRAZY BITCH!

Comment

Originally posted by crazybitch
            Are they wired in parallel unswitched? (no relay etc??) because if they are when one of the batteries goes U/S (faulty) it will KILL the second one!!! end result 2 DEAD BATTERIES!!!!
            That's my worry Carol. I,m running Ham Radio gear in my truck that draws up to 30Amps from the battery and I am going to fit a relay, so that one bettery is disconnected when the ignition is off. A leasure battery might not go amiss either! Plenty of room where the spare wheel should be though!!
            It's only a hobby!

Comment

My Surf has 2 batteries, idle-up and the rear heater but no heated seats.
              Was originally from Nagoya, Aitchi District which is south west of Tokyo.
              Obviously optional extras but great for our winter
              Ian
              One day my paranoia will go away!

Comment

Originally posted by icsys
                You had the summer model with the deckchair & BBQ pack
                (\__/)
                (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by icsys
                  Interesting, mine had an 'Aitchi Toyota' sticker on the bumper when I got it. I thought Aitchi were just a nationwide dealership!! You learn something eveyday!
                  Pete

Comment

just how much of my hard earned cash can this piece of jap c**p take? a couple nights frost and it dont want to go without a jump! (Easy boys i know some of you cant get going without a jump on a cold morning either! Knew it was a male car! unreliable!!) Took it down to the local Auto Electrical shop, both batteries below par Gonna have to keep top up charging overnight till i save up AGAIN!

Soon have a complete new runner at this rate!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Originally Posted by crazybitch
                    THE ORIGINAL CRAZY BITCH!

Comment

Originally posted by crazybitch
                      just how much of my hard earned cash can this piece of jap c**p take? a couple nights frost and it dont want to go without a jump! (Easy boys i know some of you cant get going without a jump on a cold morning either! Knew it was a male car! unreliable!!) Took it down to the local Auto Electrical shop, both batteries below par Gonna have to keep top up charging overnight till i save up AGAIN!

Soon have a complete new runner at this rate!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Originally Posted by crazybitch
                      Yep they are wired in Parallel, and yes if one goes, the other one will go too. I'm keeping my batteries alive with Bat Aid at the moment, It's worked so far for 5 months. Starts first time on the key.

Cheers

Comment

geography

Hi

Am I being a bit dim and missing something?

How come the northern part of Japan is more likely to experience snow? The Northern part is closer to the equator and I would expect to be warmer than the south, which is closer to the South Pole.

I would have thought that being in the Southern hemisphere, the southern tip would have been colder than the north................no?

Actually I didn't really want to ask that - I was wondering if there is a definition of the option packs that are available. I have the rear footwell heater in my car, but (as far as I am aware) no heated seats or heated mirrors. Are there any descriptions?

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by robnw67
                          .........How come the northern part of Japan is more likely to experience snow? The Northern part is closer to the equator and I would expect to be warmer than the south, which is closer to the South Pole.

I would have thought that being in the Southern hemisphere, the southern tip would have been colder than the north................no?

OK, who moved Japan then? Own up, coz I'm sure it was in the northern hemisphere last time I looked
                          Maurice
                          Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Originally posted by Morr
                            OK, who moved Japan then? Own up, coz I'm sure it was in the northern hemisphere last time I looked
                            Absolutely and definately Japan is in the Northern Hemisphere.

Cheers

Comment

Definately dim

I seem to have taken one too many 'stupid' pills today. I'm not sure what's worse - thinking Japan was in the Southern Hemisphere or mistaking New Zealand for Japan - ooops.................

May I be excused?

Comment

Originally posted by robnw67
                                .........Actually I didn't really want to ask that - I was wondering if there is a definition of the option packs that are available. I have the rear footwell heater in my car, but (as far as I am aware) no heated seats or heated mirrors. Are there any descriptions?

Rob
                                I don't think you'll find any proper definition of option packs, as oft said here before, they seem to put in different options on every one and then throw a random badge at it

I've had a 2nd Gen SSR-X and currently have a 3rd Gen SSR-G, both had twin batteries and rear heater, but neither had (have) heated mirrors or seats....
                                Maurice
                                Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Working...
                                X