3rd Gen Landcruiser 90 rear axle. +4.88s +Truetracs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd Gen Landcruiser 90 rear axle. +4.88s +Truetracs

I thought I'd pop some pics up, I know it's been mentioned before, and I have mentioned doing it for a while, but I just fitted and Landcruiser Prado/Colorado rear axle to my 3rd gen.

I picked this up from Paul at Westcoast 4x4 up in the Liverpool direction.

The main advantage for me was the disk brakes, I specifically wanted a prado one as I prefer to run a decent LSD (Trutrac) instead of an E locker, for V8 wheelspin reasons.

Parts were all supplied by "Randy's Ring and pinion" (lol) in the states.

The axle itself is a direct swap, you can use the surf handbrake cable, and the surf master cylinder also works. I can't officially measure front rear brake bias, but in an emergency stop, the fronts lock up first.

As I was there anyway, I regeared to 4.88s and fitted a Trutrac to the front too.

I knew the front had a tooth missing last time I changed the oil... this time on draining it there was that familiar clunk..

Yup that was overdue changing.

Front and rear Diffs back from UKAxles in High Wycomb. Great guys, nice to deal with, and did a top job.

The rear axle casing had a fair bit more corrosion that I wanted, so I got a new casing from Milners.. Lovely and shiny and clean... However I decided I wanted the more durable finisk of POR15, so I rubbed it down and painted it.

POR15 EVERYTHING!

Rear wheel bearings were replace with new Toyota ones, Thanks TonyN for the swift turnaround! then painted... obviously.

Close up of the rear carrier. Yukon gears and Truetrac diff unit.

Makes a change working with new parts!

I tarted up the front driveshafts too... the inner CV boots are Allpro off road high angles ones (states order now 4 years old at over 3" lift and still good!) the outer ones are Milners polyurethane.

Landcruiser handbrake all rebuilt with new parts. Roughtrax shoe fitting kit, Pagid shoes... Masking tape to prevent oil contamination.

Calipers rebuilt and painted (never use halfords caliper paint.. its rubbish!) I couldn't resist the colour coded Goodridge stainless brake lines! (I have a surf set in silver spare now...)

Ready to go on.

I also acquired a set of adjustable rear arms from the states. they weren't the best fit so I changed the thickness on the uppers, and our very own Scott sorted me out some spacers for the Heim joints and correct sized bush inserts. I was concerned about ride quality and road harshness on these, but in all honesty I can't tell the difference,

Railway sleepers!

Hmm rear disks.

Rear calipers now match the front (I have Tundra ones there )

All fresh and shiny!

The overall effect.

The brakes are a huge huge improvement over the drums... plus its just another mod I had on my list.. that looks pretty much factory.

Of course you could just bung the landcruiser axle straight on (as long as the ratios match) but that's not how I like to do things!
    Last edited by Karma Supra; 3 May 2016, 12:20.
    More Lift.
    More Tyres.
    More Engine.

excellent job man! bet you happy having it back on the road
    the wolf is always bigger when you are scared!!

Comment

Originally posted by budweiser View Post
      excellent job man! bet you happy having it back on the road
      Very much so!!

220/500 miles done of running the gears in... I can't wait to put my foot down!
      More Lift.
      More Tyres.
      More Engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Karma Supra View Post
        I thought I'd pop some pics up, I know it's been mentioned before, and I have mentioned doing it for a while, but I just fitted and Landcruiser Prado/Colorado rear axle to my 3rd gen.

I picked this up from Paul at Westcoast 4x4 up in the Liverpool direction.

The main advantage for me was the disk brakes, I specifically wanted a prado one as I prefer to run a decent LSD (Trutrac) instead of an E locker, for V8 wheelspin reasons.

The axle itself is a direct swap, you can use the surf handbrake cable, and the surf master cylinder also works. I can't officially measure front rear brake bias, but in an emergency stop, the fronts lock up first.

As I was there anyway, I regeared to 4.88s and fitted a Trutrac to the front too.

I knew the front had a tooth missing last time I changed the oil... this time on draining it there was that familiar clunk..

Yup that was overdue changing.

Front and rear Diffs back from UKAxles in High Wycomb. Great guys, nice to deal with, and did a top job.

The rear axle casing had a fair bit more corrosion that I wanted, so I got a new casing from Milners.. Lovely and shiny and clean... However I decided I wanted the more durable finisk of POR15, so I rubbed it down and painted it.

POR15 EVERYTHING!

Rear wheel bearings were replace with new Toyota ones, Thanks TonyN for the swift turnaround! then painted... obviously.

Close up of the rear carrier. Yukon gears and Truetrac diff unit.

Makes a change working with new parts!

I tarted up the front driveshafts too... the inner CV boots are Allpro off road high angles ones (states order now 4 years old at over 3" lift and still good!) the outer ones are Milners polyurethane.

Landcruiser handbrake all rebuilt with new parts. Roughtrax shoe fitting kit, Pagid shoes... Masking tape to prevent oil contamination.

Calipers rebuilt and painted (never use halfords caliper paint.. its rubbish!) I couldn't resist the colour coded Goodridge stainless brake lines! (I have a surf set in silver spare now...)

Ready to go on.

I also acquired a set of adjustable rear arms from the states. they weren't the best fit so I changed the thickness on the uppers, and our very own Scott sorted me out some spacers for the Heim joints and correct sized bush inserts. I was concerned about ride quality and road harshness on these, but in all honesty I can't tell the difference,

Railway sleepers!

Hmm rear disks.

Rear calipers now match the front (I have Tundra ones there )

All fresh and shiny!

The overall effect.

The brakes are a huge huge improvement over the drums... plus its just another mod I had on my list.. that looks pretty much factory.

Of course you could just bung the landcruiser axle straight on (as long as the ratios match) but that's not how I like to do things!
        I fitted the exact same Truetracs to my front & rear Axle on my KZJ70 Land Cruiser. They make all the difference when offloading you would never know they are they. They do the job they need to when required and I've not yet got stuck

Where did you buy them from?

Comment

Originally posted by Karma Supra View Post

Yup, they seem largely unobtrusive.

I have been running in 4WD for the run in period to make sure the front diff gets the proper run in procedure too.. at first I didn't like the altered sensation through the steering feel.. but either its got a lot less, or I've got used to it in 650 miles.

Oil was changed yesterday, magnetic drain plugs cleaned!
          More Lift.
          More Tyres.
          More Engine.

Comment

I'm interested in your conversion - I have a Gen3 with a Colorado (ZJ95) axle (and no brake bias change) and have found the rear brakes lock up WAY before the fronts in short brake stabs (i.e. emergency braking) - It's OK in long slow applications but if you weight shift quickly the rear locks up and never

Comment

This is exactly what i'd like to do with my gen 3. The rear LSD seems to have stopped working so i think it's time to do the do. I'll read with interest from start to finish. I know it's been a while since anyone posted on this thread so apologies to drag it up. I haven't been by for a long time but glad to see the site is still running.
              Now it's time to play!

Comment

hi, hope you are keeping well.
                I'm thinking to fit a land cruiser 90 rear axle
                or a t100
                on my n130 surf and I'm looking to find out the measurements of each do you happen to know what is the with on yours without the wheels?
                many thanks
                the wolf is always bigger when you are scared!!

Comment

Working...
                X